The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Chili cheese Fritos beats them all, game, set, match, thread closed!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerz wrote:@Elitekiller.
This is what i wrote on here on The 4th of July 2018.
Very predictable outcome as always. Lol
Goonerz wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:Goat season incoming

Honestly, he may take a few games to warm up with the new team and shake off the WC but I also think under Emery and with a settled Mkitarayan and Auba that we will be seeing one of his best seasons for us.

Also players like Torreia and co will mean Ozil's back is covered so he can be free to play his game more.

Glad he got his no10.

Let’s put a wager on it. It usually always starts off cutie cutie like that nearly each season. “This is the season Ozil will show the haters his might and push on to legendary status”. Then it’s excuses galore there after. Lol
I bet you sometime next season when the same old fair weather Ozil turns up, the same usual suspects will be on here blaming everything and everybody inluding the kitchen sink. Pulling up whatever obscure never heard of Stats from the edges of the Universe, recycling the same old tired excuses like; “But but, this stat and that stat, but but he is recovering from the world cup. But but what did you expect a genius world class player like Ozil to do when surrounded by over the hill free agent players like Litchtsteiner. Cheap bargain average players like Sokratis. Cheap bargain basement unknown nobodies like Torreira. Road runners like Aubameyang. A second rate manager like Unai. An incompetent board. Donkeys like Ramsey, Xhaka. But but Ozil needs another full season or so to get used to wearing and playing in the No10 shirt, & He needs another season or so to get used to the new manager and players. We need new better players and manager. But but you critics know nothing about football. This formation that formation. You British football fans have never come across skillful and talented players like Ozil, you are used to the likes of Henderson, Welbeck, and Stoke FC style of football. The racist German media drained his confidence. blah blah”.
Have I left out any usual excuses? I bet you you will be hearing / reading comments like that sometimes next season. Let the games begin.
Lol :biggrin: :)

:lol:

Many of the “excuses” used for Ozil are legit. Why are stats, for example, facts to prove that Ronaldo is World Class but it’s an “excuse” for Ozil? If you take away the most important stats from Ronaldo, then how many people would consider him World Class then? Stats suggest that Ozil’s World Class and if Ozil’s World Class figures can’t translate to success for a team then is the player really at fault or is it something else?

I was never a fan of Ozil’s lackadaisical playing style but even Stevie Wonder can see Ozil’s value to a team and that we have failed to bring out that value for years.

Still making comparisons between the likes of Ronaldo, messi, Bergkamp etc with one dimensional fair weather Ozil? I thought this was settled long time ago.

Imagine thinking that Ronaldo’s might is dependent on obscure stats.
Ronaldo is a mighty presence on the field, he instills fear in opponents. He is the go to man to win you games. He makes everyone around him look better than they are. He dominates games. He is a leader. Bold personality. Takes games by the neck. etc..

But when it comes to Ozil you guys have assured us that he is not that type.

“Ozil needs world class players to perform”

“Ozil needs this and that formation to look good”

“Ozil can only play in one position”

“Ozil is not the type to dominate games”

“Ozil is not the type to take games by the scruff of the neck”

“Ozil is not the type to win you games”

“Ozil is not the score you goals”

“Ozil needs all the pieces in place and he will be your cherry on top”.

“Ozil is not the type to make those around him better, he needs those around him to make him look better”.

“Ozil is the type that will be anonymous for for 89 minutes but in the 90th minute he comed up with an assist to change the game”.
Etc..

But with all these fundamental flaws this what makes him a world class player in the eyes of his loyal fanbase.

It’s draining and tiresome to keep repeating to address the same excuse season after season. That is why I hardly ever bother anymore.

Good Post. I'd expect that sort of list for players like Xhaka, Arteta, Coquelin... a Giroud, a Walcott.

Heck the whole chance creation stat justification is the sort of stat I saw floating around for fans of Stewart Downing. He had impressive chance creation stats each year.

I keep seeing stats on here, more specifically assist stats, that consistently has Ozil as the same as or better than players like Hazard, De Bruyne, David Silva, and Fabregas. If you can show me proof that Downing has a right to be mentioned alongside these players then I’ll be the first to admit that he has a case for himself.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 pm

@CrimsonGunner11

I didn't say assists. I said Chance Creation stats and below is an example of why I think it's useless. I put more stock in assists.

In 2014/15 there was a point early on in the season where he had created more chances than Hazard, Silva, Sterling and Di Maria.

http://www.squawka.com/en/news/does-big ... JrosMuL.97

Google Downings chance creation stats during Liverpool and interview where he argued he was creating the chances but players weren't putting them away and I'm sure Kenny Dalglish made a point about his chance creation stats at Villa as justification for his hefty price tag when moving to Liverpool.

