The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gamechannel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 am

gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

gamechannel wrote:

Yep - Ozil absolutely blows every other Arsenal player away in terms of chances created per game - even at his worst over the last 2 seasons.

It's an absolutely nonsensical decision to have banished him from the team, let alone the squad.

I think Arteta has basically used Ozil as a statement to usher in his authoritative approach and make himself the 'big man'. It's plain stupid.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:25 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Haven’t scored a goal from open play in 431 minutes. Why is this guy not the first name on the team sheet? What the f is going on at Arsenal?

Why are you posting about a player not in the squad being "first name on the team-sheet" you must know that's impossible.

Maybe if nobody takes him off our hands in January you can have him back in the squad ... but until then what's the point of posting this after every game?

To highlight the absurdity of the situation. Why are you on this thread if you don’t like it? If you’ve moved on, then move on.

Keep hoping to here that he's gone - contract cancelled - not finding the same repetitive idiocy posted after every game ... we all know the situation, it's not changing until January, so why post it every week?

It's going to be discussed - as it should be - whilst we are putting in such pathetic creative performances.
The fans need to to let Arteta know what a complete brain fart of a decision he made.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:43 am

To endear himself to the powers that be, Arteta took on the responsibility of getting the players to take a pay cut. When Ozil told him to go do one, he got offended. Since then Arteta and the club have been painting Ozil as some misfit yet they never give us evidence as to what he is failing to do or should be doing. Meanwhile we are in the bottom half of the table and falling every week.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

gamechannel wrote:

When Pepe is your current most creative footballer, you have to look at yourself and know that you f***ked up, you f***ked up the team's chances, you f***ked up big time.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:49 pm

ridiculous decision, was at the start and highlighted more with every passing week. It won't change in January, he can't do what Emery did and go back on it, it'll destroy his whole approach. He simply has to stick with his dumb mistake and try buy someone in January that will cover it up.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:55 pm

It's messed the whole season up so far
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 pm

btw I have no doubt some of the players are questioning his call to leave Ozil out of all squads. I think he's on thin ice with them and potentially on the verge of losing them like Unai did.

Ozil is popular inside and outside of the squad, top players wont like seeing it and our forwards especially will get fed up knowing he's there on his couch when they're feeding on scraps.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Santi wrote:ridiculous decision, was at the start and highlighted more with every passing week. It won't change in January, he can't do what Emery did and go back on it, it'll destroy his whole approach. He simply has to stick with his dumb mistake and try buy someone in January that will cover it up.

Yup. He’s dug himself a deep one with the Ozil stunt.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:20 pm

swipe right wrote:
Santi wrote:ridiculous decision, was at the start and highlighted more with every passing week. It won't change in January, he can't do what Emery did and go back on it, it'll destroy his whole approach. He simply has to stick with his dumb mistake and try buy someone in January that will cover it up.

Yup. He’s dug himself a deep one with the Ozil stunt.

That is exactly what it was - a stunt. A new insecure manager coming in wanted to make some kind of big statement and he saw his chance.
Rookie error.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Santi wrote:btw I have no doubt some of the players are questioning his call to leave Ozil out of all squads. I think he's on thin ice with them and potentially on the verge of losing them like Unai did.

Ozil is popular inside and outside of the squad, top players wont like seeing it and our forwards especially will get fed up knowing he's there on his couch when they're feeding on scraps.

There is no difference between him not being on the team sheet (March - August 2020) and him not being registered; he is out of sight and out of mind when it comes to the rest of the team. He had a pretty barren run under Arteta even when he did play.

I'm sure he is on good terms with all the players, but who's really pushing for him to be in the squad? He's not even in training anymore, and he hasn't played professionally since March; you can't reintroduce him and expect fireworks, when his lack of output dates back to 2018.

There's a reason his name is primarily associated with "chances created" these days, the most bullshit, subjective stat there is. If Pepe is leading that table, it's pretty meaningless.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 pm

aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:btw I have no doubt some of the players are questioning his call to leave Ozil out of all squads. I think he's on thin ice with them and potentially on the verge of losing them like Unai did.

There is no difference between him not being on the team sheet (March - August 2020) and him not being registered; he is out of sight and out of mind when it comes to the rest of the team. He had a pretty barren run under Arteta even when he did play.

I'm sure he is on good terms with all the players, but who's really pushing for him to be in the squad? He's not even in training anymore, and he hasn't played professionally since March; you can't reintroduce him and expect fireworks, when his lack of output dates back to 2018.

There's a reason his name is primarily associated with "chances created" these days, the most bullshit, subjective stat there is. If Pepe is leading that table, it's pretty meaningless.

Utter BS.
He is very much on people's minds. Even Arteta's as he is constantly questioned about it.
Rightly so, given our lack of creativity.

You also need to learn to read.
Pepe is leading because he has played more games - on a chances created per 90 minutes Ozil blows everyone else (and most of the PL) away...and no, chances created is not a meaningless stat. It is one of the most important stats there is. It is directly correlated to goals scored and our main issue right now is that we are not creating enough chances.

Even during Ozils last year two years in and out of the team, under different managers his chances created per game is DOUBLE that of anyone else on that list. At his best, he is 3 to 4 times better than anyone else in our squad.

You seem to be having trouble admitting that you anti Ozil bias has proven to be folly.
The jig is up. It is obvious to even the most entrenched fool that we need Ozil.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Dejan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:42 pm

I dont think ozil is very populair at all.
During his absences in unais and mikels tenure, none barely said anything.

Also, auba and ozil have a mediocre infield connection.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Well they’re all liking his posts on insta even when he’s against the club. I don’t think even the players actually expected him not to be registered at all and, even if they could buy into it and partially understand it at the time, every passing game with no creativity will also grain on them and have them wondering why he’s sat there doing nothing.

Also this bs that he isn’t training, where did that come from Aniym?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Santi wrote:Also this bs that he isn’t training, where did that come from Aniym?

He's not training with the senior team is what I meant. But looking into it, I can't find any evidence that he's doing any kind of regular training at all. I don't mean joining the team to train while on holiday, which Henry, Pires and others often did after leaving. I mean training with the regularity needed to gain match fitness. This is the last tweet I found regarding this.

Last weekend, Sokratis was in the starting XI w/ the U23s v Everton. He clearly expects to continue playing in a senior role, either in Jan or in the summer. Nothing from Ozil. He isn't in the U23 squad as far as I can tell. As such, I'd assume he's not training with them either.

Ozil's good friend Merts heads up the academy. Steve Bould is the coach and wouldn't have any reason to exclude Ozil. Even then, we only hear about Ozil on Twitter. That tells me the guy won't kick a ball for us again under any circumstances.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club