The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Stats are only relevant when viewed in context ... so here's a few out of context stats for you

The player with the highest number of passes per gamer for Arsenal is Xhaka with 79.3 ... so here's a question for the Ozil fans

If Ozil is the best creative player because he creates the most chances, does it follow that Xhaka is the best distributor because he makes the most passes per game? or that Elneny is our best defender because he makes the most tackles per game? or Mkhi is our best striker as he has the most shots per game from outside the box?

Does picking one statistic and then taking it out of context actually mean feck all? Interested to hear your thoughts ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 pm

:hail:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pudpop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 am

EliteKiller wrote:Stats are only relevant when viewed in context ... so here's a few out of context stats for you

The player with the highest number of passes per gamer for Arsenal is Xhaka with 79.3 ... so here's a question for the Ozil fans

If Ozil is the best creative player because he creates the most chances, does it follow that Xhaka is the best distributor because he makes the most passes per game? or that Elneny is our best defender because he makes the most tackles per game? or Mkhi is our best striker as he has the most shots per game from outside the box?

Does picking one statistic and then taking it out of context actually mean feck all? Interested to hear your thoughts ......

Nah mate. You of all people don't get to try and lecture others on the proper use of statistics. You yourself have never grasped the simple concept of minutes vs games, let alone understanding context.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:28 am

Pudpop wrote:Nah mate. You of all people don't get to try and lecture others on the proper use of statistics. You yourself have never grasped the simple concept of minutes vs games, let alone understanding context.

Yet another of your totally meaningless posts ... what stats that I posted were wrong? when did I misuse minutes versus games? What context are you referring to? basically what the feck are you talking about .... yet another post of words with no meaning is that now your specialty?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:I don't put stock into that stat regardless of who it applies to, it's a bullshit criteria that completely ignores context.

Granted but it applies to EVERY person so its an entirely fair metric.

The fairness of the metric isn't my concern, I'm not arguing that.

I'm just saying it's a shit metric.

Lets clear this up, why is it a shit metric?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 am

EliteKiller wrote:Stats are only relevant when viewed in context ... so here's a few out of context stats for you

This is exactly the reason why I have said on numerous occasions that stats should be used to back up a point but on their own they don't necessarily paint the whole picture. There is no need for me go through your post in response.

Please tell me what context is missing with the chances created stat. Now is your opportunity to educate us on the proper use of stats.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 am

According to Opta, a "chance created" is an Assist plus a Key Pass.

A Key Pass according to Opta is the final pass or a pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having a shot on goal without scoring.

So in plain view, a "chance created" captures info that an assist alone doesn't, it captures those chances created by a player for another player to have a shot on goal that did not result in a goal being scored.

Now, how many of us thought a chance created meant anything other than the above? It sounds like common sense and is very logical. Basically the last pass that results in a shot on goal whether it is scored or not.

Now, Ozil's teammates don't tend to go on mazey runs and score and neither do they take many long shots - which had been a common complaint about Arsenal, trying to walk the ball into the net. So its fair to say that Ozil's chances created tend to be proper chances created, not some wonder goal.

Why is this important? Ozil creates chances that his teammates miss. Not Ozil's fault. You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink.

And to reiterate a point, this same stat applies to Eriksen, Silva, KDB etc, any pass they make that results in a shot on goal is a chance created, yet Ozil has created more than anyone else.

But but but ....
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:15 am

You can dress up Xhaka's passing stats, lots of 5-10yd passes and passes backwards etc.

But you cannot dress up the fact that Ozil makes the final pass before a shot on goal. How do you make that into more than what it actually is, the final pass before a shot on goal. It is clear and cannot be interpreted in any other way at Arsenal, given the style of football we have played under Wenger.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:26 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Nah mate. You of all people don't get to try and lecture others on the proper use of statistics. You yourself have never grasped the simple concept of minutes vs games, let alone understanding context.

Yet another of your totally meaningless posts ... what stats that I posted were wrong? when did I misuse minutes versus games? What context are you referring to? basically what the feck are you talking about .... yet another post of words with no meaning is that now your specialty?

