The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Dejan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Why did you exclude this season?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby darkshadow1111 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Looking from the outside, I just feel that Ozil is not the player needed to take Arsenal forward and for the wages he's currently on I would be absolutely livid if he played for my team imo. Just ask yourself this - which team in the top 6 would take Ozil off your hands if they had the chance? I don't think any would and rightly so. For all the talk about "key passes" he creates when I watch him play in important games (about the only time I really watch Arsenal) I almost always end up thinking "what does this guy really actually do?" and you could put that down to my footballing ignorance as much as you like and pop up those "key passes" stats as much as you like but it's just not me who has noticed this - even some arsenal legends have echoed the same sentiments. The fact that some people actually use his stats to argue that he may be a better or in the same league as the likes of Eriksen, de bruyn and Hazard is completely laughable - their "key passes" may not miles behind Ozil but you can clearly see their influence in most games you watch them.

Also I would just like to know if the video above was officially counted as 34 chances created because that would just make the whole chances created stat useless imo. From that video he created 2 very good chances.

Can I also ask - do headers from deadball situations count as chances created,no matter is they are free headers or hard fought and near impossible to score headers? Because I think that could heavily skew his chances created stats as one think you have to hand Ozil he really is good on deadball situations and his corners and free kicks tend to be accurate
“But with my ego, I could stand there in a Speedo and be looked at like a f***ing hero.”
darkshadow1111
Liam Brady

Postby Dejan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

darkshadow1111 wrote:Looking from the outside, I just feel that Ozil is not the player needed to take Arsenal forward and for the wages he's currently on I would be absolutely livid if he played for my team imo. Just ask yourself this - which team in the top 6 would take Ozil off your hands if they had the chance? I don't think any would and rightly so. For all the talk about "key passes" he creates when I watch him play in important games (about the only time I really watch Arsenal) I almost always end up thinking "what does this guy really actually do?" and you could put that down to my footballing ignorance as much as you like and pop up those "key passes" stats as much as you like but it's just not me who has noticed this - even some arsenal legends have echoed the same sentiments. The fact that some people actually use his stats to argue that he may be a better or in the same league as the likes of Eriksen, de bruyn and Hazard is completely laughable - their "key passes" may not miles behind Ozil but you can clearly see their influence in most games you watch them.

Also I would just like to know if the video above was officially counted as 34 chances created because that would just make the whole chances created stat useless imo. From that video he created 2 very good chances.

Can I also ask - do headers from deadball situations count as chances created,no matter is they are free headers or hard fought and near impossible to score headers? Because I think that could heavily skew his chances created stats as one think you have to hand Ozil he really is good on deadball situations and his corners and free kicks tend to be accurate
Decent post.

Some people about to get triggered now

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:24 pm

theHotHead wrote:That video makes no sense at all, I think it must be clickbait.

I just searched the internet and could find no article stating Ozil created a record number of chances in any Europa League game. I did find an article that stated Ozil had created the 2nd most chances in the competition in that year up to and including that CSKA game, totalling 16. some dude called Sergio Canales was leading the chart with a whopping 28, but Ozil didn't play in any of the group games.

So the video claiming a record 34 chances in one game is total rubbish, I counted about 5 chances created max. I think he created 3 good chances though. You mention sitters, but thats a silly metric to base your argument on, so ignore all chances created unless they are sitters ??? Get real.

That's the difference between the chance creation stat and the 'big chance creation' stat. You say it’s a silly metric but you’ve been using this chance creation stat to falsely claim that Ozil is creating chances but we have poor finishers. The video adds context to the stat and shows the quality of the chances created. Look for another video along with the stats if you need to.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby darkshadow1111 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 pm

Dejan wrote:
darkshadow1111 wrote:Looking from the outside, I just feel that Ozil is not the player needed to take Arsenal forward and for the wages he's currently on I would be absolutely livid if he played for my team imo. Just ask yourself this - which team in the top 6 would take Ozil off your hands if they had the chance? I don't think any would and rightly so. For all the talk about "key passes" he creates when I watch him play in important games (about the only time I really watch Arsenal) I almost always end up thinking "what does this guy really actually do?" and you could put that down to my footballing ignorance as much as you like and pop up those "key passes" stats as much as you like but it's just not me who has noticed this - even some arsenal legends have echoed the same sentiments. The fact that some people actually use his stats to argue that he may be a better or in the same league as the likes of Eriksen, de bruyn and Hazard is completely laughable - their "key passes" may not miles behind Ozil but you can clearly see their influence in most games you watch them.

Decent post.

