The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby ESR10 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:39 am

So he is probably further down the pecking order with Denis coming.

If we continue to play 4-4-2 Diamond there is only one place for a creative midfielder on the pitch in most games. Maybe in some easier games there will be two.

So Emery will choose one (or two) of:
- Iwobi
- Ramsey
- Suarez
- Özil
- Mkhi

I can't see Özil getting much game tbh. Sad how it worked out for him in the last 6 months. I blame him not to adapt better, I was disappointed with his form after the long absence in the last two games. I want him to be stronger, bounce back and prove Emery wrong. I was expecting this will from him. Özils soft character is the worst about him.
I also blame Emery for not knowing how to get the best out of our most talented player.

If it didn't work out for him and we improved under Emery without Özil influencing our games enough to justify his pay wage, then it's time to say goodbye in the summer.

Come on, Mesut. Man up and change your situation at the club and let the haters eat their words.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby immsun » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 am

Mustafi wrote:So he is probably further down the pecking order with Denis coming.

If we continue to play 4-4-2 Diamond there is only one place for a creative midfielder on the pitch in most games. Maybe in some easier games there will be two.

- Iwobi
- Ramsey
- Suarez
- Özil
- Mkhi

I can't see Özil getting much game tbh. Sad how it worked out for him in the last 6 months. I blame him not to adapt better, I was disappointed with his form after the long absence in the last two games. I want him to be stronger, bounce back and prove Emery wrong. I was expecting this will from him. Özils soft character is the worst about him.
I also blame Emery for not knowing how to get the best out of our most talented player.

If it didn't work out for him and we improved under Emery without Özil influencing our games enough to justify his pay wage, then it's time to say goodbye in the summer.

Come on, Mesut. Man up and change your situation at the club and let the haters eat their words.

I dont get this logic that Mesut needs to adapt.

What does he need to adapt too? Is there a system or plan that Emery is doing right now? I see none actually. Its all too unpredictable under him just like it was last season.

Manager needs to get the best out of the player. Mesut needs runner in the team and needs to play further up in the middle.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:04 pm

immsun wrote:I dont get this logic that Mesut needs to adapt.

What does he need to adapt too? Is there a system or plan that Emery is doing right now? I see none actually.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not there, I and I think most people see it perfectly well with the Chelsea game being the epitome of what he's after and we know that because the team was obviously playing to instructions in that game.

What your alluding to are two things, one Emery tinkering with formations which he's now settled on a formation namely a 4-3-3 or last few games he's adapted that to a diamond and Two the players not being suitable to play the way Emery wants hence the tinkering and hence why it falls apart at times.

There are too many squad members that he's lumbered with especially Wenger's players who aren't offering enough or aren't suitable namely ..... Xhaka, Mustafi, Kos Mhkitarayan, Ozil and we could def need someone to play games wide instead of Auba.

As far as Ozil is concerned, there's nothing wrong with him per say, he's still a top quality player, but the way he plays doesn't fit Emery's system of fast, direct attacking and tracking back and pressing as a team.

I don't know if the Diamond formation is an attempt to fit him in? guess we'll have to see.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:13 pm

immsun wrote:
Mustafi wrote:So he is probably further down the pecking order with Denis coming.

- Iwobi
- Ramsey
- Suarez
- Özil
- Mkhi

What does he need to adapt too? Is there a system or plan that Emery is doing right now? I see none actually. Its all too unpredictable under him just like it was last season.

Manager needs to get the best out of the player. Mesut needs runner in the team and needs to play further up in the middle.

He does literally no work off the ball.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Phil71 wrote:
immsun wrote:

- Iwobi
- Ramsey
- Suarez
- Özil
- Mkhi

And thats the reason to mothball one of the best creative midfielders in the world !! Jeepers f***ing creepers man ! Its not like Arsenal are blessed with creative talent
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:There are too many squad members that he's lumbered with especially Wenger's players who aren't offering enough or aren't suitable namely ..... Xhaka, Mustafi, Kos Mhkitarayan, Ozil and we could def need someone to play games wide instead of Auba.

As far as Ozil is concerned, there's nothing wrong with him per say, he's still a top quality player, but the way he plays doesn't fit Emery's system of fast, direct attacking and tracking back and pressing as a team.

I don't know if the Diamond formation is an attempt to fit him in? guess we'll have to see.

Thew problem is if all we do is attack from wide areas its predictable and its not like we have a target man to convert these crosses. What we need is guile down the middle too, to give teams something to think about. When Ozil is played further forward he sees those passes others don't, hence why none of us that defend Ozil want to see him tracking back, he can't do any damage. Ozil played best for us when he had Cazorla in midfield because Cazorla was technically superb and he linked up well with Ozil, he could carry the ball forward and Ozil saw plenty of the ball. You had Theo making runs from outside to in.

It could be that Denis Suarez is more like Cazorla and I'm hoping Emery plays both Suarez and Ozil together, Ozil needs quality around him and he needs good movement. He's still got it.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:54 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
immsun wrote:

- Iwobi
- Ramsey
- Suarez
- Özil
- Mkhi

And thats the reason to mothball one of the best creative midfielders in the world !! Jeepers f***ing creepers man ! Its not like Arsenal are blessed with creative talent

You talk about Klopp and Pochettino. Watch how their teams play. Shirkers are not tolerated. They demand 100% effort from every player in every aspect of the game.

That is why Klopp was so ready to let Coutinho leave.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Loool, yeah right, it had nothing to do with the £160m or whatever it was that they got for him :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 pm

There will always be a f***ing scapegoat. Ozil is singled out because he doesn't track back. Welbeck was singled out because he was too good at tracking back qnd the defensive game.

Its all bollox. People just dont like players so they have to find faults.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 pm

Tbf welbeck is horrendous.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Ach wrote:Tbf welbeck is horrendous.

Welbeck is a valued squad player.

Yes his bambi on ice antics can get a bit eye rolling but the man comes in and scores goals as well as tracks back.

He'll never be first choice but he's certainly a great squad player.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Yes his bambi on ice antics can get a bit eye rolling but the man comes in and scores goals as well as tracks back.

Yep
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 pm

theHotHead wrote:There will always be a f***ing scapegoat. Ozil is singled out because he doesn't track back. Welbeck was singled out because he was too good at tracking back qnd the defensive game.

Its all bollox. People just dont like players so they have to find faults.

I’ve already said I think Özil is a good player, and I don’t hold him responsible for any of our failings.

But he obviously doesn’t fit with how the new manager wants us to play, and he doesn’t seem to want to adapt, so he has to go.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zenith » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Rockape wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Yep
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Welbeck scores goals?

He's a striker. Look at the clubs he's played for. Has he ever hit 15+?

How many times has he got 10+?

He's the same player every single one of us laughed at whilst he was at mancs.

But he does the same here and he's a good squad player?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club