The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby HalHartley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 pm

He does one little trick and certain people on here wet their knickers, he had a meh game last night and same for the man u game as well. We played better when he was subbed
HalHartley
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm

HalHartley wrote:He does one little trick and certain people on here wet their knickers, he had a meh game last night and same for the man u game as well. We played better when he was subbed

Not really. We played better than we did in the second half, I'd agree...but our most incisive period came when he was on the pitch in the first 25 mins.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Nuggets wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Didn't Giroud just pull off a similar nutmeg fhat actually ended up with a goal?

You guys need to relax.

Ozil’s was more difficult to do which makes his more special. The angle and weight of the pass needed to be right and he did all that with the back of his heel while both feet were off the ground at the point he made the pass. No debate to be had here ;)

I don't know about that. Giroud's resulted in a goal. How did Ozil's pass end?

Girouds pass was good and deserves credit but saying it’s better than Ozil’s because it ended in a goal and Ozil’s didn’t is like saying a cutback pass by Welbeck that leads to a tap in is better than a Messi defense splitting pass that leads to nothing.

But the object is to score goals, so I would rather have a sloppy pass resulting in a goal anyday.

We all want to see goals but as Angelito said, we were appreciating a moment that not many players can pull off.

Or have we already forgotten about all the assists Ozil has given us
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Didn't Giroud just pull off a similar nutmeg fhat actually ended up with a goal?

You guys need to relax.

Ozil’s was more difficult to do which makes his more special. The angle and weight of the pass needed to be right and he did all that with the back of his heel while both feet were off the ground at the point he made the pass. No debate to be had here ;)

Girouds pass was good and deserves credit but saying it’s better than Ozil’s because it ended in a goal and Ozil’s didn’t is like saying a cutback pass by Welbeck that leads to a tap in is better than a Messi defense splitting pass that leads to nothing.

Don't you think you're slightly over analysing? It's just a backheel. I'm only using Giroud as an example because it's something we see often.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby HalHartley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:03 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
HalHartley wrote:He does one little trick and certain people on here wet their knickers, he had a meh game last night and same for the man u game as well. We played better when he was subbed

Not really. We played better than we did in the second half, I'd agree...but our most incisive period came when he was on the pitch in the first 25 mins.

We could of scored more when miki was on, we were moving the ball around faster and with more confidence , players were getting into better positions. Ozil had a off game, yes he is not responsible for all of our play, that is down to the other ten on the pitch but he never affected the game with the creativity he possess. He did one trick in the game and people are saying he was excellent. get real
HalHartley
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 pm

HalHartley wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We could of scored more when miki was on, we were moving the ball around faster and with more confidence , players were getting into better positions. Ozil had a off game, yes he is not responsible for all of our play, that is down to the other ten on the pitch but he never affected the game with the creativity he possess. He did one trick in the game and people are saying he was excellent. get real

Agreed. Good subs by Emery because we needed that injection of pace and creativity.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

You guys need to relax.

Don't you think you're slightly over analysing? It's just a backheel. I'm only using Giroud as an example because it's something we see often.

I don’t think so. That backheel is more difficult than it looks imo. Trying doing a backheel like that and hit your target, while under that pressure, and without tripping over the ball.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

You guys need to relax.

I don’t think so. That backheel is more difficult than it looks imo. Trying doing a backheel like that and hit your target, while under that pressure, and without tripping over the ball.

Did the backheel actually go Maitland Niles or did it go out of play? What was the result?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

You guys need to relax.

Did the backheel actually go Maitland Niles or did it go out of play? What was the result?

The pass was completed. The Rennes defender in the background of the gif had to make a last ditch tackle to prevent Niles from breaking away
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 am

StLGooner wrote:The man has world class skill, it's hard to deny it. He does things so simply and nonchalantly that it's almost hard to notice what he did and recognize the greatness of it.

Having said that, he doesn't incorporate that into his game consistently enough. Which is why he won't be talked about in the same sentence with the all time greats of the game, and in that lies part of the reason why fans are so torn about him.

I bet you he will be.

When you talk about the greats of the game they don't just include the very best players in the world, they talk about world class players. Players from memory for me that were world class players have always been spoken about. Take players like Robert Jarni, Georghe Hagi, Stoichkov, Robert Prosinecki, Michael Laudrup, Tomas Hassler, Enzo Scifo, etc etc, when you regale certain periods you cannot ignore players of this ilk, if you do then you don't know football, you don't just mention Maradona and Romario.

Because recent history has been dominated by Messi and Ronaldo, doesn't mean there have not been other top world class players that shouldn't get a mention, like Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, Lahm, Xavi and Ozil, etc. Ozil must be included because his numbers were off the charts and so was his vision, ability and his mercurial style.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 am

Losmeister wrote:
LMAO wrote:

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see."

and the backheel that end up in a goal is worth less trhan a backheel that leads to an oppostion odd man rush.. in OzilWorld

Like we have said many times, if Ozil gives someone the ball and they don't do something with it, how is that Ozil's fault. Fact is Ozil sees things few others in world football sees. Deny it all you want, those who have eyes can see.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:01 am

Nuggets wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

You guys need to relax.

But the object is to score goals, so I would rather have a sloppy pass resulting in a goal anyday.

Not when you are discussing outrageous skill. We are not talking about a basic Cruyff turn or some other standard bit of skill
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 am

Giroud doesn't have a move named after him, Ozil does. Nuff said.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 am

A redditor made this.

Very interesting.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Angelito wrote:

A redditor made this.

Very interesting.

Dat company :hiding:

On a different note: Young Fabregas was a monster
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club