The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby BS221B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:Not so, we bought world class players before Wenger!! And Arsenal wouldn't do a Leeds because we have never spent more than we earn through our football activities.

You know NOTHING about Arsenal!

im sure you could have enjoyed 38k highbury with our best players being Batshuyai if Wenger left in 2004. There wouldnt be Emirates in first place, which lead us to the purchase these players. If Arsenal tried to build the stadium without Wenger, it would have led to Leeds by 100%.

You are not the person to judge my Arsenal knowledge, the biggest fanboy on GW :rofll:
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:29 pm

BS221B wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not so, we bought world class players before Wenger!! And Arsenal wouldn't do a Leeds because we have never spent more than we earn through our football activities.

im sure you could have enjoyed 38k highbury with our best players being Batshuyai if Wenger left in 2004. There wouldnt be Emirates in first place, which lead us to the purchase these players. If Arsenal tried to build the stadium without Wenger, it would have led to Leeds by 100%.

You are not the person to judge my Arsenal knowledge, the biggest fanboy on GW :rofll:

But you didn't even give any knowledge, you just gave an ignorant opinion based off of absolutely nothing.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:20 pm

BS221B wrote:

Making you look like the fool that you are takes very little effort.

As for calling me a fanboy, fanboy of what ? What is a fanboy, you d***head ? Spurs have a 36k stadium and have more world class players than us. Your argument napalmed in one fail swoop. You need far more brainpower than what you have to even get me to notice you, let alone have a battle of wits with you.

When the resident fuckwits are trying it you know something aint right !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:44 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:Let me explain how idiotic Sallenhi and Emery's decision to not play Ozil to force him to leave is....

If Ozil was still playing for the German national team, he would think twice about it, and keeping his spot on the national team. But he is not! He can easily sit back and say that's fine, dont pick me, I will gladly keep collecting the checks, while you come out looking like idiots. And that's exactly what him and his agent will do. If it comes down to battle of attrition, Ozil has nothing to lose. He is getting paid one way or another.

Sallenhi and Emery are also hurting themselves in winning/financial terms. You dont need to play Ozil all the games but there a number of games where he can be instrumental in wins because of his creativity. We are severely lacking in creativity. It is better to play Ozil to secure some of those wins and possibly secure a 4th place finish, than not play him at all, miss out completely on top 4, AND lose out on CL money! You have to give yourself a chance at least. But their current course might have them paying Ozil to sit on the bench and losing out the CL money which they can spend.

The management is seriously shooting themselves in the foot with this bizarre decision. Mlisntat leaving makes it even worse.

I agree with most of that. However I do think Ozil has something to lose. He's losing sharpness, he's losing form, and losing game fitness, not to mention time in general as his career is on the down slope. Plus, if he is indeed going to be sold, he would want to play as much as possible so that any potential buyers can see that he still can play good enough. I think it's hurting him just as much tbh. We only assume that athletes want to sit on the bench and just collect checks. I'm sure there are some out there like that, but if his agent is any good, he would want his client to be playing as much as possible.

It seems as though a Ozil has lost his passion for football. If he's still here this time next year and nothing much has changed you have to question his professional pride. Where is that drive to want to play and be considered as one of the best? To win things? He's only just turned 30 and should realise he only has a few years left at the top level.

An unbelievable situation. Managed so badly on both sides and bloody embarrassing.

You're making it sound like he's the one that has asked to be benched.

He has choices. It's either money or football. If you're desperate to play football you look to leave the club and make compromises where you can on the wages/transfer requests... or you find that next gear and prove everyone wrong with every minute you play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby BS221B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
BS221B wrote:

Making you look like the fool that you are takes very little effort.

As for calling me a fanboy, fanboy of what ? What is a fanboy, you d***head ? Spurs have a 36k stadium and have more world class players than us. Your argument napalmed in one fail swoop. You need far more brainpower than what you have to even get me to notice you, let alone have a battle of wits with you.

When the resident fuckwits are trying it you know something aint right !

hothead got destroyed so he is flaming to make himself right loool. Are you really following the football?

Spurs got their money from Bale's sale, and built their squad with it. On top of that, they got their two key players from their academy aka Kane and Alli. Without that money, they still could have been the prince of sixth place. We could have been no different than them in that case. If you were only smart enough to think...

Anyway, then again someone like you has no right to my wits.
Last edited by BS221B on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:Let me explain how idiotic Sallenhi and Emery's decision to not play Ozil to force him to leave is....

If Ozil was still playing for the German national team, he would think twice about it, and keeping his spot on the national team. But he is not! He can easily sit back and say that's fine, dont pick me, I will gladly keep collecting the checks, while you come out looking like idiots. And that's exactly what him and his agent will do. If it comes down to battle of attrition, Ozil has nothing to lose. He is getting paid one way or another.

Sallenhi and Emery are also hurting themselves in winning/financial terms. You dont need to play Ozil all the games but there a number of games where he can be instrumental in wins because of his creativity. We are severely lacking in creativity. It is better to play Ozil to secure some of those wins and possibly secure a 4th place finish, than not play him at all, miss out completely on top 4, AND lose out on CL money! You have to give yourself a chance at least. But their current course might have them paying Ozil to sit on the bench and losing out the CL money which they can spend.

The management is seriously shooting themselves in the foot with this bizarre decision. Mlisntat leaving makes it even worse.

