The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 am

Its been Arsenal's problem for years, champagne prices for lemonade football.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 am

PairyGrows wrote:Have a look at the first four names on that table. Two strikers, two attacking midfielders. It's so difficult to get all these players playing in their best positions at the same time that it's almost impossible. Essentially, we're never going to get the best out of our four highest earners at the same time.

That right there should tell you everything about the way this club has been managed over the last five years or so. Unless rectified immediately, the wage bill is going to hold us back from competing for top four in the foreseeable future.

It's difficult but other teams find a way to cope. PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, even France won the World Cup with three strikers starting (Giroud, Griezmann, Mbappe) and three central midfielders (Kante, Pogba, Matuidi). Players have to be willing to adapt and adjust and the coach has to be able to find a way to sell the vision.

There isn't much of a difference between Auba playing wide compared to when he's played out through the middle. Still operates as a poacher and even when playing with two up top, he had to drift wide and work the channels.

Lacazette works his socks off and he'll be productive as a second striker, leading striker or even if we played him wide because he drives forward and will take his man on.

Mkhitaryan usually plays wide but can also play through the middle. Ozil is the least flexible but just play him as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1. Or try him as a Cm for once.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Mbappe is not a striker, and neither is Griezmann. They're both wingers, Costa is striker at Atletico, along with Morata, while Cavani is the striker at PSG
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Emeryates wrote:Mbappe is not a striker, and neither is Griezmann. They're both wingers, Costa is striker at Atletico, along with Morata, while Cavani is the striker at PSG

You're wrong. Look it up.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kylian- ... ler/342229
https://www.transfermarkt.com/antoine-g ... ler/125781
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:12 pm

theHotHead wrote:Its been Arsenal's problem for years, champagne prices for lemonade football.

Arsenal in nutshell. But our fans are idiots. They will tell spending crazy money on tickets show they are great fans. Basically pricing out average fans. Offcourse the club aint gonna bring tickets down if morons are willing to pay those prices
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Emeryates wrote:Mbappe is not a striker, and neither is Griezmann. They're both wingers, Costa is striker at Atletico, along with Morata, while Cavani is the striker at PSG

:rofll:
Griezmann is a winger ???

Mbappe you could say possibly is only because he beats players, wingers typically beat a man and whip in a cross. Mbappe beats a man and goes for goal, hence why I say he is not a winger, not in the traditional sense.

But Griezmann, thats funny !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Mbappe and griezmann both started on the wings but can also play upfront in much the same vain as ronaldo, Suarez and messi were all wingers/wing forwards that can also play upfront.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:So we have to put him up for £5m to shift him? Doesn't that say enough? You tell me what's scaring clubs off from bidding for him? Everything else to do with the club can be discussed elsewhere and already has been discussed. I'm not switching the focus to help deflect the attention away from Ozil.

You're a decent poster. Please respect yourself. I don't think all of this is as difficult to grasp.

Who told you that nobody has bid for him? Can you give me a list of clubs that have bid for Lacazette? Can you name the clubs we've turned down?

Please.

I obviously can’t tell you who has officially made a bid for Lacazette, but I can show he has been linked to Barcelona already. He was spotted there and that got the papers talking. Aubameyang has been linked with Real Madrid today. It could all be the usual guesswork for the tabloids, I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. But if contract talks break down between Laca and Auba for whatever reason, there is no way either of them end up staying at Arsenal with all transfer speculation talk from big clubs cooling off.

With the amount of hype some of you are generating for Ozil, there is no way a player like that gets down to his last year and clubs aren’t falling over themselves to pay him whatever he wants. You saw what happened with Sanchez and I’m sure it was a similar situation with Mahrez where City paid a silly price for him despite being in his last year of contract.

If Ozil had any ambition and thought he could get a deal with one of the bigger clubs, he’d hand in a transfer request. If he hated Emery that much and knew he’d be on the bench for the remainder of his Arsenal career, he’d look for the exit. Instead we get this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -his-agent

"I would prefer not to speak publicly about Mesut's situation but, given the recent speculation linking him with a move away from Arsenal, I do feel it is important to provide some clarity, so we can end this and focus on football.
"Mesut signed a new contract last January, because he saw his future at Arsenal, and nothing has changed in his mind.
"He wants to stay for the duration of that contract and maybe even longer.

And

https://talksport.com/football/536343/m ... g-arsenal/

“Yes absolutely,” he replied when asked if he will be at Arsenal next season.
“I have two years left on my contract. I don’t know about after that but yes, absolutely. I’m 30 now and I’ve still got two years in front of me and what happens after that I don’t know myself.”

