The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gamechannel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 am

theHotHead wrote:Imagine thinking Ozil in the team is worse than Ozil out of the team Let that sink in. Our attacking impetus is poor so leaving our best creative player out of the team is the best solution to the problem LOOOOOOL

Well, the club obviously want him gone even if is to the detriment of the team. Anything to get that 350k back so they can give Mustafi, Kola and Laca new deals. They obviously think that is money well spent lol.

This club: We want Ozil gone so we can invest his wages towards improving the squad.

Also this club: Lets give Luiz, Mari and Soares new long term deals. Mustafi, Kola and Laca next.

Clearly, Ozil's wages are not the problem if the club continues to bid against itself on Mari, Soares and Luiz. They had no suitors lining up for them but our club thought otherwise.

I'd get it if they used his wages to actually get an upgrade over him but they're actually using the money towards renewing the crap we already have. The insanity is mind boggling!
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby hs6bx » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am

theHotHead wrote:Imagine thinking Ozil in the team is worse than Ozil out of the team Let that sink in. Our attacking impetus is poor so leaving our best creative player out of the team is the best solution to the problem LOOOOOOL

But it is worse having him in the team. You sacrifice too much for the opportunity for him to create a couple of chances. An average team (like the current arsenal one), can’t get away with passengers and expect to win games. We don’t have enough possession in games to get away with a luxury like Ozil. I say “luxury” - even that is a massive overstatement. Tear up his contract now in order to get the poisonous toad out the door
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gamechannel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am

hs6bx wrote:

But it is worse having him in the team. You sacrifice too much for the opportunity for him to create a couple of chances. An average team (like the current arsenal one), can’t get away with passengers and expect to win games. We don’t have enough possession in games to get away with a luxury like Ozil. I say “luxury” - even that is a massive overstatement. Tear up his contract now in order to get the poisonous toad out the door

I dont quite get your logic. What are we gaining by playing other crap in his place? You think Pepe is not a passenger? Or Willock? Or Laca? How is Ozil significantly worse than any of these guys when it comes to keeping possession or putting in a shift as you have alluded to?
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am

^ Burnley has won more matches than we have this season and we're tied with them on points.

Whatever this statement-sending mechanical device is supposed to be doing, I'm not receiving that end of the signal.

If you drop your star player, you don't end up losing more games than before whilst playing an inferior brand of football, and live to tell the tale. That's now how, "sending a message," works.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby hs6bx » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:57 am

theHotHead wrote:
I dont quite get your logic. What are we gaining by playing other crap in his place? You think Pepe is not a passenger? Or Willock? Or Laca? How is Ozil significantly worse than any of these guys when it comes to keeping possession or putting in a shift as you have alluded to?

We aren’t playing them in his place. They play in different positions. And if you don’t think Lacazette puts a shift in then I’m not sure what you’re watching pal? I’ve got no issue with you calling out Pepe because he has been average at best... but he has still returned a lot more than Ozil this season in terms of goals and assists... which is supposedly what a lazy / luxury player like Ozil is supposed to be on the pitch for. Let’s face it he doesn’t offer much else.

You seem to think his reputation of being a decent player 5/6 years ago will transfer on to the pitch this season when he has proved over the last 4 years he’s not up to it... not even close, despite being given multiple opportunities. Any fan who understands football can clearly see that.

And if Ozil is the player you seem to think he is there will be clubs queuing up to sign him in the transfer window because he’s clearly not in arteta’s plans... I sincerely doubt there is a club on the planet stupid enough to sign him even at half his wages.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:10 am

hs6bx wrote:

Tear up his contract? How would we do that, pal?
Additionally, we look better with Ozil in the team. Midfield links better, we retain possession better, we work the ball to flanks better.
Do we look great? No. There is a shred of truth in your statement in that Ozil will not look great in any team that is not complemented with other top players. He's always been like that. But in the right team, he's the best there is in his position.
Sure we have a rubbish team and are not going to get the best out of Ozil, but he STILL does a better job than those replacing him right now.

Freezing him out completely and not even having him on the bench is a dumb and self-destructive move by Arteta.
Yesterday is a prime example - we actually had lots of possession. We were afwul at breaking down Spurs' defence. Ozil would have been perfect for that game.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby gooney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am

We dont look better with him in the team. We actually look worse imo. He is not needed
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby hs6bx » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 am

jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:

Additionally, we look better with Ozil in the team. Midfield links better, we retain possession better, we work the ball to flanks better.
Do we look great? No. There is a shred of truth in your statement in that Ozil will not look great in any team that is not complemented with other top players. He's always been like that. But in the right team, he's the best there is in his position.
Sure we have a rubbish team and are not going to get the best out of Ozil, but he STILL does a better job than those replacing him right now.

