The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 pm

elkanofan wrote:The amount of failures at Old Trafford over the years when we had far, far better teams than Emery did! Emery with a poverty squad a squad worse than the one which got truly f***ked 8-2 got a draw! Its not the best result but it's not the end of the world.

I'm absolutely convinced you're an Emery Stan.

In what world is

Leno
Chambers - Sokratis - Luiz - Kolasinac
Torreira (55’) - Xhaka - Guendouzi
Pepe (74’) - Auba - Saka (80’)

SUBS: Martinez (GK), Holding, Maitland-Niles, Ceballos (55’), Willock (80’), Nelson (74’), Martinelli

worse than

Szczesny
Jenkinson - Djourou - Koscielny - Traore
Ramsey - Coquelin (62’) - Rosicky
Walcott (83’) - Van Persie (83’) - Arshavin

SUBS: Fabianksi (GK), Miquel, Lansbury (83’), Oxlade-Chamberlain (62’), Ozyakup, Sunu, Chamakh (83’)

?

Eat a snickers.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby gamechannel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 am

LMAO wrote:
elkanofan wrote:The amount of failures at Old Trafford over the years when we had far, far better teams than Emery did! Emery with a poverty squad a squad worse than the one which got truly f***ked 8-2 got a draw! Its not the best result but it's not the end of the world.

In what world is

Leno

SUBS: Martinez (GK), Holding, Maitland-Niles, Ceballos (55’), Willock (80’), Nelson (74’), Martinelli

worse than

Szczesny

SUBS: Fabianksi (GK), Miquel, Lansbury (83’), Oxlade-Chamberlain (62’), Ozyakup, Sunu, Chamakh (83’)

?

Eat a snickers.

Nevermind him. He will flip and flop and come to Emery's defence whichever way he can.

You know what I find funny? The Emery defenders were last season thrashing Wenger era players as one of the main excuses for Emery's failures. This year, they are defending Emery because he's waiting on 4 key injured players to return - 3 of whom are Wenger era players including Holding, Lacazette and Bellerin. It's never-ending flip flopping with this lot to defend Emery at all costs.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:Amazes me that peeps seem to think players including Ozil perform constantly at the level they remember them at their best, Ozil has been in decline since coming to Arsenal he no longer has the effectiveness he had at Germany or early Arsenal, I am not going to suggest why that is but it has to be clear to everyone, we can say if Ozil played he would have done this, he has the keys to open defences? This is the same man that when playing a championship side left the park at 70mins leading 1-0, we then scored four goals in 20mins without his key to the door.his only PL start this season amounted to nothing. Let's not dwell in the past for me I would play any of the youngsters ahead of ozil they are the here the now and the future .......Ozil has a part to play but it's no longer the lead role he barely rates in the cast

I agree on Ozil being way passed his best and even said before the game that I doubt he'd have been effective if not motivated. He has a history of not showing up for these sort of games.

But.....I couldn't imagine Torriera being played as the most advanced midfielder. Aubameyang was the crossing the ball in with Torreira being the only man in the box on some occasions.

Torreira completed 8 passes yesterday. We lost an extra body to help us retain possession, we lost that extra cover for defence and the game plan to press Man Utd high up the pitch and distlrupt their play barely worked.

With all that said, if we're going to keep Ozil on the bench, at least justify it with a better tactical plan. He tried the same thing with Ramsey last season early on and it didn't work. Why is he trying it again with a lesser player?

Like I said in my post and goes with Torrera being played out of possition at number 10 also which puts him in the same category as ozil,
I would rather play the youngsters Saka wilock neilson martinez and fail but gain experience, than play someone on decline that probably cant give you what you need and cant last the minutes.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 am

gamechannel wrote:
VCC wrote:Amazes me that peeps seem to think players including Ozil perform constantly at the level they remember them at their best, Ozil has been in decline since coming to Arsenal he no longer has the effectiveness he had at Germany or early Arsenal, I am not going to suggest why that is but it has to be clear to everyone, we can say if Ozil played he would have done this, he has the keys to open defences? This is the same man that when playing a championship side left the park at 70mins leading 1-0, we then scored four goals in 20mins without his key to the door.his only PL start this season amounted to nothing. Let's not dwell in the past for me I would play any of the youngsters ahead of ozil they are the here the now and the future .......Ozil has a part to play but it's no longer the lead role he barely rates in the cast

That's fine. I can somewhat agree with your argument that Ozil has declined. So riddle me this, is Torriera a better bet than Ozilin No. 10 role even factoring in Ozil's decline? If you say yes, then you obviously has an anti-Ozil agenda. The manager is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when he can still pick players at his disposal who are better suited for the role but he refused to do so cuz he's a stubborn bitch.

Like I said would rather give youngsters the opportunity, I agree torrera is not a number 10
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 am

LMAO wrote:

In what world is

Leno

worse than

Szczesny

?

Eat a snickers.

A childish response which has dug you a hole.

That defence in 2011 was worse than what Emery put out on Monday however don't get it twisted the rest of the team is clearly inferior! Do you really think Auba is RVP level from that season! I agree Auba is Wolrd Class, well because have you seen football lately? Auba is a very, poor mans Thierry Henry, then again thats enough to be an elite striker in this dog era. Even a depressed Arshavin is much more than what we have on the wings right now! Not even that, remember this was a few days before the window shut and we brought 5 players in one day!

Football has truly fallen off the cliff.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 am

elkanofan wrote:
LMAO wrote:

In what world is

Leno

worse than

Szczesny

?

Eat a snickers.

A childish response which has dug you a hole.

