The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am

Dejan wrote:Hes off in the summer m8

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

I wish he was buddy, but he's contracted unti 2021 and on his salary he's got no reason to move on.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 am

theHotHead wrote:EK you are only part right!!

I have stated over and over that Ozil is not the player to drag a team forward, he is not a leader and people should not expect him to lead. He is a player that needs a support network and if the players around are not performing Ozil won't either.

But where you are flabbergastingly wrong is, you claim Ozil needs top players around him to perform well, so how is it that he led the assists and chances created stats while playing for Arsenal teams that included Walcott, Giroud, Welbeck, Coquelin, Elneny, Iwobi, Xhaka, Oxo, Gnabry, Campbell, Bendtner!!

In fact, the only truly top players Ozil has played with at Arsenal have been Cazorla, Rosicky and Sanchez ffs

You make a good point, but as pointed out on the Pepe thread the game has changed a lot, defenders are a whole different breed to the 6'4 lumps who clattered any forward that got in range twenty years ago. Their days were numbered when speed merchants like Walcott, Kanchelskis, Bale, Ronaldo, Giggs started running past big slow defenders like they weren't even there.

You now have fullbacks or wing-backs who are just as quick as attacking wingers, you have centre backs who are highly mobile and you have a very much tougher offside rule.

Ozil has played through these changes from being able to find pacey forwards bursting past defenders for a beautiful assist time after time, now these moments are like finding hen's teeth, that's not Ozil's fault it's just the impact off much better defending.

The other massive change is the pressing game, for the first ten years of his career Ozil was too tackling as Abbot is to maths ... the two things just never happened ... now being pressed, and being able to press the opposition, is a key part of any AM's game.

So Ozil hasn't changed all that much, given time and space and no need to defend he's still one of the most gifted players on the planet, but sadly for him the game has changed a lot ... truly great players reinvent themselves every season, most like Ozil simply cannot.

This isn't an attack on Ozil he's the same player he always was, it's an attack on the club for persevering with a player no longer able to do the job required, if Ozil were to score even just 5 goals and get 15 assists he'd be welcome with open arms - but half way through the season 0 goals and just 1 assist ... those numbers simply can't be ignored.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby NJ_Gunner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Funny people saying how bad Ozil and Lacazette were... they set up the first goal. What exactly can the rest of the team say they did all game? Brilliant first 30 minutes for everyone, then everyone sucked for the last 60. It is what it is.
NJ_Gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Also lol at better defending when clean sheets are at a PL record low
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Santi wrote:Poor today but less than a week ago he’d been one of our best players vs top 6 teams. We need to stop making flip flopping conclusions after 1 game either way.

People aren't flip-flopping. Most have already made their minds. They just wait for him to have a "poor," game to pounce at him.

If Ozil doesn't play, I'm sure we'd win the League.
Stop being a little bitch. Lacazette is getting the same threatment as ozil right now as these 2 were horendous. Youbare acting like we are ignoring the 10 other players that were poor but only focus on ozil. Because thats what you want to see so you can go back to resorting to muuhhhh scapegoat.

Laca was even worse than ozil and needs to go too im affraid

You drumming about it won't change the fact that Ozil is always targeted whenever we lose or he doesn't have a great game.

And you can keep your whataboutism with you.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 pm

We had like 2 shots on target the whole game against a palace team rank with injuries. It was actually an appalling performance if you really think about it. No transition from defence to attack and no pace in the passing, Ozil missing, Pepe shocking
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goonerz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:As Jayram has argued, over the 4 games he has played for Arteta, Ozil has been one of our best players.

But as soon as we drop points the dweebs roll in with their incessant whining and criticism, as if Ozil is the biggest problem we have.

Do you hear that ....... that is the sound of predictability, that is the sound of Ozil bashing as soon as we drop points.

Don't you see the problem - as soon as our supposed superstar goes missing we drop points - and it now happens more often than not.

You can't build a team around a player who simply doesn't turn up every week, what's so hard to understand.

Arteta set us up yesterday with three attacking players around Ozil to give him the targets he can supposedly find 'with his eyes closed' 70 minutes later having had just 28 touches and made zero key passes he was dragged off ... meanwhile our game-plan was in ruins, Arteta must be pulling his hair out in frustration what more can he do for our pampered showpony?

The sooner Arteta grasps what pretty much every manager Ozil has had in the last ten years realised - you don't build a team around Ozil - only ruin lies in that direction.

Not Ozil's fault he only works at his best when surrounded by top quality players, he's simply not capable of dragging an average team upwards week in week out ... how many times must he fail before you get that?

I have actually never understood this catchphrase from the day i first heard it from it’s drafters.

It absolutely makes zero sense. What half decent player wouldn’t look good when surrounded by players better than him?

It is a weird statement. Ain’t that what describes a typical mouthy bully or playground bully? He is only strong and mouthy when surrounded by bigger much older friends of his. But without then he is a coward. “But but i need my stronger mates around me to prove how strong I am.”.

It’s also like saying, “I am intelligent and can only prove it by sitting next to my much more intelligent classmates that will let me copy their answers during Exams. Then I can claim how super intelligent I am.”.

Isn’t it meant to be the other way around?
So called world class players make their teammates better? Aren’t good players supposed to standout from a bunch of poor / average players?

It’s a very weird tilt on reality as we know it.. :dizzy:
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 pm

Angelito wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Santi wrote:Poor today but less than a week ago he’d been one of our best players vs top 6 teams. We need to stop making flip flopping conclusions after 1 game either way.