As said, I put more stock in assists but we can look into that. Ozil doesn't top the charts that often when looking at his Premier League stats. In fact, he has topped the charts once, made the top 5 in his debut season but outside of those two seasons, he's finished outside of the top 5 for most seasons. Check for yourself.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... ist?se=210

He's also far behind in overall rankings. It's not a bad record but it's overstated and I thought he'd be a lot higher up the list considering it's his main weapon and he doesn't score goals. Oh, and Stewart Downing is above him in the overall assist rankings. :)

Cesc 2nd with 111 assists.
Bergkamp 5th with 94.
Silva 9th with 76
Henry 11th 74
Stewart Downing 19th with 59
Christian Eriksen 23rd with 57
Van Persie 31st with 53
Ozil 34th with 51

Still a long way to go to catch up with the legends of Arsenal and I'm also surprised that Eriksen is ahead of him considering they started at the same time. It's not a bad record but I don't believe all this talk about him being the best number 10 in the world. You may not have argued that hear today but I've heard posters say it and I think it's an exaggeration. I don't see it in the performances nor the stats when broken down. Sorry.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Sims » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 pm

people talking about the actual topic rather than crisps

losers compeltely shown up imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:@CrimsonGunner11

I didn't say assists. I said Chance Creation stats and below is an example of why I think it's useless. I put more stock in assists.

In 2014/15 there was a point early on in the season where he had created more chances than Hazard, Silva, Sterling and Di Maria.

Google Downings chance creation stats during Liverpool and interview where he argued he was creating the chances but players weren't putting them away and I'm sure Kenny Dalglish made a point about his chance creation stats at Villa as justification for his hefty price tag when moving to Liverpool.

As said, I put more stock in assists but we can look into that. Ozil doesn't top the charts that often when looking at his Premier League stats. In fact, he has topped the charts once, made the top 5 in his debut season but outside of those two seasons, he's finished outside of the top 5 for most seasons. Check for yourself.

He's also far behind in overall rankings. It's not a bad record but it's overstated and I thought he'd be a lot higher up the list considering it's his main weapon and he doesn't score goals. Oh, and Stewart Downing is above him in the overall assist rankings. :)

Bergkamp 5th with 94.
Silva 9th with 76
Henry 11th 74
Van Persie 31st with 53
Ozil 34th with 51

Still a long way to go to catch up with the legends of Arsenal and I'm also surprised that Eriksen is ahead of him considering they started at the same time. It's not a bad record but I don't believe all this talk about him being the best number 10 in the world. You may not have argued that hear today but I've heard posters say it and I think it's an exaggeration. I don't see it in the performances nor the stats when broken down. Sorry.

I don’t have much time right now so I’ll only comment on the last link you posted. Downing is 12th in terms of minutes played in the PL while Ozil is in 203rd. The fact that Ozil is only 8 assists behind Downing despite playing significantly less minutes speaks volumes and all but puts this debate to bed. I actually have a lot more to say wrt your post but I’m busy right now. I’ll get back to your other points when I’m free later
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Bergkamp 5th with 94.
Silva 9th with 76
Henry 11th 74
Van Persie 31st with 53
Ozil 34th with 51

I don’t have much time right now so I’ll only comment on the last link you posted. Downing is 12th in terms of minutes played in the PL while Ozil is in 203rd. The fact that Ozil is only 8 assists behind Downing despite playing significantly less minutes speaks volumes and all but puts this debate to bed. I actually have a lot more to say wrt your post but I’m busy right now. I’ll get back to your other points when I’m free later

Please don't. I've made my point and whatever you have you have to say won't change my mind. Let Ozil's performances do the talking.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:23 am

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Bergkamp 5th with 94.
Silva 9th with 76
Henry 11th 74
Van Persie 31st with 53
Ozil 34th with 51

Please don't. I've made my point and whatever you have you have to say won't change my mind. Let Ozil's performances do the talking.

Even though I decided to do a little research of my own, I’ll respect your wishes but what I found was, well let’s just say it really is amazing how he can divide opinions so much. We have been very fortunate to have had Ozil for all this time. I won’t say much more than that for now
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 am

Sims wrote:people talking about the actual topic rather than crisps

losers compeltely shown up imo

Took the words right out of my mouth! :biggrin:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

Power n Glory wrote:Please don't. I've made my point and whatever you have you have to say won't change my mind. Let Ozil's performances do the talking.

Lol, running from it because Crimson already took a big chunk out of your wotless argument and was about to tombstone it :rofll: :lol:

I don't blame you.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:28 am

Wait, no mention of the original flavour Monster Munch?? And nothing said about sour cream and onion Pringles???
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Please don't. I've made my point and whatever you have you have to say won't change my mind. Let Ozil's performances do the talking.

Lol, running from it because Crimson already took a big chunk out of your wotless argument and was about to tombstone it :rofll: :lol:

I don't blame you.

You was in here talking about crisps! The nerve of you. :)

Crimson can share his data if he actually had something but most gave up the debate. Don't hang from another man's nuts. Have some self respect.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 am

Hatred is not only blind, but delusional too—and asks others to waste their precious time feeding their tragic puddle.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 am

Angelito wrote:Hatred is not only blind, but delusional too—and asks others to waste their precious time feeding their tragic puddle.

True but don't be a hypocrite. This isn't hatred. Nobody has anything personal against Ozil. You're doing the same as what those do when they have a problem with your criticism of Unai Emery.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:Hatred is not only blind, but delusional too—and asks others to waste their precious time feeding their tragic puddle.

True but don't be a hypocrite. This isn't hatred. Nobody has anything personal against Ozil. You're doing the same as what those do when they have a problem with your criticism of Unai Emery.

Context isn't your friend.

It's called Bad Reasons Fallacy, I believe.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 am

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Context isn't your friend.

It's called Bad Reasons Fallacy, I believe.

What's out of context and it's definitely not a bad reasons fallacy.

The hypocrisy.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club