The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:13 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:16 pm

A lot of misinformation regarding Ozil and German national team.

Ozil being a peripheral player in 2014 WC is non sense.

Ozil was asked to fill in the void on the wing with Reus having gone down to injury.

Low asked Ozil to shift to the wing because he wanted fill Reus's spot while retaining the creativity that Ozil provided.

This is not his preferred position but he complied.

The German National team went out of back to back Euros because of two other players actually, not Ozil.

In 2012, Schwinsteiger was actually injured but he kept playing and Low kept playing him. He was a liability and it cost the German team.

In 2016, Muller was very unproductive. He gave the National team nothing in a campaign they needed him to step up. The Germans could not convert their chances.

In both these tournaments Ozil was one of their best players.

His decline was in the last World Cup.

Low was a big fan of Ozil because he made his attack tick.
Last edited by Mike Dean on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby themessiah » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Angelito wrote:

Giroud without Mesut- scoring prolifically. Mesut without Giroud - benched by three managers, cannot even get into the squad. Who gave whom a career? :dontknow: :sneaky2: :sneaky:
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Angelito wrote:

More painful was that Giroud's dry spell cost us the title that year.

Talk about terrible timing.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:23 pm

themessiah wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Giroud without Mesut- scoring prolifically. Mesut without Giroud - benched by three managers, cannot even get into the squad. Who gave whom a career? :dontknow: :sneaky2: :sneaky:

A declining Ozil of today used as a standard? :biggrin:

Ozil had a reputation for assists before he came to Arsenal.

Safe to stay Giroud didnt exactly contribute to his career.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Has he gone yet?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:04 am

EliteKiller wrote:Has he gone yet?

:pray: :pray:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby VCC » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:23 am

Goodnight irene
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:03 pm

I think another coffin is needed ... this time for Goonerz .... man just got napalmed.

theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby gamechannel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think another coffin is needed ... this time for Goonerz .... man just got napalmed.

What did I miss? Lol
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 pm

Gamechannel, to cut a long story short Aniym put up a list of games and for the most part said Ozil did a big fat nothing in those games. I had time on my hands so I googled match reports and player ratings. of the 14 or so games listed Ozil had a rating above 5 out of 10 for approx 65% of the games, which suggests he was a high average or more. Clearly then the opinion that Ozil did nothing is a false narrative. I put links to all the reviews too.

Aniym's coffin swiftly followed his demise in the thread :rofll:

https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28687&start=20250
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Ozil to Turkey...should be a Tayyip in! :arse fan:
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 am

theHotHead wrote:Gamechannel, to cut a long story short Aniym put up a list of games and for the most part said Ozil did a big fat nothing in those games. I had time on my hands so I googled match reports and player ratings. of the 14 or so games listed Ozil had a rating above 5 out of 10 for approx 65% of the games, which suggests he was a high average or more. Clearly then the opinion that Ozil did nothing is a false narrative. I put links to all the reviews too.

You do know that the average player rating in the EPL is around 6.7 every year .... so "above 5" does not mean above average .... your claim that over 5 is "high average or more" can quickly be evidenced as false just by looking at any EPL ratings site. .

If you don't understand the statistic you are using it's best not to make false assumptions. In the 14 games listed in that tweet Ozil was below the game average player rating 11 times, so very evidently not "above average" ....

All the following data is from whoscored

In 2016/17 Ozil averaged 7.3 - well above the season's player average of 6.8
In 20171/8 Ozil averaged 7.25 - still well above the season's player average of 6.6
In 2018/19 Ozil averaged 6.78 - almost level with the season's player average of 6.75
In 2019/20 Ozil averaged 6.71 - just slightly below the season's player average of 6.74

Ozil was no question an above average player and even now he's still an average player ... but the trend is all one way

FYI - Pepe was our top ranked player this season at 7.06 - Ozil at 6.71 was ranked only 12th .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:44 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Gamechannel, to cut a long story short Aniym put up a list of games and for the most part said Ozil did a big fat nothing in those games. I had time on my hands so I googled match reports and player ratings. of the 14 or so games listed Ozil had a rating above 5 out of 10 for approx 65% of the games, which suggests he was a high average or more. Clearly then the opinion that Ozil did nothing is a false narrative. I put links to all the reviews too.

You do know that the average player rating in the EPL is around 6.7 every year .... so "above 5" does not mean above average .... your claim that over 5 is "high average or more" can quickly be evidenced as false just by looking at any EPL ratings site. .

If you don't understand the statistic you are using it's best not to make false assumptions. In the 14 games listed in that tweet Ozil was below the game average player rating 11 times, so very evidently not "above average" ....

All the following data is from whoscored

In 2016/17 Ozil averaged 7.3 - well above the season's player average of 6.8
In 20171/8 Ozil averaged 7.25 - still well above the season's player average of 6.6
In 2018/19 Ozil averaged 6.78 - almost level with the season's player average of 6.75
In 2019/20 Ozil averaged 6.71 - just slightly below the season's player average of 6.74

Ozil was no question an above average player and even now he's still an average player ... but the trend is all one way

FYI - Pepe was our top ranked player this season at 7.06 - Ozil at 6.71 was ranked only 12th .....

The scores / ratings from whoscored are a combination of all aspects of the game and also get adjusted for team performance. They do not represent a players rating according to his key strengths. Ozil's numbers will always be downweighted due to his defensive contrinution which is awful.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 am

jayramfootball wrote:The scores / ratings from whoscored are a combination of all aspects of the game and also get adjusted for team performance. They do not represent a players rating according to his key strengths. Ozil's numbers will always be downweighted due to his defensive contrinution which is awful.

You can always argue that a ratings criteria favours one player over another, however ratings treat all players the same, there is no "down-weighting" for not doing something, that's simply a myth. All ratings sites score players on what they do, not on what they don't do - If you think about that no goalkeeper, defender, or striker would ever achieve high ratings as they don't play an all around game ... your premise that "his defensive contribution which is awful causes a down-weighting" is simply wrong, there is no negative impact from not doing something, it's just his lost opportunity.

The reality is that if Ozil defended better he would improve his score, ergo he would be a better player ... something I think we all already know.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club