People aren't flip-flopping. Most have already made their minds. They just wait for him to have a "poor," game to pounce at him.

If Ozil doesn't play, I'm sure we'd win the League.
Stop being a little bitch. Lacazette is getting the same threatment as ozil right now as these 2 were horendous. Youbare acting like we are ignoring the 10 other players that were poor but only focus on ozil. Because thats what you want to see so you can go back to resorting to muuhhhh scapegoat.

Laca was even worse than ozil and needs to go too im affraid

You drumming about it won't change the fact that Ozil is always targeted whenever we lose or he doesn't have a great game.

And you can keep your whataboutism with you.

Ozil isn't being "targeted", he's being held to account. That's what happens when he's on the wages of 3 men. I can see how it feels like he's being singled out when his fan club here tags him as MOTM in pretty much every game when he STILL isn't scoring or assisting.

I see just as many posts critical of Pepe. He wouldn't be getting that kind of heat if he wasn't our record signing.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Ozil has been wank since he signed the contract, it can't be defended, we would have been better if letting him go.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby VCC » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:24 pm

Fact is against palace luiz hit more players with telling passes to space than Ozil,
As I have said many times Ozil is not the right fit for a team with the pace up front that we have, playing tippy tappy through one player who rarely turns up,and never turns up against top quality.
Like I have said in a fast paced league of Ducati type players why build a team around a vespa
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 pm

I posted this earlier but people cant see it without VPN so this one is just a compilation but please watch

That assist vs Norwich.

Creating your own space, using dribbling skill!!! This is essential for an attacking midfielder sling with passing

This is the biggest thing we are missing right now. We don't have to even buy Grealish. Harit can do the same at the very least. This is an example of the players out there we need to buy to solve our creative issues.

This is what i cannot understand, why people are so emotional about keeping him when Ozil is clearly past it and there are many, many good players out there who can do much, much better!

Remember, Grealish is doing this for f***ing Aston Villa. Imagine how good he would be with Auba on the end of his passes!!!
Last edited by elkanofan on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm

VCC wrote:Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?

I'm not sure if he was ever all that effective for Arsenal against teams like these. If he could at least be a flat track bully like in the old days, I wouldn't complain as much.

Even Giroud reliably grabbed ~16 league goals a season, mostly against lower-table teams. We're coming to the point where Ozil can't even bag 5 league assists in a year.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm

elkanofan wrote:https://youtu.be/4ps9sSfti4Y

I posted this earlier but people cant see it without VPN so this one is just a compilation but please watch

That assist vs Norwich.

Creating your own space, using dribbling skill!!! This is essential for an attacking midfielder sling with passing

This is the biggest thing we are missing right now. We don't have to even buy Grealish. Harit can do the same at the very least. This is an example of the players out there we need to buy to solve our creative issues.

This is what i cannot understand, why people are so emotional about keeping him when Ozil is clearly past it and there are many, many good players out there who can do much, much better!

Remember, Grealish is doing this for f***ing Aston Villa. Imagine how good he would be with Auba on the end of his passes!!!

its hard to talk sense with people wearinmg Mesut Ozil autographed panties.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Goonerz wrote:I have actually never understood this catchphrase from the day i first heard it from it’s drafters.

It absolutely makes zero sense. What half decent player wouldn’t look good when surrounded by players better than him?

It is a weird statement. Ain’t that what describes a typical mouthy bully or playground bully? He is only strong and mouthy when surrounded by bigger much older friends of his. But without then he is a coward. “But but i need my stronger mates around me to prove how strong I am.”.

It’s also like saying, “I am intelligent and can only prove it by sitting next to my much more intelligent classmates that will let me copy their answers during Exams. Then I can claim how super intelligent I am.”.

Isn’t it meant to be the other way around?
So called world class players make their teammates better? Aren’t good players supposed to standout from a bunch of poor / average players?

It’s a very weird tilt on reality as we know it.. :dizzy:

It's odd that you don't understand this expression, well used in sport for decades it's not hard to grasp .... let me try and dumb it down for you

There are two players who have the same list of abilities - great touch, great range of passes, great vision - poor aerial, poor tackling, poor pressing

Now here's where they differ and where the expression "needs great team mates" comes from ...

Player A needs time and space to operate, limit both of these and he becomes ineffective, a championship or EL level team can negate his ability to impact the game, as recently demonstrated by Leeds. When the going gets tough he becomes a passenger in the team. Only when the opposition are focused on his teammates does he have the chance to shine.

Player B also needs time and space to operate, limit both of these and he roams all over the pitch demanding the ball and looking to still impact the game (think Messi, Ronaldo, KdB) When the going gets tough he will become the driving force in the team. The more the opposition look to shut him down the more he will shine.

and off course there's one other massive difference ....

When needed player B will score you a goal, when needed player A won't even take the shot ....

The fact is truly world class player end up in a world class teams - Ozil has spent seven years picking up his pay cheque with us - that may hurt to hear but sadly it's also true.

This is not a criticism of Ozil he has played the same way throughout his career, he is the "icing on the cake" player who takes you to another level if you are already a very good side - Germany - RM even 2015 Arsenal when Giroud and Sanchez had their purple patch. The fact is when things get tough the very last type of player you need is a Ozil ... but on 350k a week we simply had no choice.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club