The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 am

Marsbar100 wrote:Haven't seen any evidence of racism, if someone who isn't a white European is critisced the racism card is always thrown.

Not sure if serious

Didn't have you down as a racist sympathiser. Learn something new every day
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Haven't seen any evidence of racism, if someone who isn't a white European is critisced the racism card is always thrown.

Not sure if serious

All I see is he was criticized for having a photo with someone that people think he shouldn't have, I don't no enough about erdogan to know whether he should be critisced for it.

If England players were photographed with Tony Blair I would find it pretty difficult to support them tbh, doesn't mean I am racist.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Jedi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am

Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:We won trophies when Ozil came to Arsenal. Argument done.

We also finished outside of the Top 4 for the first time in 20 years when Ozil joined too. We have finished 5th and 6th in two consecutive seasons with Ozil has our supposed best player. Season 3 and we still look like finishing outside of the Top 4.
Is this also due to Ozil? Or only when we do good then it’s due to Ozil and his presence?

We finished 4th, 3rd and 2nd and then Xhaka came and everything fell apart
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:18 am

Another aryan coming out and saying racism doesn’t exist in the dfb set up

Quelle surprise
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am

Marsbar100 wrote:
Ach wrote:

Not sure if serious

All I see is he was criticized for having a photo with someone that people think he shouldn't have, I don't no enough about erdogan to know whether he should be critisced for it.

If England players were photographed with Tony Blair I would find it pretty difficult to support them tbh, doesn't mean I am racist.

Erdogan is as about as lovable as your run-of-the-mill autocrat. Also, given some of his remarks about Germany, it's no wonder the Germans don't hold him in such a high regard.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 am

PairyGrows wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
Ach wrote:

Not sure if serious

Erdogan is as about as lovable as your run-of-the-mill autocrat. Also, given some of his remarks about Germany, it's no wonder the Germans don't hold him in such a high regard.

................. whether that's true or not is not the point.

The point is a photo shouldn't follow questions over your nationality and racist chants and mail from fans etc.

If a white German had taken a pic with Trump, would the German media be saying things like "Well is he "really" a German?" no they wouldn't.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CaptGooner » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

In the latest German Trend poll, the majority of Germans believe racism is still a big problem. This was consistent for both immigrants and non-immigrants.

The only political spectrum that did not have a majority belief of this was the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD).
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:41 am

In my 40 years of life I have learned that racism exist pretty much every where.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am

StLGooner wrote:In my 40 years of life I have learned that racism exist pretty much every where.

And equally within every part of society. White, black, Asian, African...
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Sims wrote:Another aryan coming out and saying racism doesn’t exist in the dfb set up

Quelle surprise

Think it's more xenophobia than racism but yeah.

Kroos should just shut up. He's not part of the administration and Ozil hasn't accused his team-mates of racism.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
Ach wrote:

Not sure if serious

................. whether that's true or not is not the point.

The point is a photo shouldn't follow questions over your nationality and racist chants and mail from fans etc.

If a white German had taken a pic with Trump, would the German media be saying things like "Well is he "really" a German?" no they wouldn't.

Let's put aside the issue of whether the Germans and the German media are, by and large, racist. That may or may not be true. I don't know enough about the media coverage of the incident in Germany nor the attitudes of the Germans to arrive at one conclusion or the other.

What I'm interested in are Ozil's claims of systemic racism within the German FA. He calls out the chairman of the DFB Reinhard Grindel and criticises him harshly. Now, I don't think that's justified. Even if the fans and/or the media say something racist doesn't mean Grindel endorses it.

That's basically my take on this.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm

First of all, a nationality isn't a race. By questioning if someone is German or not, is not racist. Germans are not a race, neither are Turks. If you were crazy in love with a nationality that would make you a xenophile. If you hated a country, that would make you a xenophobe.

What then is a race? It's a distinct difference in the outward look of a person, most notably skin colour.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:First of all, a nationality isn't a race. By questioning if someone is German or not, is not racist. Germans are not a race, neither are Turks. If you were crazy in love with a nationality that would make you a xenophile. If you hated a country, that would make you a xenophobe.

What then is a race? It's a distinct difference in the outward look of a person, most notably skin colour.
Semantics... what you say may be true but it doesn't reflect the way we use racism as a word today. Özil's treatment during three last few months was racist, end of.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Also lmao at the 'white man claims there is no racism' shocker
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Still haven't seen this racism lol