Actions will speak louder than words and if he’s not pushing for the exit this summer we’ll see more creativity from you guys. The good players are never hard to shift.

Re: Lacazette and Barca links

Again, it's all paper talk. I really wished we stopped talking like we're Directors of Football at Arsenal. Objectively, we don't know unless a so-called Tier 1 source talks about it.

The argument is about us shipping out Ozil. The argument isn't if Ozil has ambition if Ozil wants to stay or go. My point is—for the umpteenth time—if we want to offload Ozil, there are ways and ways of doing so. The mighty Arsenal aren't "stuck" with him. Contrary to the popular sentiment, Ozil didn't offer himself that contract, nor did Ozil bully anyone at the club to give him that £350k salary.

Nobody is generating any hype. Ozil is 30. He's past his best, most likely. But that doesn't mean he's Chamakh all of a sudden. Yet, what you specifically are doing is simply dodging the main point and posting quotes about an employee of Arsenal talking about wanting to stay at Arsenal, and simply how he's happy here.

God forbid if he came out and said that he wants to go, you would have a field day arguing against the same counterpoint you're using to, mind-bogglingly, criticize Ozil.

And, there are no, "you guys," here if you want to get sneaky. You're arguing with me. You can address me directly.

As I've said one million times already, we have to offload Ozil for various reasons and one of the reasons is that the fanbase has become toxic regarding Ozil. Among other reasons, one more reason is that I wouldn't want next season to be about Ozil, but about Unai Emery and Raul Sanllehi. If we want to, we can sell Ozil. Ozil isn't Yaya Sanogo.

Now, let's stop being the DoF at Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Zedie wrote:Mbappe and griezmann both started on the wings but can also play upfront in much the same vain as ronaldo, Suarez and messi were all wingers/wing forwards that can also play upfront.

Lacazette and Aubameyang also started out on the wings. Henry got his start on the wing. Even after establishing himself as striker at Arsenal, when he moved to Barcelona he was back playing on the wings.

But going back to my original point, it's possible to fit everyone into a formation and our best form came when it was a 4-2-3-1. When we started messing around and tinkering with the formation the performances and form dipped. We had one game late in our 22 unbeaten run where we played some unbelievable football. Quick passing, chance after chance created. Reminded me of Wengerball. Why we moved away from that still has me confused because it looked like the team had finally gelled. Can anyone remember the game?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Mbappe you could say possibly is only because he beats players, wingers typically beat a man and whip in a cross. Mbappe beats a man and goes for goal, hence why I say he is not a winger, not in the traditional sense.

https://www.intothecalderon.com/2019/2/ ... iga-column
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Emeryates wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

https://www.intothecalderon.com/2019/2/ ... iga-column

That article is talking about a tactical shift and how Simeone is trying to play 3 strikers at the same time.

To see Griezmann’s starting position being on the left flank was an unusual sight, but one we may have to get used to going forward if Simeone wants to play Costa and Morata as a front two. To expect the Frenchman to occupy something of a No.10 role just behind the strikers is a pipe dream, as Simeone won’t want to be so attacking.

That's exactly the point I was making about adapting some of our key players. Griezmann hasn't been starting as a winger Simeone.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 am

Zedie wrote:Mbappe and griezmann both started on the wings but can also play upfront in much the same vain as ronaldo, Suarez and messi were all wingers/wing forwards that can also play upfront.

And Ashley Cole started off as a striker before converting to a left back.

The point is, neither Griezmann or Mbappe play as wingers - Griezmann for the longest while.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Lacazette and Aubameyang also started out on the wings. Henry got his start on the wing. Even after establishing himself as striker at Arsenal, when he moved to Barcelona he was back playing on the wings.

But going back to my original point, it's possible to fit everyone into a formation and our best form came when it was a 4-2-3-1. When we started messing around and tinkering with the formation the performances and form dipped. We had one game late in our 22 unbeaten run where we played some unbelievable football. Quick passing, chance after chance created. Reminded me of Wengerball. Why we moved away from that still has me confused because it looked like the team had finally gelled. Can anyone remember the game?

Spurs home
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby weaponx57 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 am

This f***er needs to get out of our club once and for all
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Angelito » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Lads, it's that chances created stat, which was exclusively created for Ozil again.

:arse flag.gif:

Scenes when Ozil in his worst season still leads.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club