I agree with most of that. However I do think Ozil has something to lose. He's losing sharpness, he's losing form, and losing game fitness, not to mention time in general as his career is on the down slope. Plus, if he is indeed going to be sold, he would want to play as much as possible so that any potential buyers can see that he still can play good enough. I think it's hurting him just as much tbh. We only assume that athletes want to sit on the bench and just collect checks. I'm sure there are some out there like that, but if his agent is any good, he would want his client to be playing as much as possible.

It seems as though a Ozil has lost his passion for football. If he's still here this time next year and nothing much has changed you have to question his professional pride. Where is that drive to want to play and be considered as one of the best? To win things? He's only just turned 30 and should realise he only has a few years left at the top level.

An unbelievable situation. Managed so badly on both sides and bloody embarrassing.

He has choices. It's either money or football. If you're desperate to play football you look to leave the club and make compromises where you can on the wages/transfer requests... or you find that next gear and prove everyone wrong with every minute you play.

Think that help proves my point then. By sitting on the bench it's hurting him, not helping him.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:With the way we're going, it pains me to say that we will undo all of Wenger's work and regress in years to come.

It's not down to Emery alone, of course. We've opened Pandora's box and we don't have any wizard to undo the jinx.

I'd love for that to happen. The monkey's paw curls.

TIL Wenger owns Arsenal / Oil money dominance is down to Wenger's incompetence.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:05 pm

thats multiple name calling from the hothead?

mods? time to guide someone out
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:28 pm

BS221B wrote:If Arsene left for Real Madrid in 2004, today Arsenal could have been another Leeds United. You are able to watch world class players like Ozil, Aubameyang and Ramsey on Arsenal thanks to Wenger, deal with it.

And yet our one true title challenge in 07/08 happened with Fabregas, Eduardo and a bunch of kids and unknowns.

Ramsey came into his own at Arsenal but he isn't world class, not by a long shot. He has been very good for Arsenal and Wales however.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:45 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Think that help proves my point then. By sitting on the bench it's hurting him, not helping him.

It doesn't because as said, he can hand in a transfer request if the club are trying to force him out. Also, there were reports of PSG wanting him on loan which Ozil turned down. He's not desperate to play football or prove a point.

You would think that after what happened with Germany that he'd be pulling out performances every week but he doesn't. That Leicester City performance is proof that he has another level his game. I was watching that game and saw instantly how determined he was to stamp his authority on that game and make a difference. Despite not playing many games after that, he hasn't come close to playing that way. There is a different energy to Ozil when he's on the attack and looking to make a difference. I don't just measure it in stats I can see it on the pitch when he's switched on. The runs he starts to make, the sharpness and how he demands the ball.

Ozil just hasn't helped himself in the situation and now he's being frozen out. If football means that much to you, you find another way to play even if it means a taking a pay cut or stepping down a level.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

It doesn't because as said, he can hand in a transfer request if the club are trying to force him out. Also, there were reports of PSG wanting him on loan which Ozil turned down. He's not desperate to play football or prove a point.

You would think that after what happened with Germany that he'd be pulling out performances every week but he doesn't. That Leicester City performance is proof that he has another level his game. I was watching that game and saw instantly how determined he was to stamp his authority on that game and make a difference. Despite not playing many games after that, he hasn't come close to playing that way. There is a different energy to Ozil when he's on the attack and looking to make a difference. I don't just measure it in stats I can see it on the pitch when he's switched on. The runs he starts to make, the sharpness and how he demands the ball.

Ozil just hasn't helped himself in the situation and now he's being frozen out. If football means that much to you, you find another way to play even if it means a taking a pay cut or stepping down a level.

I think we're talking about two different things.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't think we are. It's just hard for anyone to defend the position because we've seen what other talented players have done when it looks like they're fine at a top club is coming to end or fallen out with a manager.

If Ozil doesn't leave by the summer and things are still the same you know exactly what takes priority for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I don't think we are. It's just hard for anyone to defend the position because we've seen what other talented players have done when it looks like they're fine at a top club is coming to end or fallen out with a manager.

If Ozil doesn't leave by the summer and things are still the same you know exactly what takes priority for him.

No we are. All I was saying is that by not playing it definitely isn't helping his career. You're talking about him not really wanting to play it seems.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I don't think we are. It's just hard for anyone to defend the position because we've seen what other talented players have done when it looks like they're fine at a top club is coming to end or fallen out with a manager.

No we are. All I was saying is that by not playing it definitely isn't helping his career. You're talking about him not really wanting to play it seems.

I believe we're on the same page. I'm looking through your debate with Mike Dean and Hothead and you're arguing that all players should want to play, not sit on the bench and just want to collect a cheque countering Mike Dean and Hothead's points.

My point is, yes, the club are playing it wrong by trying to force him out by not playing him but then again, I have to think of the character of a player that's willing to sit on the bench knowing that he doesn't have much playing time in his career. You say Ozil can't be happy about being on the bench. I'm not so sure and only time will whether he's content to collect his money and not play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

I believe we're on the same page. I'm looking through your debate with Mike Dean and Hothead and you're arguing that all players should want to play, not sit on the bench and just want to collect a cheque countering Mike Dean and Hothead's points.

My point is, yes, the club are playing it wrong by trying to force him out by not playing him but then again, I have to think of the character of a player that's willing to sit on the bench knowing that he doesn't have much playing time in his career. You say Ozil can't be happy about being on the bench. I'm not so sure and only time will whether he's content to collect his money and not play.

But the whole point was that it can't be helping his career at all. Mike Dean said he has nothing to lose, and I said he does actually. Totally different argument than yours.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club