The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm

I remember when this thread used to be about Ozil

Emery doesn't have a vendetta against him; after Ramsey was injured, Ozil became a starter, playing 77 mins of the EL final and starting against Valencia (2 legs) and Napoli (1 leg), teams who are much tougher than what we usually face in the PL. Ramsey offered more than Ozil last season, it's as simple as that. With Mhikytaryan gone, Ozil might get some game time now.

He just hasn't linked up well with Aubameyang and Lacazette as people had hoped he would; the famous "LMAO" never materialized. This season, he'll have to compete with D Ceballos and Pepe and maybe even Willock, it's TBD at this stage.

But even without Ozil, we aren't struggling to create good chances. We create tons of them, they just end up being missed by our top striker. That's not a problem Ozil can solve.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fenice » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:38 pm

So the counter is, he had great players that carried his team forward, like say, now? He isn’t good enough and it’s glaringly obvious. Even if he gets top 4 he’s gone. He isn’t capable of doing what the board or Edu want.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Emeryates » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Fenice wrote:So the counter is, he had great players that carried his team forward, like say, now? He isn’t good enough and it’s glaringly obvious. Even if he gets top 4 he’s gone. He isn’t capable of doing what the board or Edu want.

Every manager has great players that carried their team forward. Remove Salah and Mane from Klopp's team, remove Messi from Pep's treble team, remove Ronaldo from Zidane's three time winning CL team (And you can see this one in action), and none of them succeed. So Emery's success is down to players then. Shocker, just like every other manager out there.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Fenice » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Emeryates wrote:
Fenice wrote:So the counter is, he had great players that carried his team forward, like say, now? He isn’t good enough and it’s glaringly obvious. Even if he gets top 4 he’s gone. He isn’t capable of doing what the board or Edu want.

Every manager has great players that carried their team forward. Remove Salah and Mane from Klopp's team, remove Messi from Pep's treble team, remove Ronaldo from Zidane's three time winning CL team (And you can see this one in action), and none of them succeed. So Emery's success is down to players then. Shocker, just like every other manager out there.

Is that a joke? Klopp is an elite manager.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Emeryates » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:50 pm

Fenice wrote:
Emeryates wrote:

Who would also fail without players. Look at Dortmund's last season for an example of this in action. Reus was injured, and Gotze and Lewandowski were sold off, and they were on a train towards relegation. Reus came back from injury, along with Hummels, and they were no longer playing shit like Durm and Ginter, and they managed to get a good run of form and get Europa League

Not saying Emery is Klopp level, but it's the players that make a manager perform, no one, not Pep, not Jose, not Klopp, can get someone like Elneny and Jenkinson to look good.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Fenice wrote:
Emeryates wrote:

Why did he finish 8th in his first Lpool season then? And lose an EL final against Emery's shitty, defensive Sevilla side?

Could it be that after spending £300m+ over 3 years creating the lineup he wanted, he was able to challenge for the league and the CL?

He's elite, but he needs big money to succeed just like everybody else.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fenice » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 pm

I can’t believe people are comparing Emery to Klopp. This place has gone mental...
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Fenice wrote:I can’t believe people are comparing Emery to Klopp. This place has gone mental...

Klopp was given time. If emery is maybe he can do the same.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Ach wrote:
Fenice wrote:I can’t believe people are comparing Emery to Klopp. This place has gone mental...

Klopp was given time. If emery is maybe he can do the same.

:rofll:
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 pm

I should have said time and money. Like klopp got.

You are right to laugh.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:42 am

Desperate times for Cripps. The excuses just roll off his tongue.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:01 am

I genuinely have no idea what you're on about. But it is you I guess
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 am

Ach wrote:I should have said time and money. Like klopp got.

You are right to laugh.

In Klopp's 2nd season (first full season) for Liverpool he finished in the Top 4 and didn't spend anything. Liverpool ended up making a profit in the 2016/17 transfer window.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/liverpool ... lpos=&w_s=

Considering the amount we've spent this year, Top 4 under Emery is the bare minimum.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 am

Power n Glory wrote:

You are right to laugh.

In Klopp's 2nd season (first full season) for Liverpool he finished in the Top 4 and didn't spend anything. Liverpool ended up making a profit in the 2016/17 transfer window.

Considering the amount we've spent this year, Top 4 under Emery is the bare minimum.

When considering any squad especially when whom ever is in charge, 1st consideration should be who was in the squad on take over, 2nd what changes have been able to be made to the squad.
Emery first season should have been along the lines of "show me what you can do, what do you bring to the squad" this time would have been for players to earn their place at the club.
Imo he has got new players and gor rid of some we know it is still a work in progress.
Personally I think his want to bring a trophy last season to the club and fans was the sole reason of not making top 4. I think if he had those last four games over the team would have been alot different. Let's not forget how much the fans were after silverware
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

You are right to laugh.

When considering any squad especially when whom ever is in charge, 1st consideration should be who was in the squad on take over, 2nd what changes have been able to be made to the squad.
Emery first season should have been along the lines of "show me what you can do, what do you bring to the squad" this time would have been for players to earn their place at the club.
Imo he has got new players and gor rid of some we know it is still a work in progress.
Personally I think his want to bring a trophy last season to the club and fans was the sole reason of not making top 4. I think if he had those last four games over the team would have been alot different. Let's not forget how much the fans were after silverware

I don't think so. The Board appointed someone with a history of winning the Europa League and saw it as another way to get back into the CL. Winning that competition was one of the main objectives for him set by the board. It wasn't fan service. We missed out on the Top 4 by a point. It's not as if we dropped points to Palace, Wolves, Leicester and Brighton playing our bench players. All of our key players were starting those games if available.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club