That defence in 2011 was worse than what Emery put out on Monday however don't get it twisted the rest of the team is clearly inferior! Do you really think Auba is RVP level from that season! I agree Auba is Wolrd Class, well because have you seen football lately? Auba is a very, poor mans Thierry Henry, then again thats enough to be an elite striker in this dog era. Even a depressed Arshavin is much more than what we have on the wings right now! Not even that, remember this was a few days before the window shut and we brought 5 players in one day!

Football has truly fallen off the cliff.

The team Wenger sent out that day was absolute dog shit and would be a relegation candidate in today's Premier League. The only thing that 2011 team vs United had over the 2019 one vs United was in attack.

Leno > Szczesny
Chambers > Jenkinson
Sokratis > Djourou
Luiz > Koscielny
Kolasinac > Traore
Torreira > Ramsey
Xhaka > Coquelin
Guendouzi < Rosicky
Pepe < Walcott
Aubameyang == Van Persie (RvP was technically superior, but Auba's average goals per game is greater)
Saka < Arshavin

Martinez == Fabianski
Holding > Miquel
Maitland-Niles ? Lansbury (haven't seen AMN in midfield and Lansbury wasn't a RB)
Willock == Oxlade-Chamberlain
Ceballos > Ozyakup
Nelson > Sunu
Martinelli < Chamakh
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:23 pm

elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
And by doing so we also gave ourselves not much chance to score. Both teams were poor in the first half. And Emery is just the epitome of negative football. He sells it like his style is attacking, but it's not at all. 3 flipping CM's/CDM's and he thinks that somehow we're going to be creative enough away at Utd. :dizzy:

What Emery did yesterday is the sign of a top manager using the best of his resources! I have no issues with his lineup yesterday at all, he did the right thing, didn't get the win but we didn't lose, United continue in disarray and we move on to Sunday. If you want to play possesion football you have to build everything around an attacking mid, we don't have one who can play for 90 minutes so everything needs to go down the wings and it would of worked if Pepe was a competent player.

Yea he did everything right if you're happy with mediocrity.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:07 pm

StLGooner wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
And by doing so we also gave ourselves not much chance to score. Both teams were poor in the first half. And Emery is just the epitome of negative football. He sells it like his style is attacking, but it's not at all. 3 flipping CM's/CDM's and he thinks that somehow we're going to be creative enough away at Utd. :dizzy:

What Emery did yesterday is the sign of a top manager using the best of his resources! I have no issues with his lineup yesterday at all, he did the right thing, didn't get the win but we didn't lose, United continue in disarray and we move on to Sunday. If you want to play possesion football you have to build everything around an attacking mid, we don't have one who can play for 90 minutes so everything needs to go down the wings and it would of worked if Pepe was a competent player.

Mate clearly you just don’t understand football, only intellects can understand how good Unai Emery is when he’s playing against a mid table side with a Norwegian PE teacher in charge - what a result

Back to Ozil i brought it up last year but I think there’s something going on behind the scenes with his mental health, the attack a few months back has only exacerbated it

I think he’ll only be truly happy once he retires
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Sorry sims i was first with calling there are probably some mental health issues.

I dont think we will get to know tho

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Sims wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Mate clearly you just don’t understand football, only intellects can understand how good Unai Emery is when he’s playing against a mid table side with a Norwegian PE teacher in charge - what a result

Back to Ozil i brought it up last year but I think there’s something going on behind the scenes with his mental health, the attack a few months back has only exacerbated it

I think he’ll only be truly happy once he retires

I'll never learn Sims. Everything was Pepe's fault though. we couldn't play down the wings because of Pepe, even though Emery had him cutting inside a lot and almost playing as a 2nd striker at times, but that was all Pepe, I'm sure he was just out there doing anything he wanted and disobeying the coach. Cause we all know how much Emery plays players that disobey. :dizzy:

Very possible about his mental health. It could have very well started during the world cup, he was having some weird issues with all of that as well. However, I just have this feeling that the players just don't really like/agree with Emery and how he wants to play.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Dejan wrote:Sorry sims i was first with calling there are probably some mental health issues.

I dont think we will get to know tho

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Yeah forgive me I don’t remember anyone saying it

Something has been up for a while though, maybe we’ll have to wait 10/15 years to find out
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby swipe right » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Reunite Sanchez and Ozil at Inter.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I agree on Ozil being way passed his best and even said before the game that I doubt he'd have been effective if not motivated. He has a history of not showing up for these sort of games.

But.....I couldn't imagine Torriera being played as the most advanced midfielder. Aubameyang was the crossing the ball in with Torreira being the only man in the box on some occasions.

Torreira completed 8 passes yesterday. We lost an extra body to help us retain possession, we lost that extra cover for defence and the game plan to press Man Utd high up the pitch and distlrupt their play barely worked.

With all that said, if we're going to keep Ozil on the bench, at least justify it with a better tactical plan. He tried the same thing with Ramsey last season early on and it didn't work. Why is he trying it again with a lesser player?

I agree
But like I said in my post I would rather invest in the youngsters, we knew it is not the best man utd side what better time to play a youngster, I would rather fail and know we have gained some experience, than play someone who MAY turn up but recent history tells us he wont

I agree with your sentiment but the youngsters are not ready - only Saka and Willock seem able to play a role at the level it needs to be but they need to be treated gently.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 pm

StLGooner wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

We are mediocrity. This is not because of Emery this is because the board have not given a shit for so long so the squad is shit now. We haven't spent well and we have sold so f***ing poorly.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm

elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

We are mediocrity. This is not because of Emery this is because the board have not given a shit for so long so the squad is shit now. We haven't spent well and we have sold so f***ing poorly.

Will you at least admit that there is a possibility it's both?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club