The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

What Sims said.

Wenger also said that it would cost £100m to get someone of Ozil's quality.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Angelito wrote:What Sims said.

Well I said pages back that he's not very motivated anymore......he's won World Cups, played for the greatest team in the world, has enough money to last the rest of his life and still gets another £1.5m a month just to top that up. Added to that, he has suffered abuse from his fellow countrymen and the fire has dimmed as a result. Would he want to go somewhere else and prove himself all over again.....obviously not. Its all too much like hard work.

If that is the case and Emery is seeing it on a daily basis, whilst having other players sweating blood to make the team, you can see it's probably not a difficult decision. Disappointing obviously, but its not Emery's fault.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Angelito wrote:What Sims said.

Mustafi wrote:
Ach wrote:Heard enough of his garbage when he was in charge. Don't have to anymore.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:According to Opta, a "chance created" is an Assist plus a Key Pass.

A Key Pass according to Opta is the final pass or a pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having a shot on goal without scoring.

So in plain view, a "chance created" captures info that an assist alone doesn't, it captures those chances created by a player for another player to have a shot on goal that did not result in a goal being scored.

Now, how many of us thought a chance created meant anything other than the above? It sounds like common sense and is very logical. Basically the last pass that results in a shot on goal whether it is scored or not.

Now, Ozil's teammates don't tend to go on mazey runs and score and neither do they take many long shots - which had been a common complaint about Arsenal, trying to walk the ball into the net. So its fair to say that Ozil's chances created tend to be proper chances created, not some wonder goal.

Why is this important? Ozil creates chances that his teammates miss. Not Ozil's fault. You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink.

And to reiterate a point, this same stat applies to Eriksen, Silva, KDB etc, any pass they make that results in a shot on goal is a chance created, yet Ozil has created more than anyone else.

But but but ....

Ozil has created more than anyone else

is that only if you measure before 2016? or is it only if you count games against a team with a P in the name? In fact what measurement are you making this up from ... and frankly why do we care ... what matters is the here and now

So your Ozil love in is all very interesting ... to support it please post this seasons 'chances created' statistic, alongside assists and goals scored ... let's see where Ozil currently stands ... use any site you wish just remember to reference it ....

You could try https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created - by the way Ozil has not created more than anyone else in fact he's ranked 116th ....

If you can find any site where he's in the top fifty either by games played, minutes played, or any other comparative measurement you want then I'll be very surprised.

And look if this season isn't to your liking because the poor little flower has been a bit poorly, then try last season, but before you start I'll give you a clue it was KdB who created more chances than anyone else, but you go ahead and prove me wrong ......

All this Ozil was great five years ago is meaningless ... so was Cech, Kos, Wilshere, RvP that doesn't mean they should all still be starting

Even the senile one has come out today and said Ozil's in a 'comfort zone' and he was the daft prick who agreed the contract ....

Good post. That should kill all arguments. Even if we just focused on Arsenal, Ozil has only ever topped the list twice out of five seasons.

I’m glad they’ve also started to distinguish between ‘chances created’ and ‘big chances created’. First time I heard someone quote the chance creation stat was when Liverpool bought Stuart Downing because he was high up the charts at the time.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Wenger is right about players not being motivated of course. If you've got £50M in the bank it's probably a little difficult to take defensive drills on a wet Tuesday morning seriously

I think one solution could be contracts with a greater emphasis on performance..... a lower basic salary but with bonuses for not only goals, but assists, team clean sheets, kilometres run, pass completion etc etc
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm

I think contracts are swaying away from basic pay to incentive pay. I don’t have any idea as to who’s on one but I’m sure it’s becoming a more prelavent thing
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Sims wrote:I’ve watched the whole thing. It wasn’t attributed to Ozil, it was just a generic quote about how some players get into a comfort zone but there are different cases

His 15 min interview is well worth a watch, excellent viewing

Then why is the Independent and a raft of media outlets all leading with this headline?

"Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes the decision to offer Mesut Ozil a long-term contract last year may have left the German in a "comfort zone"."

Because if what you say is true and his comments were not about Ozil then this is disgraceful journalism and these w*nkers should be libel for stuff like this.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm

It's clear from the quotes he is talking about Ozil if you read the Independent article
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby swider » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

UFGN wrote:Wenger is right about players not being motivated of course. If you've got £50M in the bank it's probably a little difficult to take defensive drills on a wet Tuesday morning seriously

I think one solution could be contracts with a greater emphasis on performance..... a lower basic salary but with bonuses for not only goals, but assists, team clean sheets, kilometres run, pass completion etc etc

Or add an option in a contract where your wages can be lowered in case you are not playing certain number of games. I actually think there might be a similar clause in Ozil contract, either his wages can go down or he would have to accept transfer to another club if he doesn't play enough matches.
swider
Michael Thomas

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:11 pm

swider wrote:
UFGN wrote:Wenger is right about players not being motivated of course. If you've got £50M in the bank it's probably a little difficult to take defensive drills on a wet Tuesday morning seriously

Or add an option in a contract where your wages can be lowered in case you are not playing certain number of games. I actually think there might be a similar clause in Ozil contract, either his wages can go down or he would have to accept transfer to another club if he doesn't play enough matches.

