The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:48 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Put Ozil in that Man City side and what do you think he would do??? Records would be obliterated!!

Who for? on this seasons form he wouldn't even make their bench:

Aguero - 1258 minutes 10 goals 5 assists
Sane - 1168 minutes 7 goals 7 assists
D Silva - 1256 minutes 6 goals 2 assists
B Silva - 1672 minutes 5 goals 6 assists

Ozil - 981 minutes 3 goals 1 assist

Ozil has played less minutes, scored less goals, and provided less assists than any of MC's creative midfielders, it's not as if City have scored 40 more goals the difference is just 10, that's probably because they have creative midfielders who can also score goals ...

Ozil set records? Five years ago maybe, today not so much ....

YAAAAWN.

Silva has had Aguero, Mahrez, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo, Fernandinho, Jesus, Gundogan, Bony, De Bruyne, Ihenacho, Negredo, Navas, Dzeko, Y Toure, Nasri, Nolito, Fernando, and G Barry to feed the ball to and to receive the ball from (midfielders and attackers) in the time that Ozil has been at Arsenal.

Ozil has had Torreira, Guendouzi, Auba, Laca, Mikhi, Xhaka, Wilshere, Elneny, Iwobi, Sanogo, Gnabry, Sanchez, Welbeck, Coquelin, Bendtner, Podolski, Campbell, Walcott, Flamini, Giroud, Oxo and Cazorla to feed the ball to and receive the ball from (midfielders and attackers) in the time that he has been at Arsenal.

And you want to tell me that considering Ozil's numbers are better overall than Silva's that he wouldn't do better still if he was in the City team ?? :rofll: :rofll:

Do me a lemon bloke !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:58 am

Power n Glory wrote:We really have to stop dealing in hypotheticals with this Ozil debate. I still can't understand why he isn't getting more assists for Lacazette and Aubameyang. I always thought he'd flourish once we had taken Giroud out of the starting line and put pacey strikers up front.

Majority of Ozil assists in his best ever season for us came from passes to Giroud.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:24 pm

aniym wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We really have to stop dealing in hypotheticals with this Ozil debate. I still can't understand why he isn't getting more assists for Lacazette and Aubameyang. I always thought he'd flourish once we had taken Giroud out of the starting line and put pacey strikers up front.

Majority of Ozil assists in his best ever season for us came from passes to Giroud.

Nobody wants to explain this one.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 pm

He probably would flourish if he played. He can't flourish from the bench or the physios room.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

StLGooner wrote:

He probably would flourish if he played. He can't flourish from the bench or the physios room.

:rofll: :hail:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Angelito wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

:rofll: :hail:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm

aniym wrote:

Outrageous statement! Care to back it up?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:YAAAAWN.

Silva has had Aguero, Mahrez, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo, Fernandinho, Jesus, Gundogan, Bony, De Bruyne, Ihenacho, Negredo, Navas, Dzeko, Y Toure, Nasri, Nolito, Fernando, and G Barry to feed the ball to and to receive the ball from (midfielders and attackers) in the time that Ozil has been at Arsenal.

Ozil has had Torreira, Guendouzi, Auba, Laca, Mikhi, Xhaka, Wilshere, Elneny, Iwobi, Sanogo, Gnabry, Sanchez, Welbeck, Coquelin, Bendtner, Podolski, Campbell, Walcott, Flamini, Giroud, Oxo and Cazorla to feed the ball to and receive the ball from (midfielders and attackers) in the time that he has been at Arsenal.

And you want to tell me that considering Ozil's numbers are better overall than Silva's that he wouldn't do better still if he was in the City team ?? :rofll: :rofll:

Do me a lemon bloke !

Face it you're five years out of date OZIL WOULD NOT GET IN THE MAN CITY STARTING ELEVEN if he was good enough they would have signed him two years ago, they didn't, what bit about that don't you get?