A few examples of you misusing or misunderstanding statistics from a cursory search through your posts:

Posting irrelevant scoring rates for Aguero giving no information towards arguing against the point you're talking about

Completely lacking understanding of the concept of exposure and how to logically evaluate your own claim

Purposefully not showing full statistics while knowing that Eriksen has played far more minutes than Ozil, as you yourself constantly point out due to Ozil's 'phoning in sick'.

Hilariously misunderstanding the concept of extrapolation to the point where you posted stats backing up the extrapolation performed.

In general on this forum I've stopped bothering with people misusing statistics because explaining where people go wrong just ends in people discarding the validity of statistics as a whole. It's a pointless exercise. But you are someone who constantly calls on stats to back up his posts, but continuously shows no regard for objectively evaluating them and then aggressively insulting other people when they correct you. I wouldn't have bothered if it were anyone else, but the sheer audacity that you had to post that sarcastic drivel after ghosting on UFGN and myself after we called you out for completely misquoting statistics meant that I couldn't let it go. You have absolutely no right to claim any authority on how statistics should be used, and you've made an art form of proving this fact over and over again.

No doubt you've already warmed up your custom-made bold and italics buttons getting ready to comb through everything I've said and post an annoyingly long post with terrible formatting, but please don't bother. I won't read it. In general I've avoided this thread because people like you with immovable agendas have turned this into a cancerous shouting match instead of a discussion, and after this I'll be taking great pleasure in never visiting the thread again. So don't bother. Just write another post baselessly claiming that Ozil has been calling in sick. It'll be easier for everyone else to ignore it.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 am

theHotHead wrote:According to Opta, a "chance created" is an Assist plus a Key Pass.

A Key Pass according to Opta is the final pass or a pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having a shot on goal without scoring.

So in plain view, a "chance created" captures info that an assist alone doesn't, it captures those chances created by a player for another player to have a shot on goal that did not result in a goal being scored.

Now, how many of us thought a chance created meant anything other than the above? It sounds like common sense and is very logical. Basically the last pass that results in a shot on goal whether it is scored or not.

Now, Ozil's teammates don't tend to go on mazey runs and score and neither do they take many long shots - which had been a common complaint about Arsenal, trying to walk the ball into the net. So its fair to say that Ozil's chances created tend to be proper chances created, not some wonder goal.

Why is this important? Ozil creates chances that his teammates miss. Not Ozil's fault. You can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink.

And to reiterate a point, this same stat applies to Eriksen, Silva, KDB etc, any pass they make that results in a shot on goal is a chance created, yet Ozil has created more than anyone else.

But but but ....

Ozil has created more than anyone else

is that only if you measure before 2016? or is it only if you count games against a team with a P in the name? In fact what measurement are you making this up from ... and frankly why do we care ... what matters is the here and now

So your Ozil love in is all very interesting ... to support it please post this seasons 'chances created' statistic, alongside assists and goals scored ... let's see where Ozil currently stands ... use any site you wish just remember to reference it ....

You could try https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created - by the way Ozil has not created more than anyone else in fact he's ranked 116th ....

If you can find any site where he's in the top fifty either by games played, minutes played, or any other comparative measurement you want then I'll be very surprised.

And look if this season isn't to your liking because the poor little flower has been a bit poorly, then try last season, but before you start I'll give you a clue it was KdB who created more chances than anyone else, but you go ahead and prove me wrong ......

All this Ozil was great five years ago is meaningless ... so was Cech, Kos, Wilshere, RvP that doesn't mean they should all still be starting

Even the senile one has come out today and said Ozil's in a 'comfort zone' and he was the daft prick who agreed the contract ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 am

eLitekiLLer
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 am

Well if anyone was pumping up Wenger because they thought he was down with Ozil, read his comments.

Basically saying he feels Ozil isn't trying like he should be because he got a cushty contract.

"Most of the time now we think when we sign a player for five years we have a good player for five years. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that they practise, they play their best. Because they might be in their comfort zone."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-14018779
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:18 am

I’ve watched the whole thing. It wasn’t attributed to Ozil, it was just a generic quote about how some players get into a comfort zone but there are different cases

His 15 min interview is well worth a watch, excellent viewing
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Heard enough of his garbage when he was in charge. Don't have to anymore.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ESR10 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am

Ach wrote:Heard enough of his garbage when he was in charge. Don't have to anymore.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club