Freezing him out completely and not even having him on the bench is a dumb and self-destructive move by Arteta.
Yesterday is a prime example - we actually had lots of possession. We were afwul at breaking down Spurs' defence. Ozil would have been perfect for that game.

I’m sorry pal, but there’s been issues with him under every manager. You can’t keep blaming the manager. There’s no smoke without fire. Then you look at the issues with him for Germany and what Mourinho has said about him when at Madrid. I’m not saying he isn’t talented. But if talent was all that mattered then Ravel Morrison would be playing at a top club.

In terms of saying we are better with Ozil in the team we will have to agree to disagree. For me football players earn their stripes with an overall contribution to the game over 90 mins. He’s built a reputation based on being a provider and he hasn’t done that very well for a few seasons. Terrible off the ball, constantly moans at team mates. He would be better in a team that has a lot of possession but football has changed. If he was one of the best in his position then why aren’t Liverpool, City, Barca, Juve, Bayern queuing up to sign him? Let’s face it, he’s available!
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 pm

hs6bx wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
hs6bx wrote:

I’m sorry pal, but there’s been issues with him under every manager. You can’t keep blaming the manager. There’s no smoke without fire. Then you look at the issues with him for Germany and what Mourinho has said about him when at Madrid. I’m not saying he isn’t talented. But if talent was all that mattered then Ravel Morrison would be playing at a top club.

In terms of saying we are better with Ozil in the team we will have to agree to disagree. For me football players earn their stripes with an overall contribution to the game over 90 mins. He’s built a reputation based on being a provider and he hasn’t done that very well for a few seasons. Terrible off the ball, constantly moans at team mates. He would be better in a team that has a lot of possession but football has changed. If he was one of the best in his position then why aren’t Liverpool, City, Barca, Juve, Bayern queuing up to sign him? Let’s face it, he’s available!

You are not basing your view on reality.
It's only been 2 seasons - this season and last where his productivity in term of assists and chances created has been low.
That corresponds to him being left out of the team for spells and never being a consistent starter.
Why Emery made the decision to do this is a mystery - Ozil was coming off a great season - I suspect Emery wanted to pander to the noise in the media.
Arteta is making the same mistake.

2013/14 - 9 assists and 4 other big chances created that were missed
2014/15 - 5 assists and 7 other big chances created that were missed
2015/16 - 19 assists and 28 other big chances created that were missed (the best season of all time in the PL for a creative player) -
2016/17 - 9 assists and 9 other big chances created that were missed
2017/18 - 8 assists and 13 other big chances created that were missed
2018/19 - 2 assists and 3 other big chances created that were missed
2019/20 - 2 assists and 1 other big chances created that were missed

The whiners were attacking Ozil WAY before 2018/19 season - at the time they were saying his stats were not important.
NOW apparently it's all about the stats.

Truth is, his problems only started when Emery came along. He's been in and out of the team.
Even now, when he plays we look far more controlled in midfield. His stats, even from 2013-2018 were not the only part of his game that helped us out. He is one of the best in the team at finding space, working hard off the ball to provide options to teammates.

What happened is our team went down the drain and rather silly fans looked for a scapegoat and lasered in on the fact that Ozil can't tackle back.
It's like a Forumla One fan complaining that the cars don't get enough MPG.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:10 pm

hs6bx wrote:

Mate, you don't drop one of the only 2 world class players you have because you pick a system that doesnt get the best out of him. And not only does that system not get the best out of him, the other star player is punted out wide whilst we struggle to create chances and play a brand of football that is dire !

I like Arteta, but his first job is to give the team better shape and discipline to stop conceding goals. None of that involves Ozil. the next task is to find a solution that gets the best out of your players. If Arteta sticks to what he is doing he is CATEGORICALLY NOT getting the best out of our players because he is picking systems that suits nobody at all.

FFS, there is a reason why almost every player looks out of form, it can't be all of the players are out of form, it is more likely the system they are being asked to play doesn't suit them. There is a reason the likes of Leicester, Sheffield United and Wolves are ahead of us in the table and look like better teams and it isn't because their players are better, their managers are using a system that suits the players.

Wenger - dufus, possession based sideways football and no form of defensive cohesion whatsoever
Emery - even bigger dufus, lots of sideways possession and even less defensive cohesion. Added suicidal playing out from he back too.
Arteta - dufus (but I reserve judgment, its early days), possession based sideways football, a semblance of defensive cohesion.

