The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Özim wrote:
swipe right wrote:Some of you morons need to understand how salary negotiations work. Ozil gets 350k because he sells more merch than the rest of the squad combined.

Well no, Ozil gets 350k because both him and Sanchez were going to walk away for nothing and the club couldn't face the backlash that would have come had that happened, so they gave him 350k, considering his contract was up in the summer he held all the cards.

Not sure about the merchandise these days, maybe a few years ago, but now his stock has fallen massively, Aubameyang I would think is the most popular.

I don’t have the data to back it up but Ozil has probably sold more shirts in his time at the club than any player in Arsenal’s history. He is a true global superstar that bridges the European world and the Muslim world. Even today when he is a fading light in terms of performance his appeal is massive. You see him on any PL of EL poster featuring Arsenal along with Laca and Auba. Player salaries are calculated on how much revenue the club expects to earn through the life of their contract. Gazidis wasn’t a mug to just hand him 350k.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:12 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Again, Ozil would probably be more productive as a CM playing the deep laying Playmaker role. Under Arteta he's been putting in work when it comes to defending and marking so not as much of a liability.

Opposition teams will target him and make life hell for him off the ball if he played CM or especially a DM role. He has no idea how to play in a defensive position. He can't tackle, he has zero strength whatsoever. This is massive for why I'm 100% done with him because if he wasn't such a wuss he'd already be a top quality CM by now with his passing and vision.

He's 31 man, not 25-28 after a few bad injuries. He's been a man 12 years done already.

Pirlo wasn't a powerhouse of course but him like Pjanic are tough enough to put a tackle in, they didn't ever get bullied.

Ozil should want this, Ozil should have been preparing for this change of role to a CM or DM years ago when he knew his dribbling wasn't the same anymore, but this guy Ozil i think has a problem man. He loves himself too much. You can see he's just hanging onto a lifestyle.

This is why i'm so pissed of with the board that they have failed to move him on. It sums up the club in the last decade.

In football 1 thing is true right now. Player power is beyond out of control.

The opposition will target whoever plays a CM. In fact, wherever Ozil plays he's going to be targeted. He's not strong but we don't have strong CM's anyway. Torreira is the most tenacious, Guendouzi tries hard but is still a kid but we're physically weak in that area. What makes it worse is when we have CM's that make poor passing decisions, hide from the ball and can only pass backwards when under pressure. If you've been watching Xhaka recently, you'd have noticed the amount of times he's waited for the opposition to get close to him so he can fall over to try and claim a foul.

We're not going to win a strong man competition with Ozil, but as a CM in a 4-3-3, he may actually help us to play the ball forward. retain possession and move up the pitch. He doesn't attempt to dribble past players anymore but he's still good at avoiding the press with swift turns and quick feet. He's one of the best at finding a player with an accurate pass and I also think he's much better when we're countering teams. He's a player that needs a lot of touches on the ball to have an impact and we need to start getting him into those positions. With Pepe just ahead of him, AMN and Torreira floating around, I think we'd get a lot more out of him.

We're not going to be able to shift and it's obvious the manager will continue to play him so it's about making some use out of him. He's better when he has loads of touches on the ball and in the 10 role it's far to easy for him to get lost or marked out of the game. He shouldn't be allowed to hide in that 10 role. Throw him in the deep end and working.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm

swipe right wrote:
Özim wrote:
swipe right wrote:Some of you morons need to understand how salary negotiations work. Ozil gets 350k because he sells more merch than the rest of the squad combined.

Well no, Ozil gets 350k because both him and Sanchez were going to walk away for nothing and the club couldn't face the backlash that would have come had that happened, so they gave him 350k, considering his contract was up in the summer he held all the cards.

Not sure about the merchandise these days, maybe a few years ago, but now his stock has fallen massively, Aubameyang I would think is the most popular.

I don’t have the data to back it up but Ozil has probably sold more shirts in his time at the club than any player in Arsenal’s history. He is a true global superstar that bridges the European world and the Muslim world. Even today when he is a fading light in terms of performance his appeal is massive. You see him on any PL of EL poster featuring Arsenal along with Laca and Auba. Player salaries are calculated on how much revenue the club expects to earn through the life of their contract. Gazidis wasn’t a mug to just hand him 350k.

Seems you're way off the mark.....again!

