The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Lolzil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm

"Cesc is ruined"

Lolzil
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 pm

We could have had him back for less than we paid for Xhaka.

Jesus wept.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 pm

You could argue ramsey’s 13/14 form is the reason we didn’t sign him...
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Sims wrote:You could argue ramsey’s 13/14 form is the reason we didn’t sign him...

Doesn't matter what the reason was.

Maybe Wenger's biggest fuck-up - which is saying something.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:05 am

Wenger's biggest fuck-up was buying Özil when we could have worked to get Cesc back instead. He was unhappy at Barca.

That was the beginning of the end for Wenger.
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 am

Andrew wrote:Wenger's biggest fuck-up was buying Özil when we could have worked to get Cesc back instead. He was unhappy at Barca.

That was the beginning of the end for Wenger.

Could have got both
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:We could have had him back for less than we paid for Xhaka.

Jesus wept.

This, now that would have been a good bit of business. Xhaka is not in the same league as Fab, don't like the way he left the club but is sure is a better player.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Goonerz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am

Angelito wrote:Everyone in their right mind would take Ozil over most central attacking midfield players in the world. I haven't seen a player who sees killer passes with such ease as Ozil. Unreal. He even managed to excel at Arsenal in spite of Wenger.

I think ozil is a very naturally talented player, no doubt. But over the top statements like this just come off as just over subjective.
I am not trying to be mean or anything. Right now ozil has a few months left of his contract but Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, United, Chelsea etc aren’t even mentioning him. All the top money clubs should be tripping over themselves right now to sign him on a free. But we have hardly got any transfer rumour or any offers for him going back to last summer. Barca were ready to spend £140 million for a Hit and miss Coutinho that not many on here rate at all.

I think ozil is a good player and has stepped up a level in the last 10 - 12 or so games, but i think people sometimes over do the hype when it comes to being objective toward him.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am

GoonerAlexandre wrote:Image
BEST PASSER EVER AT ARSENAL!
CESC <3
:hail:

That picture, lol.
The best ball passer (Cesc) and The best finger pointer (Flamini). Flamz spents most of his second stint at Arsenal pointing and instructing others where to position themselves while he himself did had no clue. Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 am

Goonerz wrote:
Angelito wrote:Everyone in their right mind would take Ozil over most central attacking midfield players in the world. I haven't seen a player who sees killer passes with such ease as Ozil. Unreal. He even managed to excel at Arsenal in spite of Wenger.

I think ozil is a very naturally talented player, no doubt. But over the top statements like this just come off as just over subjective.
I am not trying to be mean or anything. Right now ozil has a few months left of his contract but Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, United, Chelsea etc aren’t even mentioning him. All the top money clubs should be tripping over themselves right now to sign him on a free. But we have hardly got any transfer rumour or any offers for him going back to last summer. Barca were ready to spend £140 million for a Hit and miss Coutinho that not many on here rate at all.

I think ozil is a good player and has stepped up a level in the last 10 - 12 or so games, but i think people sometimes over do the hype when it comes to being objective toward him.

Unlike Alexis Ozil has always stayed quiet about his intentions .... however actions speak louder than words, or indeed silence, and as we all know he hasn't signed a new contract ....

If Alexis leaves in January it's been stated that he will personally 'lose' about 15m ... well he won't actually lose it but if City, Utd or anyone else pay 30m now it's just a transfer ... however come June there is no transfer, and Alexis himself could easily expect a 15m signing on fee ....

My guess is that Ozil has this 'signing on fee' as a plan .... he will see out his contract and then move .... he may well have already signed an agreement with a European club, he's perfectly entitled to do that from January 1st ...

Of course in June he may decide to stay .... then it will be us paying him a 15m bonus for not signing a contract ... you couldn't make that piss poor management up, and yet our manager gets paid 9m a year to make these decisions ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:2007-2010 Cesc was as good as it gets tbh.

Yeah, ironic he's half the player he was at Arsenal as he's been for Chelsea yet he won 3 trophies and none with us at his peak.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am

Angelito wrote:
Dejan wrote:havent seen cesc play then

I did - looking out of place at Barca and being overshadowed by Xavi, who he was supposed to replace - and ending up playing as Messi's sub as a false #9.

Soz I don't live in 2009.

This is post of 2018, I will be surprised if it is bettered !!! Honest, funny yet very true :rofll: :hail:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am

GoonerAlexandre wrote:Cesc has technically won the 2003/04 PL trophy at Arsenal, has Ozil ever gone invincible?

Cesc also actually has more trophies than Ozil can even dream of

CESC <3

Look at the absolute dross Ozil has had to play with in the past 5 years FFS !!! Fabregas had a smorgasbord of talent lined up to play alongside him at Arsenal. And we still won more with Ozil !

Don't get me wrong I am not dissing Fabregas, he is definitely one of the best players to play for Arsenal in the post Highbury era, but I also rate Ozil just as highly.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Goonerz wrote:

Barcelona were considering him if no Coutihno, Utd have said they want him.

Are they not big enough?

Also maybe things are quieter with Ozil because he hasn't hoisted a come and get me flag like Sanchez has.

Ozil still may opt to sign on with Arsenal, that's why clubs have not been put on high alert.

If he goes he'll end up at a top 4 club, believe it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Goonerz wrote:

Barcelona were considering him if no Coutihno, Utd have said they want him.

Are they not big enough?

Also maybe things are quieter with Ozil because he hasn't hoisted a come and get me flag like Sanchez has.

Ozil still may opt to sign on with Arsenal, that's why clubs have not been put on high alert.

If he goes he'll end up at a top 4 club, believe it.

Nonsense.
Goonerz is 100% right.
Big clubs wouldn't avoid a player they want because he "may opt" to stay .
If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed ages ago. He's staying because no big club wants him.

That's more than obvious.
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club