All 3 managers persisting with this sideways possession bollox. I want us to go back to mixing up possession with swift counter attacking football.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Well guys this is perfect. If Ozil is class and one of the best players in his position then there will be a queue of clubs ready to sign him this transfer window - agreed? If that isn’t the case then what does that say - either your deluded or everyone else in football is missing something that you clearly see.

Ozil has come under criticism from ex players, pundits, managers... it’s not just the fans. And he isn’t a scape goat for the fact that we are an average side in decline either. I’m just highlighting the fact that he’s one of a number of players who desperately need to be slung out the door.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:49 pm

hs6bx wrote:Well guys this is perfect. If Ozil is class and one of the best players in his position then there will be a queue of clubs ready to sign him this transfer window - agreed? If that isn’t the case then what does that say - either your deluded or everyone else in football is missing something that you clearly see.

Ozil has come under criticism from ex players, pundits, managers... it’s not just the fans. And he isn’t a scape goat for the fact that we are an average side in decline either. I’m just highlighting the fact that he’s one of a number of players who desperately need to be slung out the door.

You are arguing without any substance and in the process creating a straw man.
No one is saying Ozil is perfect.
It is also unreasonable to assume that a player in his 30's earning 350k a week is going to get snapped up my anyone unless he is willing to drop his wages significantly.
Neither of those points have any bearing on whether Ozil is a quality player who is better than any other creative midfielder in our squad.

As for pundits having a go at him - yes, even in 2015 when Ozil had the best year for any creative midfielder in history, pundits were calling him lazy. Why would you listen to pundits or ex-managers? They all have varying views on football. Some pundits and managers were also pointing out why the other pundits / managers were wrong. Would you listen to Tony Pullis and have any respect for his views on a top player?
Punditry is a circus and it's designed for clicks and reaction. Stupid fans eat it up and parrot it.

Fact is, up until 2018 Ozil was one of our stand out players, probably the best.
Since then he has been dropped by new managers - that says more about our new managers than Ozil.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Dejan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:57 pm

hs6bx wrote:Well guys this is perfect. If Ozil is class and one of the best players in his position then there will be a queue of clubs ready to sign him this transfer window - agreed? If that isn’t the case then what does that say - either your deluded or everyone else in football is missing something that you clearly see.

Dont bother mate.

Its 2020, a wopping 4 assists this season and last combined and some people still cant realise the fact that ozil has declined very rapid. Its always someone elses fault.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:14 pm

gamechannel wrote:I could be wrong here but ManU is eating a big chunk of Alexis' wage for playing for someone else. Ozil on the other hand was being asked to move to Fenerbahce permanently and they obviously won't pay him anything close to his current wage. Thats why Ozil wont move. I'm sure if the club chose to eat a big chunk of his salary while sending him on loan, quite a few euro clubs would come knocking.

The Fenerbahce links were rumours only, and Ozil would never have gone because Fener are in deep financial straits anyway. Ozil refused a loan move to PSG in Jan 2019 after Neymar was out for the season: https://en.as.com/en/2019/01/30/footbal ... 33835.html

Inter are paying £175k of Sanchez' £390k wages, which is 45%. It goes to show that clubs are willing to take expensive players on, if they feel they can contribute something.

If we had managed to free up 45% of Ozil's wages for 2 seasons, that would come to £16.2 million, a fortune considering we made a £24m loss last year and won't make Europe at all this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-football
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gamechannel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:56 pm

aniym wrote:
gamechannel wrote:I could be wrong here but ManU is eating a big chunk of Alexis' wage for playing for someone else. Ozil on the other hand was being asked to move to Fenerbahce permanently and they obviously won't pay him anything close to his current wage. Thats why Ozil wont move. I'm sure if the club chose to eat a big chunk of his salary while sending him on loan, quite a few euro clubs would come knocking.

The Fenerbahce links were rumours only, and Ozil would never have gone because Fener are in deep financial straits anyway. Ozil refused a loan move to PSG in Jan 2019 after Neymar was out for the season: https://en.as.com/en/2019/01/30/footbal ... 33835.html

Inter are paying £175k of Sanchez' £390k wages, which is 45%. It goes to show that clubs are willing to take expensive players on, if they feel they can contribute something.

If we had managed to free up 45% of Ozil's wages for 2 seasons, that would come to £16.2 million, a fortune considering we made a £24m loss last year and won't make Europe at all this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-football

And then we go ahead and renew Luiz, Soares and Mari for more money while Mustafi and Kola are next. Three extensions that were completely unnecessary. So I dont buy this whole we could have saved Ozil's wages and got better excuse cuz this idiotic management would comtinue to spend it on extending the current crap we have. Sure, ozil's wage saving would have come in handy if we actually had any desire to upgrade thr squad quality and continue to get rid pf the deadwood. But that doesn't seem like the plan here.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club