Kit deals are not traditional sponsorship deals – they are licensing deals, which enable the kit manufacturers to use the club’s brand to sell branded apparel. Clubs will traditionally receive an annual fee – for example, Manchester United receives £75 million per year from Adidas, Chelsea receives an initial £60 million per year from Nike, and Arsenal receives £30 million per year from Puma – and then 10-15% of the revenue the kit manufacturer generates from shirt sales.

"Furthermore, signing a star player doesn’t lead to as many new kits being sold as one might think. While there will usually be an uptick in shirts sold in the market where the player came from, it is more often the case that those who were already planning on purchasing a shirt will choose to get the new player’s name on the back, rather than an existing player.

The kit deal is often a football club’s most lucrative sponsorship, and for good reason. The manufacturers aren’t paying the clubs to have a tiny logo emblazoned on the front of the club’s shirt – rather, they’re making an investment that will yield an excellent return. As an example, Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer projected that Adidas would earn £1.5 billion from its ten-year, £750 million deal with Manchester United.

Why don’t football clubs simply manufacture their own shirts and keep 100% of the profits? The simple answer is because they’re football clubs, not kit manufacturers. They don’t have the global distribution networks necessary to manufacture, ship, and sell hundreds of thousands, or in some cases, millions of shirts each year. Many clubs even outsource the logistics of their online shops, which are miniscule operations compared to what is required to manufacture, distribute and market kits on a global scale.

"Football clubs don’t have access to these resources. Even the largest football clubs in the world are comparatively tiny businesses when it comes to the likes of Adidas and Nike. To put it in perspective, Nike has earned substantially more in three months (nearly £7 billion for March, April, and May 2017) than Chelsea have earned in its 112-year history."
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm

swipe right wrote:I don’t have the data to back it up but Ozil has probably sold more shirts in his time at the club than any player in Arsenal’s history. He is a true global superstar that bridges the European world and the Muslim world. Even today when he is a fading light in terms of performance his appeal is massive. You see him on any PL of EL poster featuring Arsenal along with Laca and Auba. Player salaries are calculated on how much revenue the club expects to earn through the life of their contract. Gazidis wasn’t a mug to just hand him 350k.

The danger of opening a topic you clearly know very little about ...

In the last decade Arsenal have fallen from 7th to no longer in the top 10 for club kits sold, Ozil has become the only 'big' worldwide name in our squad and whilst he sells the most Arsenal shirts he doesn't feature in the top twenty in Europe anymore. When did Ozil last feature on a FIFA cover? the FIFA 20 promo even takes the piss with it's 'ghost' emoji.

The Adidas kit has given us a boost but Ozil is no longer the huge draw you might think ... one of the issues we have as a club is our lack of marketable 'superstars' it's why our commercial income has lagged so badly behind our rivals.

Sure Ozil sells a few shirts but spend his 350k on a Pogba, Kane, Salah, Hazard and they sell almost double the number of shirts ... Ozil is yesterday's news, however much that hurts you, it happens to even the best players in the end.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 pm

swipe right wrote: Gazidis wasn’t a mug to just hand him 350k.

I'm not sure, Gazidis was terrible, did he even do anything right, his deals were awful and he walked away as soon as he effectively became responsible.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:I don’t have the data to back it up but Ozil has probably sold more shirts in his time at the club than any player in Arsenal’s history. He is a true global superstar that bridges the European world and the Muslim world. Even today when he is a fading light in terms of performance his appeal is massive. You see him on any PL of EL poster featuring Arsenal along with Laca and Auba. Player salaries are calculated on how much revenue the club expects to earn through the life of their contract. Gazidis wasn’t a mug to just hand him 350k.

The danger of opening a topic you clearly know very little about ...

In the last decade Arsenal have fallen from 7th to no longer in the top 10 for club kits sold, Ozil has become the only 'big' worldwide name in our squad and whilst he sells the most Arsenal shirts he doesn't feature in the top twenty in Europe anymore. When did Ozil last feature on a FIFA cover? the FIFA 20 promo even takes the piss with it's 'ghost' emoji.

The Adidas kit has given us a boost but Ozil is no longer the huge draw you might think ... one of the issues we have as a club is our lack of marketable 'superstars' it's why our commercial income has lagged so badly behind our rivals.

Sure Ozil sells a few shirts but spend his 350k on a Pogba, Kane, Salah, Hazard and they sell almost double the number of shirts ... Ozil is yesterday's news, however much that hurts you, it happens to even the best players in the end.

