The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby PairyGrows » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:03 pm

The last few pages of this thread illustrate perfectly why a rational discussion about racism cannot take place anywhere these days.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 pm

PairyGrows wrote:The last few pages of this thread illustrate perfectly why a rational discussion about racism cannot take place anywhere these days.

Tbh I think its pathetic its talked about so much and is even still happening to the extent it is.

I actually feel racism is more rife now and especially headlining media and discussion points more now than it ever was in the 90's.

In fact I don't remember people even talking about race in the 90's.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:25 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:The last few pages of this thread illustrate perfectly why a rational discussion about racism cannot take place anywhere these days.

Tbh I think its pathetic its talked about so much and is even still happening to the extent it is.

I actually feel racism is more rife now and especially headlining media and discussion points more now than it ever was in the 90's.

lol u joking?

Rodney King & LA riots, OJ Simpson...
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby LMAO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Nah, it's like people feeling the world is more unsafe now than it was 20 years ago. The 24 hour news makes things seem worse than they are.

I'm only one data point, but imo, racism has decreased over the years.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:31 am

I think the internet and Twitter especially which provides a platform for 8 billion people to share their opinions makes it seem like racism is more prevalent.

The internet subjects us to everyone's opinion.

In the 90s you would only hear or read what was said by people you were in contact with or on the news/in print.

Nowadays there are 2000 comments by random plebs after every article published on any site.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:37 am

Plz wreck Kante for the fifth time in row tomorrow idolo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

I'm sorry Diamond but that has got to be one of the most stupid and ill thought of comments ever posted on here and that's f***ing saying something.

That you say you don't remember is your only saving grace if you were like in a coma or on a remote island in the outer hebrides or something for a decade.

Even the biggest British comedy ever, referenced Nelson Mandela house to which you would be the only person going 'who?', otherwise you must have been auditioning for 'Tommy' as a genuine deaf, dumb and blind kid to be oblivious to the Steven Lawrence case.

This is seriously offensive.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:44 am

LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nah, it's like people feeling the world is more unsafe now than it was 20 years ago. The 24 hour news makes things seem worse than they are.

I'm only one data point, but imo, racism has decreased over the years.

Yeah, decreased to the point that nobody is scratching their head wondering how come the number of black managers equate to less than 1% yet number of black players over 40%.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Emery: Özil must defend

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Emery: Özil must defend

The Spaniard has called for full commitment ahead of Saturday's trip to Chelsea and insists Ozil, who has been criticised in the past for a perceived lack of effort at times, will be expected to give his all when defending for the team.

When asked about the defensive duties placed on Ozil during the defeat to City, Emery replied: "Every player needs to [defend] in the true moment of a match.

"There are defensive moments and attacking moments. Every player each needs this commitment. For me, we need to start together, whether we are attacking or defending. I want that from every player.

"The position, [Ozil] is playing all his career like a number 10-player, like a right-winger going inside to receive the ball.

"It's clear he needs the ball more to give more options in the attacking moments. He needs to do [it] in each match, be demanding for us but defensive moments are for each and every player."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... or-arsenal
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Emery: Özil must defend

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Emery is asking EVERYONE to contribute defensively. He is asking about collective defensive philosophy. He is saying Özil is free to move in and dictate but he has to contribute defensively as well. I see no harm in what he is saying. My whole point is that in EPL everyone has to have some sort of defensive responsibility.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Good stuff, everyone expected to putva shift in. We've been missing that sort of mentality. He also didn't make it personal about Ozil despite the question being asked about Ozil. Loving Emery so far!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dynamite » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Emery confirmed racist
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Good stuff, everyone expected to putva shift in. We've been missing that sort of mentality. He also didn't make it personal about Ozil despite the question being asked about Ozil. Loving Emery so far!

I have always wanted collective defensive philosophy and it's nice to see Emery stressing on that.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

No problem with that.

I don't expect Ozil to just stand around and let players run past him and make no attempt and he doesn't do that. He gets back but people criticise him for not making crunching challenges, winning the ball etc

Know the player
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

i like how the papers are running this like it's directly aimed at mesut

just claiming everyone should be putting a shift in, which we saw mesut do against city anyway
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club