The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ozil hasn't made an assist away from home in over 2 years now. Pretty shocking.

Set up both goals in the 2-0 win in Milan in 17/18
Set up maitland niles goal at Liverpool in the league cup this season

I'll be more specific, he hasn't had an assist in the Premier League away from home in 2 years.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ozil hasn't made an assist away from home in over 2 years now. Pretty shocking.

I'll be more specific, he hasn't had an assist in the Premier League away from home in 2 years.

I would imagine as a team we haven't had many either.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Your top asset needs to make difference

Weather you see that as top money earner or best player, either way he falls into that category wrongly or right.

Those who rate his ball retention or ability to find a pass will say that is what we will lose with out him let's analys that

Although he is very good at recycling the ball, what is acheived in this recycle, the side are creating nothing but seems our so called creator is not able or allowed to find pockets of space to create from.

Ozil is not great at finding space on or just inside the box to score, I think that is an area others very much have over him currently.

This side has a look of a lumberjack trying to shoe horn his foot into a high heel.

Ozil simply does not fit the EPL anymore, he is far too easy to defend, he has become so one dimensional

To build or change near a whole team to suit a player who is at best inconsistant (apart from his ball recycling) would be stupid.

Let's get real ozil needs players that can create off his ball recycling he looks like he struggles playing with wingers so it ain't happening there. So we need investment to sign a Ramsey like player or 5,

That investment is not going to happen !!!
So it's time to play the wingers drop the number 10 and find a different style that suits this side
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:33 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

It's pretty poor when we're talking over a 2 year period and he's supposed to be our best playmaker. AMN and Kolasinac have even managed to come up with two assists away from home this season.

I think Arseblog looked up the stat to further his point about the team selection away from home and the form. But when it comes to Ozil's assists, it doesn't matter whether it's home or away. He's made 5 assists in two full seasons and that includes cup games. If we don't see an upturn soon it may be time to accept that he's not what he was.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:42 pm

VCC wrote:Your top asset needs to make difference

Weather you see that as top money earner or best player, either way he falls into that category wrongly or right.

Those who rate his ball retention or ability to find a pass will say that is what we will lose with out him let's analys that

Although he is very good at recycling the ball, what is acheived in this recycle, the side are creating nothing but seems our so called creator is not able or allowed to find pockets of space to create from.

Ozil is not great at finding space on or just inside the box to score, I think that is an area others very much have over him currently.

This side has a look of a lumberjack trying to shoe horn his foot into a high heel.

Ozil simply does not fit the EPL anymore, he is far too easy to defend, he has become so one dimensional

To build or change near a whole team to suit a player who is at best inconsistant (apart from his ball recycling) would be stupid.

Let's get real ozil needs players that can create off his ball recycling he looks like he struggles playing with wingers so it ain't happening there. So we need investment to sign a Ramsey like player or 5,

That investment is not going to happen !!!
So it's time to play the wingers drop the number 10 and find a different style that suits this side

Good post and observation with his movement. He often drifts into wide areas and yesterday I was watching how close to the line he was and not too far ahead of Bellerin which was near the half way line. There was no real chemistry down that right side between Ozil, Martinelli and Bellerin so it was pretty pointless. No quick one two exchanges and no bursting runs to help support other areas of the pitch. Just wasn't playing between the lines enough.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

It's pretty poor when we're talking over a 2 year period and he's supposed to be our best playmaker. AMN and Kolasinac have even managed to come up with two assists away from home this season.

I think Arseblog looked up the stat to further his point about the team selection away from home and the form. But when it comes to Ozil's assists, it doesn't matter whether it's home or away. He's made 5 assists in two full seasons and that includes cup games. If we don't see an upturn soon it may be time to accept that he's not what he was.

The whole team has been poor over two years. But of course you sound like you think I'm defending Ozil and I'm not, but I get it, its normal to be on the defensive.

So then no need to single out his away form, when it would have just been easier to say he's been shit overall right! ;)

I think we're way past all this talk about him not being what he was, it's only been said after every game and in-between games as well. Ha! In fact I don't think anything new has been said in this thread all season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:19 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

The whole team has been poor over two years. But of course you sound like you think I'm defending Ozil and I'm not, but I get it, its normal to be on the defensive.

So then no need to single out his away form, when it would have just been easier to say he's been shit overall right! ;)

I think we're way past all this talk about him not being what he was, it's only been said after every game and in-between games as well. Ha! In fact I don't think anything new has been said in this thread all season.

I think you may be reading a little too much into that post and shouldn't assume. I didn't assume you were defending Ozil because it didn't sound like a defence. But i'm giving you some context as to why the 2 year stat has been floating around since it's up for discussion and thought you were interested. The away stat was relevant because we just played another away game and we have a couple of players that have overwhelmed for a long time and it's something management should look into for team selection.

The assists have been spread around the squad and our away form hasn't been great recently but if Iwobi can at least manage 3 assists away from home last season, Ozil should at least be able to considering he's a far better player.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I think you may be reading a little too much into that post and shouldn't assume. I didn't assume you were defending Ozil because it didn't sound like a defence. But i'm giving you some context as to why the 2 year stat has been floating around since it's up for discussion and thought you were interested. The away stat was relevant because we just played another away game and we have a couple of players that have overwhelmed for a long time and it's something management should look into for team selection.