Some people about to get triggered now

I hope not. If they disagree, I would rather they calmly tell me their reasoning.
“But with my ego, I could stand there in a Speedo and be looked at like a f***ing hero.”
darkshadow1111
Liam Brady

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Good Post and yes, deadball situations count.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm

A comparison with these AMs in top 6 teams:

2017-18
KDB - 13.10
D Silva - 8.83
Salah - 8.34
Firmino - 7.68
Mane - 5.25
Hazard - 7.30
Fabregas - 6.85
Willian - 6.17
Eriksen - 11.89
Alli - 8.84
Son - 6.59

2016-17
KDB - 15.89
D Silva - 8.12
Firmino - 7.85
Coutinho - 6.26
Mane - 4.45
Fabregas - 7.85
Hazard - 6.44
Willian - 3.06
Eriksen - 11.74
Son - 4.70
Alli - 4.57

2015-16
KDB - 8.33
D Silva - 4.73
Lallana - 5.65
Firmino - 5.40
Coutinho - 5.29
Fabregas - 8.42
Willian - 7.69
Hazard - 4.18
Eriksen - 9.81
Lamela - 8.93
Alli - 6.80

2014-15
D Silva - 10.39
Henderson - 6.79
Sterling - 6.04
Coutinho - 5.53
Hazard - 11.24
Fabregas - 10.15
Willian - 5.78
Lamela - 6.10
Eriksen - 6.09
Chadli - 3.94
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Dejan wrote:Why did you exclude this season?

Because Power n Glory went up to 2017-18 with his stats.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:A comparison with these AMs in top 6 teams:

2017-18
KDB - 13.10
D Silva - 8.83
Salah - 8.34
Firmino - 7.68
Mane - 5.25
Hazard - 7.30
Fabregas - 6.85
Willian - 6.17
Eriksen - 11.89
Alli - 8.84
Son - 6.59

2016-17
KDB - 15.89
D Silva - 8.12
Firmino - 7.85
Coutinho - 6.26
Mane - 4.45
Fabregas - 7.85
Hazard - 6.44
Willian - 3.06
Eriksen - 11.74
Son - 4.70
Alli - 4.57

2015-16
KDB - 8.33
D Silva - 4.73
Lallana - 5.65
Firmino - 5.40
Coutinho - 5.29
Fabregas - 8.42
Willian - 7.69
Hazard - 4.18
Eriksen - 9.81
Lamela - 8.93
Alli - 6.80

2014-15
D Silva - 10.39
Henderson - 6.79
Sterling - 6.04
Coutinho - 5.53
Hazard - 11.24
Fabregas - 10.15
Willian - 5.78
Lamela - 6.10
Eriksen - 6.09
Chadli - 3.94
I had a look at that website. Its better to take the xA90 because it takes into account how much they played

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Mate the bottom line is this - you are spouting the same rubbish as some of the Arsenal fans on here, the fact that a few people have this opinion is neither here or there and hardly makes it fact or relevant. What IS relevant is that Ozil IS an Arsenal player and one of the best CAMs in world football. The very same stats you claim are skewed toward Ozil are similarly skewed towards every other player on the planet. All others, like KDB, like Eriksen have excellent deadball delivery too.

Many Arsenal legends chat shit, Keown the chief culprit. Ask Arsenal fans here how many Arsenal legends opinion's mean anything to them, they get slated all the time, rightly or wrongly.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:05 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:Why did you exclude this season?

Because Power n Glory went up to 2017-18 with his stats.

I didn't include this season because you said he has hardly played this season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby darkshadow1111 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Mate the bottom line is this - you are spouting the same rubbish as some of the Arsenal fans on here, the fact that a few people have this opinion is neither here or there and hardly makes it fact or relevant. What IS relevant is that Ozil IS an Arsenal player and one of the best CAMs in world football. The very same stats you claim are skewed toward Ozil are similarly skewed towards every other player on the planet. All others, like KDB, like Eriksen have excellent deadball delivery too.

Many Arsenal legends chat shit, Keown the chief culprit. Ask Arsenal fans here how many Arsenal legends opinion's mean anything to them, they get slated all the time, rightly or wrongly.

You can't actually be serious.
darkshadow1111
Liam Brady

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Yeah xA90 is better as it averages per 90mins played
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Arsenal manager Unai Emery says Mezut Ozil's future at Arsenal is in his own hands.

"The key is in his hands and he is working very well this week, " Emery said.

"He needs to be consistent in training and for matches, without injury or being sick. Without that we can see the best Mesut with us."
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Yet at the same time you dismiss the difference between the key pass stats to the big chance creation stats because Ozil doesn't come out on top.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club