The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gooney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 pm

All I know is people constantly use stats to justify how good he is. I never see people use stats for KDB or David Silva. And even when he had 6 months left in his contract no big club came in for him and wanted to sign him. Imagine a world class player has 6 months left on his deal and isnt signing....big clubs would come in for him
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:Daft enough to pay top dollar for a player with the highest assists during his time in Germany, Spain and England?!!

Some daftness that would be.

I don't see anybody knocking the door down to get him. lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Since the beginning of the 17/18 season

Ramsey 23 goals/assists Goal/assist every 114.6 mins

Ozil 15 goals/assists Goal/assist every 209 mins
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:Ozil's stats read like this, number of goals directly contributed to (either assist or goal), per league (full seasons):

Bundesliga - 43 goals in 59 appearances. 0.72 goals per appearance.
La Liga - 73 goals in 103 appearances. 0.70 goals per appearance.
Premier - 81 goals in 142 appearances. 0.57 goals per appearance.

Now look at the players he has had supporting him during his time at Arsenal, to still average just over a goal every other game at Arsenal is excellent.

As a comparison in the Premier League:
KDB - 65 goals in 98 appearances. 0.66 goals per appearance.
David Silva - 136 goals in 249 appearances. 0.54 goals per appearance.
Christian Eriksen - 93 goals in 171 appearances. 0.54 goals per appearance.
Eden Hazard - 115 goals in 208 appearances. 0.55 goals per appearance.

I have said before, Ozil's stats stand up to everyone's but people are so blinded by hatred that they refuse to see it. Ozil has had far less to work with than KDB and David Silva, Eriksen can argue that he has had less to work with than Ozil which I couldn't argue with. But the fact remains Ozil's stats stand up to the best creative players in England yet people still feel it their duty to criticise Ozil at every moment and blame him for the team's failures.

We can all pull up some great historical numbers for some great players ... what's your point? All I see from these numbers is a player who's career is steadily going downhill, add this season where Ozil has 1 assist in 981 minutes and that hill has become the white cliffs ... was that your point?

Looking at this career path since 2015 - it's steadily down - you have to question what idiot approved 350k a week .... the evidence for the decline that's followed was already there
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Since the beginning of the 17/18 season

Ramsey 23 goals/assists Goal/assist every 114.6 mins

Ozil 15 goals/assists Goal/assist every 209 mins

I didn't pull up recent stats only or stats that suited Ozil, I pulled up his full Arsenal league history to prove to people that a) they are chatting shit and b) that Ozil's stats match up to those that are supposedly better than him. Ozil has had loads of injuries recently and has been less effective.

Ramsey - 62 goals in 130 appearances. 0.47 goals per appearance, over the same period as Ozil.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Ozil's stats read like this, number of goals directly contributed to (either assist or goal), per league (full seasons):

Bundesliga - 43 goals in 59 appearances. 0.72 goals per appearance.
La Liga - 73 goals in 103 appearances. 0.70 goals per appearance.
Premier - 81 goals in 142 appearances. 0.57 goals per appearance.

Now look at the players he has had supporting him during his time at Arsenal, to still average just over a goal every other game at Arsenal is excellent.

As a comparison in the Premier League:
KDB - 65 goals in 98 appearances. 0.66 goals per appearance.
David Silva - 136 goals in 249 appearances. 0.54 goals per appearance.
Christian Eriksen - 93 goals in 171 appearances. 0.54 goals per appearance.
Eden Hazard - 115 goals in 208 appearances. 0.55 goals per appearance.

I have said before, Ozil's stats stand up to everyone's but people are so blinded by hatred that they refuse to see it. Ozil has had far less to work with than KDB and David Silva, Eriksen can argue that he has had less to work with than Ozil which I couldn't argue with. But the fact remains Ozil's stats stand up to the best creative players in England yet people still feel it their duty to criticise Ozil at every moment and blame him for the team's failures.

We can all pull up some great historical numbers for some great players ... what's your point? All I see from these numbers is a player who's career is steadily going downhill, add this season where Ozil has 1 assist in 981 minutes and that hill has become the white cliffs ... was that your point?

Looking at this career path since 2015 - it's steadily down - you have to question what idiot approved 350k a week .... the evidence for the decline that's followed was already there

I proved that people be talking some rubbish about Ozil's FULL League career at Arsenal thus far.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dynamite » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Hazard or Eriksen were youngsters as they joined their clubs....
Your stats are not valid that's the only prove here.
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Dynamite wrote:Hazard or Eriksen were youngsters as they joined their clubs....
Your stats are not valid that's the only prove here.

