The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Emery: Özil must defend

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 pm

My only objection would be WHERE he is given his defensive role.

Put him centrally at No10 at the head of our midfield and he will close down and press, he did it in the 2nd half to the 90th minute.

But stick him out wide against a top winger and he's simply being asked to do something he's not equipped for.

Its like us asking Aubameyang to be a CB, then getting mad if he lets a goal in.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:01 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:The last few pages of this thread illustrate perfectly why a rational discussion about racism cannot take place anywhere these days.

Tbh I think its pathetic its talked about so much and is even still happening to the extent it is.

I actually feel racism is more rife now and especially headlining media and discussion points more now than it ever was in the 90's.

In fact I don't remember people even talking about race in the 90's.

I'm sorry Diamond but that has got to be one of the most stupid and ill thought of comments ever posted on here and that's f***ing saying something.

That you say you don't remember is your only saving grace if you were like in a coma or on a remote island in the outer hebrides or something for a decade.

Even the biggest British comedy ever, referenced Nelson Mandela house to which you would be the only person going 'who?', otherwise you must have been auditioning for 'Tommy' as a genuine deaf, dumb and blind kid to be oblivious to the Steven Lawrence case.

This is seriously offensive.

What's offensive you doughnut?

I didn't see race played out over the media the way it is today, among my generation race was not some hot topic etc etc.

I'm not saying it didn't exist prior to the 2000's I'm saying it wasn't on a 24hr continuous loop the way it is now.

It seems its an every day topic now where we never used to speak about race in the 90's compared to now, even Presidents etc are all caught up in it.

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I think the internet and Twitter especially which provides a platform for 8 billion people to share their opinions makes it seem like racism is more prevalent.

The internet subjects us to everyone's opinion.

In the 90s you would only hear or read what was said by people you were in contact with or on the news/in print.

Nowadays there are 2000 comments by random plebs after every article published on any site.

Your probably right, I just feel it was never the highlight of media or discussion back then, I never used to see as much talk about it on TV or in the papers as now.

Now everythings Muslim this, Immigrants that, kneeling for the National anthem this and all the arguments that take place because of it which all end up discussing race.

Yago wrote:
lol u joking?

Rodney King & LA riots, OJ Simpson...

I was referring to recent history as in the 90's, thought that was clear.

Obviously the 60's and 70's were worse, there's no debating that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Interesting times ahead perhaps.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:The last few pages of this thread illustrate perfectly why a rational discussion about racism cannot take place anywhere these days.

Tbh I think its pathetic its talked about so much and is even still happening to the extent it is.

I actually feel racism is more rife now and especially headlining media and discussion points more now than it ever was in the 90's.

I'm sorry Diamond but that has got to be one of the most stupid and ill thought of comments ever posted on here and that's f***ing saying something.

That you say you don't remember is your only saving grace if you were like in a coma or on a remote island in the outer hebrides or something for a decade.

Even the biggest British comedy ever, referenced Nelson Mandela house to which you would be the only person going 'who?', otherwise you must have been auditioning for 'Tommy' as a genuine deaf, dumb and blind kid to be oblivious to the Steven Lawrence case.

This is seriously offensive.

What's offensive you doughnut?

I didn't see race played out over the media the way it is today, among my generation race was not some hot topic etc etc.

I'm not saying it didn't exist prior to the 2000's I'm saying it wasn't on a 24hr continuous loop the way it is now.

It seems its an every day topic now where we never used to speak about race in the 90's compared to now, even Presidents etc are all caught up in it.

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I think the internet and Twitter especially which provides a platform for 8 billion people to share their opinions makes it seem like racism is more prevalent.

The internet subjects us to everyone's opinion.

In the 90s you would only hear or read what was said by people you were in contact with or on the news/in print.

Nowadays there are 2000 comments by random plebs after every article published on any site.

Your probably right, I just feel it was never the highlight of media or discussion back then, I never used to see as much talk about it on TV or in the papers as now.

Now everythings Muslim this, Immigrants that, kneeling for the National anthem this and all the arguments that take place because of it which all end up discussing race.

Yago wrote:
lol u joking?

Rodney King & LA riots, OJ Simpson...

I was referring to recent history as in the 90's, thought that was clear.

Obviously the 60's and 70's were worse, there's no debating that.

And you have the audacity to childishly refer to me as a doughnut? Rodney King, O J Simpson, Steven Lawrence and the end of apartheid was the f***ing 90's.

Ignorance truly is bliss.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CaptGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:My only objection would be WHERE he is given his defensive role.

Put him centrally at No10 at the head of our midfield and he will close down and press, he did it in the 2nd half to the 90th minute.

But stick him out wide against a top winger and he's simply being asked to do something he's not equipped for.

Its like us asking Aubameyang to be a CB, then getting mad if he lets a goal in.

Exactly.

Play him as a 10 or don’t play him at all.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:14 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
And you have the audacity to childishly refer to me as a doughnut? Rodney King, O J Simpson, Steven Lawrence and the end of apartheid was the f***ing 90's.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

I'm talking from a British perspective and I don't actually care what you say, my experience is people are talking about race more today than they ever did in the 90's (in Britain) I can't talk for America or South Africa.

And what do you mean ignorance, I don't even get what your issue is tbf, your just coming off like a fkin idiot, if you have a point to make why don't you just say it instead of making snide remarks.

............ and again I'm talking Britain, not down town LA or South bloody Africa which was built on racial divide.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Nah, it's like people feeling the world is more unsafe now than it was 20 years ago. The 24 hour news makes things seem worse than they are.

I'm only one data point, but imo, racism has decreased over the years.

Yeah, decreased to the point that nobody is scratching their head wondering how come the number of black managers equate to less than 1% yet number of black players over 40%.

There's more than one factor (i.e., skin color) when it comes to jobs.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

I agree with Diamond in that racism seems to be a far bigger topic now than it was in the 90s, its not even close.

Political correctness, social media, immigration which has pushed the far right into the headlines and religious extremism seems to have sent racism into overdrive.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Ach wrote:No problem with that.

I don't expect Ozil to just stand around and let players run past him and make no attempt and he doesn't do that. He gets back but people criticise him for not making crunching challenges, winning the ball etc

Know the player

Exactly,its not like he just lets players run past him. But lets not expect him to jump in making tackles cos he cant tackle, simple. Better he gets back behind the ball and slow up the attacking team
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Absolutely has to go asap
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Sims » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:21 pm

marsbar has the emotional capacity of a 18 year old girl on the blob
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Absolutely has to go asap

I don't get it, he's not been bad at all today, if anything he needs to get on the ball more.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:30 pm

He was invisible in the beginning, but part of that is because we didn't habe the ball at all.

Made a good run for the 2nd goal though
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

I don't get it, he's not been bad at all today, if anything he needs to get on the ball more.

On to much money for what he brings, you got to change formation for him, we was 3 against 2 first half, it's not his quality that is the issue
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

On to much money for what he brings, you got to change formation for him, we was 3 against 2 first half, it's not his quality that is the issue

The reason he's on too much money is because of the crap we were putting up with under Wenger all our best players were jumping ship.

Sanchez being the latest example.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club