The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 am

swipe right wrote:Fair enough. Then swap Pepe with Saka. Laca tracks back so that leaves Auba and Ozil as free. I agree with your point about top sides having three combative midfields and that is what we should be working towards. But we aren’t there yet. With the exception of Xhaka and Partey, we don’t have that third quality midfielder.

Agree 100% ... we are using Ceballos (who isn't even ours) and that might see us through this season playing Partey / Xhaka / Ceballos and having Elneny, Willock, AMN as back ups, however in January or at worst next summer we need to replace Ceballos (who will be gone anyway) with a quality third midfield player - Grealish would have been good, more likely someone from Europe, Houssem Aouar was a huge miss this summer doubt we will be in with a chance of signing that level unless we get in the CL this season.

With so many players running down contracts we need this season to be a good one, either that or Kronke digs deep and I'm not betting on that happening.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Fair enough. Then swap Pepe with Saka. Laca tracks back so that leaves Auba and Ozil as free. I agree with your point about top sides having three combative midfields and that is what we should be working towards. But we aren’t there yet. With the exception of Xhaka and Partey, we don’t have that third quality midfielder.

Agree 100% ... we are using Ceballos (who isn't even ours) and that might see us through this season playing Partey / Xhaka / Ceballos and having Elneny, Willock, AMN as back ups, however in January or at worst next summer we need to replace Ceballos (who will be gone anyway) with a quality third midfield player - Grealish would have been good, more likely someone from Europe, Houssem Aouar was a huge miss this summer doubt we will be in with a chance of signing that level unless we get in the CL this season.

With so many players running down contracts we need this season to be a good one, either that or Kronke digs deep and I'm not betting on that happening.

Check out Sassuolo’s Hamed Junior Traore.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 am

EliteKiller wrote:

I think Saka may be the player that will play as an 8 in a 4-3-3. Was having a conversation the other day about the City game and it bought to my attention that we actually played a 4-3-3. Saka, Xhaka and Ceballos were the three in the middle and it was quite flat.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Partey and if we see more of this formation tonight.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:46 am

People simply have carved the Ozil bad narrative and don't want to get into any other discussion that doesn't involve slating Ozil.

We have 10 defenders in our 25-man squad. 6 of them are CBs alone. Saliba is the 7th one. He doesn't need to be registered.

In contrast, we have 4 CMs in the squad: Xhaka, Thomas, Elneny, and Ceballos.

Saliba is eligible to play and doesn't have to be registered. Hence, we could easily drop Mari to accommodate Ozil if we really wanted to.

It's a stupid situation that shouldn't be defended just because the subject of the discussion is someone most Gooners seem to dislike.

Between the Ozil saga, Gunnersaurus' lay-off, and the 55 redundancies in the lockdown, Arsenal haven't basked themselves in glory. There's a clear financial element and power play to this decision.

For a moment, let's accept that Mikel thinks Ozil isn't good enough to make it into the Prem squad. What about the Europa League squad? Why isn't he part of that conversation? He could easily play for us in the EL. He's not that bad to be shunned like this.

I'd accept it if people wanted Ozil to leave due to his wages and his decline as a player. But you lot could simply accept that this decision isn't based on his skills and ability alone. It's a political one.

We have had other such issues too: the situation with Saliba and the Guendouzi incident. We loaned out Torreira for no fee. We spent an exorbitant £120+m for Mari, Soares, Luiz, and Willian this year alone.

There seems to be management problems at Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 am

People simply have carved the Ozil bad narrative and don't want to get into any other discussion that doesn't involve slating Ozil

Very far from the truth. We've had that discussion before.

Mourinho, Ancelotti, Wenger, Emery and now Arteta have all expressed a similar sentiment about Ozil. They can't all be idiots. The situation that played out with the German national team seems to now be playing out at Arsenal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 am

Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I think Saka may be the player that will play as an 8 in a 4-3-3. Was having a conversation the other day about the City game and it bought to my attention that we actually played a 4-3-3. Saka, Xhaka and Ceballos were the three in the middle and it was quite flat.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Partey and if we see more of this formation tonight.

Saka is too light for that role. You need more power nowadays in the central position. I think they’ll try to shape him into a Sterling type of player.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 am

UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:Wait, is jayram accusing UFGN of being Wenger In?

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

Clearly a nine year long diatribe centred around a 3,000 page thread entitled "WENGER OUT" in capital letters didnt make my position clear enough

Must try harder

I've claimed for years that you were a brainwashed Wenger apologist and I'm glad to see brother jayram remind the fine folks of Goonersworld what are fool you were. Clearly you've still not been able to let go.