Ozil was 24 when he joined Arsenal.
Hazard was 21 when he joined Chelsea.
Eriksen was 20 when he joined Spurs.

How does that change a damned thing ?? If people are going to argue and say one player is more effective than the other the numbers should prove it. Clearly the numbers DO NOT prove it. All you proved is you have nothing worthwhile to bring to the discussion, so go back to sleep.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I feckin hate all this use of stats! Okay, I'm old....but in my day we knew a good player when we saw him and didn't need numbers to know if he's played well or not. I watch almost all of Arsenals games, so I'm not interested in the statistics, I can clearly see that Ozil on his day is a magnificent player and is utterly benign, when its not his day.

Did I need stats to know big Tone was a great defender, Liam Brady a fantastic midfielder, or Thierry the best striker I've ever seen.......or at the other end of the scale that Iwobi isn't fit to lace the boots of Eden Hazard.......definitely not!

We've got ourselves into an almighty mess with Ozil and his wages. It's caused Rambo to try his luck and ultimately end up leaving when we most need him. Shameful business and whoever is responsible has left a very bad situation that will take us a long time to resolve.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Angelito wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:He doesn't need to come back and produce.

He's produced enough.

#MostAssistsSinceHe'sBeenInThePrem
#DroughtKiller
#WorldCup
#MostChancesCreated
#SecondMostAssistsInThePremInASingleSeason

He's a Champion player. He's our Ozil. Even if he goes, he will remain an Arsenal Icon. :arse flag.gif:

Stats to prove the first? The World Cup wasn't at Arsenal, it was for Germany.

Awww. Back to trolling again because the troll is too bored to check facts. Of course, #DumbOzilHater

Great reply. Ask for stats and get insults. :lol:

Please check facts, James. Your history is against you. You created your own history. :(

Which has what to do with stats?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Rockape wrote:I feckin hate all this use of stats! Okay, I'm old....but in my day we knew a good player when we saw him and didn't need numbers to know if he's played well or not. I watch almost all of Arsenals games, so I'm not interested in the statistics, I can clearly see that Ozil on his day is a magnificent player and is utterly benign, when its not his day.

Did I need stats to know big Tone was a great defender, Liam Brady a fantastic midfielder, or Thierry the best striker I've ever seen.......or at the other end of the scale that Iwobi isn't fit to lace the boots of Eden Hazard.......definitely not!

We've got ourselves into an almighty mess with Ozil and his wages. It's caused Rambo to try his luck and ultimately end up leaving when we most need him. Shameful business and whoever is responsible has left a very bad situation that will take us a long time to resolve.

I agree wholeheartedly with the premise of your post, which is why I only post meaningful stats, I don't go full nerd with some of these crazy stats like expected goals etc
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 pm

The best ones are when people use stats .......... from a year or two years ago.

Did Henry ever have to use stats from last week let alone last year.

I'm over it all, stats, no show's, all this crap, no more fanboying and protecting players, every player has to contribute fully or we don't need them.

Now that Ozil is clearly the Midfield talent we're keeping over Ramsey, he needs to get back in there with AOL and that front 3 needs to start gelling, however its a bit difficult with Ozil's injuries this year, been very bad.

We need him back asap.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

gooney wrote:All I know is people constantly use stats to justify how good he is. I never see people use stats for KDB or David Silva. And even when he had 6 months left in his contract no big club came in for him and wanted to sign him. Imagine a world class player has 6 months left on his deal and isnt signing....big clubs would come in for him

Here's a stat 3 epl trophies for Silva 0 for ozil
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby indy23 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Ozil is luxury ... We don't Have the match winners who do everything else to help him win the big trophies. That being said even big sides want some sort of defensive contribution now adays.. that's why mesut was comfortable here.. because we let him do what ever he wanted. emery doesn't want players who show up one week and then get a cold the next week.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 pm

indy23 wrote:
gooney wrote:All I know is people constantly use stats to justify how good he is. I never see people use stats for KDB or David Silva. And even when he had 6 months left in his contract no big club came in for him and wanted to sign him. Imagine a world class player has 6 months left on his deal and isnt signing....big clubs would come in for him

Here's a stat 3 epl trophies for Silva 0 for ozil

TIL league trophies aren't a team effort.

But if you wanna go that route: Ozil has 1 La Liga trophy, Silva has 0.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club