Ozil's numbers in 2018/9 playing alongside the EPL's top goal scorer are still utter shite .... or do you not understand simple numbers?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:50 pm

So zinchenko is good enough for city and Ozil isn't?

Ok then
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:59 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:YAAAAWN.

Do me a lemon bloke !

Face it you're five years out of date OZIL WOULD NOT GET IN THE MAN CITY STARTING ELEVEN if he was good enough they would have signed him two years ago, they didn't, what bit about that don't you get?

Ozil's numbers in 2018/9 playing alongside the EPL's top goal scorer are still utter shite .... or do you not understand simple numbers?

Your first flaw in this argument is that you're basing it off a huge assumption that City would have bought Ozil if they wanted, that's just a horrible point as many teams would love to buy many players but they can't always, and then also you're comparing numbers from this season when Ozil has hardly played at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

StLGooner wrote:

I've posted this before. But will post it again here.

Lacazette has 8 goals so far this season. Auba has 15. Ozil has two assists all season. 1 for Laca and 1 for Auba.

Last season - Lacazette scored 17 goals. Only 3 of those goals came from an Ozil pass. What's worse, 2 out of the 3 assists came against CSKA in the Europa league when we hammered them ...

He's started 13 games in total with either Laca, Auba or both in the squad and only has 2 assists. 9 starts with both players in the team.

Last season 19 starts with Lacazette. Only 3 assists.

He started 7 or 8 games with Aubameyang. 1 assist that's registered from a penalty award.

So that's 6 assists from Ozil yet the pair have scored over 50 goals between them.

How is that right or justified?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm

There is more to football than just assisting or scoring, so many forget that. Plus, we have other players on the team to assist to, why just focus on two players? He does way more for us in attack than just assist. Stop concentrating on just stats, actually watch the guy play and see how he controls things, and can turn and beat a player in midfield. Something Ramsey can't do consistently enough.

But if you're trying to justify his salary then you'll never be able to. Doesn't mean he isn't needed or isn't great for us.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

StLGooner wrote:There is more to football than just assisting or scoring, so many forget that. Plus, we have other players on the team to assist to, why just focus on two players? He does way more for us in attack than just assist. Stop concentrating on just stats, actually watch the guy play and see how he controls things, and can turn and beat a player in midfield. Something Ramsey can't do consistently enough.

But if you're trying to justify his salary then you'll never be able to. Doesn't mean he isn't needed or isn't great for us.

LOL... Oh dear!

You just said he'd flourish in that area if he played and wasn't on the bench. I've given out the stats for that now you want to talk about something else despite involving yourself in a conversation based around assist stats. If you'd have started your response with this sort of post then fair enough. This looks like an attempt to now switch goal posts.

Should we talk about his chance creation stats instead?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Stats aren't everything though. But for midfield dominance and controlling a game, I don't rate Ozil highly either. Fabregas was great at dictating a game. Rosicky made a huge difference when he started playing as CM too. Same goes for Cazorla. With Ozil, he needs one of those players next to him other wise we lack control in the midfield. We're certainly not as dominant as we've been in the past.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:There is more to football than just assisting or scoring, so many forget that. Plus, we have other players on the team to assist to, why just focus on two players? He does way more for us in attack than just assist. Stop concentrating on just stats, actually watch the guy play and see how he controls things, and can turn and beat a player in midfield. Something Ramsey can't do consistently enough.

LOL... Oh dear!

You just said he'd flourish in that area if he played and wasn't on the bench. I've given out the stats for that now you want to talk about something else despite involving yourself in a conversation based around assist stats. If you'd have started your response with this sort of post then fair enough. This looks like an attempt to now switch goal posts.

Should we talk about his chance creation stats instead?

It's not, but it still stands. He has hardly played at all this year and you're complaining about his stats. Hardly seems fair does it? Then you only gives stats that pertain to two players. Just not a very good argument buddy. Not moving goal post, it's just your argument isn't very good.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club