My bad. I was scared of change. I see the error or my ways thanks to Jayram. I'm very grateful

You're welcome.
Clearly having initially thought the man a God - your words - and your crying over my signature, you still had some Daddy Wenger issues as one poster put it, so I am happy to help you out.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:42 am

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Saka is too light for that role. You need more power nowadays in the central position. I think they’ll try to shape him into a Sterling type of player.

Out of the majority of new young players we have, I think Saka is the one with the best balance for that role. Much stronger and able to ride a challenge. We'll see where he ends up because he's a player that can play multiple roles and on Saturday he was our best player so that's a good sign for him considering the opposition. He
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CaptGooner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:49 am

Seen a graphic that showed our key chances/assists per game were less with Ozil in the squad than without last season. Any stat masters that can validate or deny?
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Clearly a nine year long diatribe centred around a 3,000 page thread entitled "WENGER OUT" in capital letters didnt make my position clear enough

Must try harder

I've claimed for years that you were a brainwashed Wenger apologist and I'm glad to see brother jayram remind the fine folks of Goonersworld what are fool you were. Clearly you've still not been able to let go.

My bad. I was scared of change. I see the error or my ways thanks to Jayram. I'm very grateful

You're welcome.
Clearly having initially thought the man a God - your words - and your crying over my signature, you still had some Daddy Wenger issues as one poster put it, so I am happy to help you out.

Jayram, you cant recover from the stupidity of what you did yesterday, not now, not ever. Dont even bother trying to save face, you are only making it worse. Its like watching an arthritic old dog trying to lick its arse
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Angelito wrote:People simply have carved the Ozil bad narrative and don't want to get into any other discussion that doesn't involve slating Ozil.

We have 10 defenders in our 25-man squad. 6 of them are CBs alone. Saliba is the 7th one. He doesn't need to be registered.

In contrast, we have 4 CMs in the squad: Xhaka, Thomas, Elneny, and Ceballos.

Saliba is eligible to play and doesn't have to be registered. Hence, we could easily drop Mari to accommodate Ozil if we really wanted to.

It's a stupid situation that shouldn't be defended just because the subject of the discussion is someone most Gooners seem to dislike.

Between the Ozil saga, Gunnersaurus' lay-off, and the 55 redundancies in the lockdown, Arsenal haven't basked themselves in glory. There's a clear financial element and power play to this decision.

For a moment, let's accept that Mikel thinks Ozil isn't good enough to make it into the Prem squad. What about the Europa League squad? Why isn't he part of that conversation? He could easily play for us in the EL. He's not that bad to be shunned like this.

I'd accept it if people wanted Ozil to leave due to his wages and his decline as a player. But you lot could simply accept that this decision isn't based on his skills and ability alone. It's a political one.

We have had other such issues too: the situation with Saliba and the Guendouzi incident. We loaned out Torreira for no fee. We spent an exorbitant £120+m for Mari, Soares, Luiz, and Willian this year alone.

There seems to be management problems at Arsenal.

Ma mannn Ang :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Why do Ozil Outers not understand, we are not defending Ozil. We are saying we don’t have alternatives for him in a very critical position at the club presently. The current CMs are Xhaka, Thomas, Elneny, and Ceballos. How can this decision be a footballing one?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Must try harder

You're welcome.

Jayram, you cant recover from the stupidity of what you did yesterday, not now, not ever. Dont even bother trying to save face, you are only making it worse. Its like watching an arthritic old dog trying to lick its arse

Jesus H C, are you still crying? I thought I had helped you get over your Daddy Wenger issues.
You're the one that started your whining about my sig.
Seems to me you thought Daddy Wenger was God (your actual description of him) and then Daddy Wenger upset you, but you still can't accept others criticising your Daddy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Must try harder

You're welcome.

Jesus H C, are you still crying? I thought I had helped you get over your Daddy Wenger issues.
Seems to me you thought Daddy Wenger was God (your actual description of him) and then Daddy Wenger upset you, but you still can't accept others criticising your Daddy.

I love how youre trying to recover an unrecoverable position with a childish attempt to troll this forum's most well-known, ardent and long-term Wenger Out advocate about, of all things, Wenger. I mean, I know youre a silly man and a worthless troll, but this is beyond silly. Ive never seen such scenes :rofll:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Must try harder

You're welcome.

I love how youre trying to recover an unrecoverable position with a childish attempt to troll this forum's most well-known, ardent and long-term Wenger Out advocate about, of all things, Wenger. I mean, I know youre a silly man and a worthless troll, but this is beyond silly. Ive never seen such scenes :rofll:

Not trying to do anything, fella - just pointing out that you felt the need to cry about my signature to Santi.
Why you were crying is your business - I just know you actually called Wenger a God.
Seems you subsequently had a fall from your religion - but really not interested in knowing that much about you as you seem to spend all your time insulting people and then accusing them of being trolls when they laugh at you.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club