The assists have been spread around the squad and our away form hasn't been great recently but if Iwobi can at least manage 3 assists away from home last season, Ozil should at least be able to considering he's a far better player.

Ah ok my bad then. I was ass this time! Ha! :P

How many away games has Ozil played this season? Seems like Emery didn't play him a lot. I'm just asking because then it would be hard to compare if he had far fewer games than the others. But other than that I would agree. But like I said, we know he isn't what he used to be. We know that we have to get rid of him and his wages, with a host of other players. We have so much to do though as a club, it's almost easier to list the players we'd like to keep. I'm sure that would be a shorter list.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:43 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

How many away games has Ozil played this season? Seems like Emery didn't play him a lot. I'm just asking because then it would be hard to compare if he had far fewer games than the others. But other than that I would agree. But like I said, we know he isn't what he used to be. We know that we have to get rid of him and his wages, with a host of other players. We have so much to do though as a club, it's almost easier to list the players we'd like to keep. I'm sure that would be a shorter list.

8 Prem away appearances this season. With Ozil I just think we need to try something new in terms of position and formation. I don't know whether we're be better off bringing him on for 30 mins, playing him in a more deeper role where he play it more like QB to dictate play from a deeper position....anything to try and spark some like into him because I think we have seen so many different combinations in that attacking 10 role that it just comes down to his own skillset now and nobody else's.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

8 Prem away appearances this season. With Ozil I just think we need to try something new in terms of position and formation. I don't know whether we're be better off bringing him on for 30 mins, playing him in a more deeper role where he play it more like QB to dictate play from a deeper position....anything to try and spark some like into him because I think we have seen so many different combinations in that attacking 10 role that it just comes down to his own skillset now and nobody else's.

Maybe so. I've given up trying to think about that. It hurts my brain. :dizzy:

But seeing as we're stuck with the guy, we have to try something.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:05 pm

Yep. I keep saying I'd like to see him try a more Pirlo like role to see if that revives his career. We're stuck with him and whilst I don't think he's great at assists anymore I still think he could help us build attacks from deep.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Yep. I keep saying I'd like to see him try a more Pirlo like role to see if that revives his career. We're stuck with him and whilst I don't think he's great at assists anymore I still think he could help us build attacks from deep.

There might be something in that but there's a conflict of interests.

Xhaka is currently playing that Pirlo esque role and that is what I said the other day is the issue.

Xhaka's long balls are cutting Ozil out of the game.

Ozil won't be played deep because he's not great at defensive work and Xhaka is at least willing.

Arsenal's typical passage of play is this ..........

Leno rolls the ball out, defence usually ping it back and forth wasting 2-3 minutes, the ball finally gets to Xhaka or Guendouzi.
If it gets to Guendouzi, Ozil has a chance of getting on the ball but that's if no one else gets it, if Xhaka has it then he sprays it wide or up front.

All in all this is why a player like Ramsey or Willock looks better, because they'll come deep and carry the ball forward like Guendouzi does, run at the defence then either attack or lay the ball off to the forwards.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Yep. I keep saying I'd like to see him try a more Pirlo like role to see if that revives his career. We're stuck with him and whilst I don't think he's great at assists anymore I still think he could help us build attacks from deep.

Problem with him playing deeper is if the ball is lost ozil being deeper means less defensive cover he is not the type to win the ball back.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 pm

VCC wrote:

Problem with him playing deeper is if the ball is lost ozil being deeper means less defensive cover he is not the type to win the ball back.

You'll always have that problem if you lose the ball and we just compound the problem when we have players in the midfield that can't play the ball forward and dwindle on the ball too long because they're overthinking.

We'd have to play him alongside someone like Torriera who can help cover the ground defending and maybe play Guendouzi or Willock as a box to box player. The role isn't far off from how we use Xhaka. I just think Ozil could offer better passing and little more mobility but he has to be brave on the ball and not hide in areas where he can't recieve the ball or is worried about getting his hair messed up. I'm thinking of a performance similar to what we saw when Celballos started against Burnley.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:30 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:

You'll always have that problem if you lose the ball and we just compound the problem when we have players in the midfield that can't play the ball forward and dwindle on the ball too long because they're overthinking.

We'd have to play him alongside someone like Torriera who can help cover the ground defending and maybe play Guendouzi or Willock as a box to box player. The role isn't far off from how we use Xhaka. I just think Ozil could offer better passing and little more mobility but he has to be brave on the ball and not hide in areas where he can't recieve the ball or is worried about getting his hair messed up. I'm thinking of a performance similar to what we saw when Celballos started against Burnley.

I would try anything to get this side performing

However if that worked I would be the first to fall off a chair in amazement, I understand the ideal is to get passing and doors unlocked, but it would go against everything in ozils tool kit being in the conflict of the deep midfeild, I think he is too light weight to play there personally

But hey never say never
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club