The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:56 pm

The guy is quality but he needs a stern manager+incredible team around him, wenger can't provide this.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Slick » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I always thought Ozil would have a tough time playing in England. His game is more suited for the other leagues. You've got to be a tough SOB to stand up to the grind in the EPL.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Slick wrote:I always thought Ozil would have a tough time playing in England. His game is more suited for the other leagues. You've got to be a tough SOB to stand up to the grind in the EPL.

I think your proven to be right, really skeptical about this illness think that he might have looked at the schedule of 2 games in 3 days and thought f**k that, still he is the most efficinet passer in the world, he can be a great player for us, just needs to be used right.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby BS221B » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:37 pm

a midfield with ozil and xhaka would never ever work. both are defensively awful. Perhaps Wenger really wants to get rid of Ozil and planning to play Wilshere, Xhaka and Ramsey on next season.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:11 am

Okay, this is getting cringe-worthy now. We're having a go at Ozil for being ill/not showing up when he's ill?

At this stage, that's the official word. Unless Ozil's in contact with you lot, just accept it instead of finding ludicrous reasons to further your agenda.

Any other irrational post here, or logical fallacy, and this thread gets locked. Enough of this shit.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 am

Arsene said Ozil is coming into training today to be assessed by the club doctor
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 am

Angelito wrote:Okay, this is getting cringe-worthy now. We're having a go at Ozil for being ill/not showing up when he's ill?

At this stage, that's the official word. Unless Ozil's in contact with you lot, just accept it instead of finding ludicrous reasons to further your agenda.

Any other irrational post here, or logical fallacy, and this thread gets locked. Enough of this shit.

Think it's telling that any reply to some of the knee jerk responses here gets ignored completely by those trying to call Ozil out.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Big17 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:46 pm

State of him ffs. He looks awful

Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm

BS221B wrote:Real Madrid is argument is invalid from what i have learned on GW.

He got carried by Khedira and Modric there, and in last season he got carried by Ramsey. We dont need a luxury players like Ozil, we need warriors like Iwobi and Ramsey.

Speak for yourself ! Clearly you are trying to entertain some upset/annoyed Arsenal fans with a spot of comedy, say it aint so !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I can be honest, when we first bought Ozil I saw him as a luxury player, a top player but a luxury we could ill afford at the time because we could not defend for toffee. But Ozil offers a level of quality that a top manager should be able to tap into. Ozil's role should not include tackling back and being defensive. Messi does zero defending and even Gareth Bale these days thinks defending is beneath him. Ozil is not a physical player, he is all about craft and touch, I don't want to see him defending, I want to see him damage teams offensively.

Its lazy journalism to say Ozil is lazy, stats have already proved he is in the top 5 of Arsenal players for distance covered in a match. A lot of his running is subtle, he is not a box to box midfielder that catches the eye so you won't see him make lung busting runs from one end of the pitch to the other, instead he drifts between lines and finds space, he is always on the move.

Complaining that Ozil does not defend is like buying a supercar and complaining there is no space for the shopping. Ozil is there to provide goals and assists and thats just what he does. It is not Ozil's fault that he is surrounded by water carriers and squanderers of chances. It is clear to me that many fans simply don't understand football, its one thing to have an opinion, but to say stupid shit like Wilshere is better/more effective than Ozil or that we need Ramsey and Iwobi shows an embarrassing lack of knowledge.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:47 pm

rammixp wrote:I thought the same thing after watching the interview.

Very odd!! I will admit my first thought was that Ozil just takes time off over Xmas as I want to say he usually has not been available at this time of the year for at least one or 2 games, not done any research to back that up.

He missed Newcastle and Cardiff in 13/14 with a shoulder injury
He was out for 3 months that included Xmas with knee ligaments 14/15
He played all over 15/16
But missed 2 this year thru illness
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby ESR10 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Özil denys in a kicker interview, that financial issues are the problem with renewing his contract. He says, he feels comfortable at the club. He still wants to see, what Wenger will do. He said, that Wenger brought him here and the club knows that he's here at Arsenal because of him.

I love Özil, but Wenger should go in every case. Maybe if we got a manager with a great profile, he could convince Özil to stay. We get some cheap manager and Özil is gone as it seems
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Sims » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 pm

yep, the sun done a piece on the kicker article

"Mesut Ozil is ready to sign a new contract at Arsenal beyond his current deal until 2018 but he wants reassurance about who will be his boss.

The debate about German ace's long-term future has been dragging on with both parties keen to come to an agreement.

And Ozil says it's more about personnel than it is money despite claims his demands for wages are too much more than his current £140,000-a-week.

The German ace told Kicker: “I am very, very happy at Arsenal and have let the club know that I would be ready to sign a new contract.

"The fans want that I stay and now it is just down to the club.

“The club knows that I am here most of all because of Arsene Wenger. He is the one who signed me and he is the one whose trust I have.

"The club also knows that I want to be clear [who] the manager is going to [be]."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... rs-9586177

last line is very very interesting
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Love Ozil but I'd rather see him leave than Wenger stay
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 pm

same piece in the guardian makes it seem clear that he wants arsene to say

Özil, who signed for Arsenal in 2013 after three years at Real Madrid, added that his decision to sign a new contract or not was not money-related: “The club knows that I am here most of all because of Arsène Wenger. He is the one who signed me and he is the one whose trust I have. The club also knows that I want to be clear what the manager is going to [in the future].” Wenger’s contract runs out in 2017.

also banters off thierry

Özil has been criticised for not signing a new contract by, among others, Thierry Henry, who said that the German international and Alexis Sánchez were “holding the club hostage” with their wage demands.

Özil, however, said he does not care what former players are saying about him as they do not know the full story about what is going on. He said: “Everyone has a right to say what they want but what they have to say doesn’t interest me. Ex-players or other people who have a view don’t know what is actually being said between me and the club.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club