You can't do that. It makes constructive dismissal far too easy and the contract would never stand up in court or at tribunal

UFGN

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:17 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:I’ve watched the whole thing. It wasn’t attributed to Ozil, it was just a generic quote about how some players get into a comfort zone but there are different cases

His 15 min interview is well worth a watch, excellent viewing

Then why is the Independent and a raft of media outlets all leading with this headline?

"Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes the decision to offer Mesut Ozil a long-term contract last year may have left the German in a "comfort zone"."

Because if what you say is true and his comments were not about Ozil then this is disgraceful journalism and these w*nkers should be libel for stuff like this.

The question was initially about Özil directly but not once did Wenger name him as being in a comfort zone

He just alluded to the fact that players on big contracts can become comfortable

He later described Ozil as pretty much a £100m player, and that’s how much it’ll cost to replace someone of his quality
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Here's the bit on Ozil:

“He has a contract but the problem is that, if you want to buy a player like him, you have to spend £100m. And to maintain the value of the player, beyond the Özil case, it is more about the way football is structured.

“To buy players of top, top quality you need £100m. So the decision you have to make is whether you re-sign the player, who costs us nothing, or do we have the money to buy a new player?”

From The Guardian

His general quote was:

"I feel that the length of the contract has nothing to do normally with the selection of the team. But sometimes there are special cases," Wenger said.

"Most of the time now we think when we sign a player for five years we have a good player for five years. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they practice, they play their best. Because they might be in their comfort zone.

Sky
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:00 pm

He always over exaggerated things, 100m to replace ozil and he says this stuff seriously
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Pudpop wrote:A few examples of you misusing or misunderstanding statistics from a cursory search through your posts:

Posting irrelevant scoring rates for Aguero giving no information towards arguing against the point you're talking about

Completely lacking understanding of the concept of exposure and how to logically evaluate your own claim

Purposefully not showing full statistics while knowing that Eriksen has played far more minutes than Ozil, as you yourself constantly point out due to Ozil's 'phoning in sick'.

Hilariously misunderstanding the concept of extrapolation to the point where you posted stats backing up the extrapolation performed.

In general on this forum I've stopped bothering with people misusing statistics because explaining where people go wrong just ends in people discarding the validity of statistics as a whole. It's a pointless exercise. But you are someone who constantly calls on stats to back up his posts, but continuously shows no regard for objectively evaluating them and then aggressively insulting other people when they correct you. I wouldn't have bothered if it were anyone else, but the sheer audacity that you had to post that sarcastic drivel after ghosting on UFGN and myself after we called you out for completely misquoting statistics meant that I couldn't let it go. You have absolutely no right to claim any authority on how statistics should be used, and you've made an art form of proving this fact over and over again.

No doubt you've already warmed up your custom-made bold and italics buttons getting ready to comb through everything I've said and post an annoyingly long post with terrible formatting, but please don't bother. I won't read it. In general I've avoided this thread because people like you with immovable agendas have turned this into a cancerous shouting match instead of a discussion, and after this I'll be taking great pleasure in never visiting the thread again. So don't bother. Just write another post baselessly claiming that Ozil has been calling in sick. It'll be easier for everyone else to ignore it.

Just more of your meaningless drivel ... all the statistics you refer to are correct ... maybe you just don't understand them?

When you start saying "I won't read it" "immovable agendas" "cancerous shouting match" you've clearly got no real argument ...take your own advice stay off the thread ... you certainly won't be missed.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Pudpop wrote:A few examples of you misusing or misunderstanding statistics from a cursory search through your posts:

Posting irrelevant scoring rates for Aguero giving no information towards arguing against the point you're talking about

Completely lacking understanding of the concept of exposure and how to logically evaluate your own claim

Purposefully not showing full statistics while knowing that Eriksen has played far more minutes than Ozil, as you yourself constantly point out due to Ozil's 'phoning in sick'.

Hilariously misunderstanding the concept of extrapolation to the point where you posted stats backing up the extrapolation performed.

In general on this forum I've stopped bothering with people misusing statistics because explaining where people go wrong just ends in people discarding the validity of statistics as a whole. It's a pointless exercise. But you are someone who constantly calls on stats to back up his posts, but continuously shows no regard for objectively evaluating them and then aggressively insulting other people when they correct you. I wouldn't have bothered if it were anyone else, but the sheer audacity that you had to post that sarcastic drivel after ghosting on UFGN and myself after we called you out for completely misquoting statistics meant that I couldn't let it go. You have absolutely no right to claim any authority on how statistics should be used, and you've made an art form of proving this fact over and over again.

No doubt you've already warmed up your custom-made bold and italics buttons getting ready to comb through everything I've said and post an annoyingly long post with terrible formatting, but please don't bother. I won't read it. In general I've avoided this thread because people like you with immovable agendas have turned this into a cancerous shouting match instead of a discussion, and after this I'll be taking great pleasure in never visiting the thread again. So don't bother. Just write another post baselessly claiming that Ozil has been calling in sick. It'll be easier for everyone else to ignore it.

Just more of your meaningless drivel ... all the statistics you refer to are correct ... maybe you just don't understand them?

When you start saying "I won't read it" "immovable agendas" "cancerous shouting match" you've clearly got no real argument ...take your own advice stay off the thread ... you certainly won't be missed.

The figures you quoted re the economy don't say what you said they do. You ignored multiple chances from both me and Pudpop to retract. You ran away.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club