For us right now, Ozil is very much today's news. We simply look better with him in the team. That might hurt YOU, but it is the truth nonetheless.
Until we can replace him with another world class creative midfielder, we'll be aiming to get what we can out of the last few years of his glittering career.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Mike Dean » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Özim wrote:

Ozil still has more marketability than the rest of the team combined.

He is a very popular worldwide.

Part of it has to do with his unique play style. The other part has to do with his marketing team which is really good.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Goonerz wrote:I have actually never understood this catchphrase from the day i first heard it from it’s drafters.

It absolutely makes zero sense. What half decent player wouldn’t look good when surrounded by players better than him?

It is a weird statement. Ain’t that what describes a typical mouthy bully or playground bully? He is only strong and mouthy when surrounded by bigger much older friends of his. But without then he is a coward. “But but i need my stronger mates around me to prove how strong I am.”.

It’s also like saying, “I am intelligent and can only prove it by sitting next to my much more intelligent classmates that will let me copy their answers during Exams. Then I can claim how super intelligent I am.”.

Isn’t it meant to be the other way around?
So called world class players make their teammates better? Aren’t good players supposed to standout from a bunch of poor / average players?

It’s a very weird tilt on reality as we know it.. :dizzy:

It's odd that you don't understand this expression, well used in sport for decades it's not hard to grasp .... let me try and dumb it down for you

There are two players who have the same list of abilities - great touch, great range of passes, great vision - poor aerial, poor tackling, poor pressing

Now here's where they differ and where the expression "needs great team mates" comes from ...

Player A needs time and space to operate, limit both of these and he becomes ineffective, a championship or EL level team can negate his ability to impact the game, as recently demonstrated by Leeds. When the going gets tough he becomes a passenger in the team. Only when the opposition are focused on his teammates does he have the chance to shine.

Player B also needs time and space to operate, limit both of these and he roams all over the pitch demanding the ball and looking to still impact the game (think Messi, Ronaldo, KdB) When the going gets tough he will become the driving force in the team. The more the opposition look to shut him down the more he will shine.

and off course there's one other massive difference ....

When needed player B will score you a goal, when needed player A won't even take the shot ....

The fact is truly world class player end up in a world class teams - Ozil has spent seven years picking up his pay cheque with us - that may hurt to hear but sadly it's also true.

This is not a criticism of Ozil he has played the same way throughout his career, he is the "icing on the cake" player who takes you to another level if you are already a very good side - Germany - RM even 2015 Arsenal when Giroud and Sanchez had their purple patch. The fact is when things get tough the very last type of player you need is a Ozil ... but on 350k a week we simply had no choice.

Can you list me about 3 or 4 so called world class players that only play / played good when surrounded by much better players but are / were so bad when playing with normal / average players?

I am not trying to be annoying but I have never seen such a player in my life. All the attacking midfielders that had / have as much hype as Ozil always stand out from a group of so called average players.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Mike Dean wrote:
Özim wrote:

Ozil still has more marketability than the rest of the team combined.

He is a very popular worldwide.

Part of it has to do with his unique play style. The other part has to do with his marketing team which is really good.

If he offers such great marketability to the Muslim world (where football is already the #1 sport), why haven't we ever had a pre-season tour or exhibition matches in the Gulf countries like other teams have? Those tournaments print cash for the teams involved.

You have to sell a lot of shirts to be worth 17m/yr to a club, especially when said club just lost 23m last year.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 pm

the club gets about 1-5% of shirt sales
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 pm

God he’s been poor the last two seasons but ozil has to feed the likes of Giroud and Walcott and managed about 20 assists. If he had good players back then he’d have banged 30.

Now he’s not as good but still can be useful to our team.

Ain’t hard to grasp.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Sims wrote:the club gets about 1-5% of shirt sales

Exactly, the shirts are a way for the sponsors to recoup their investments, not the club.

It is funny to think that after > 1000 pages of "Ozil is world class", his defenders are finally stooping to the "he's more marketable than everyone else" canard.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:40 pm

X
Last edited by swipe right on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:41 pm

Mesut Ozil massive wages are not a problem he earns every penny
Admin Pat May 25, 2019 115 Comments
It is time for some perspective in regards to the huge wages that Mesut Ozil is paid every week no matter how he performs and I will state up front, he earns every single penny of that massive salary.

Ozil is a brand, his face and name are far better known than any of the other players, you can argue all you want that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette are well known but they are nowhere near to the same degree as what Ozil is.

Let’s take shirt sales, who do you think is the number one Arsenal player when it comes to shirts sold?

Yup, it is Ozil as published last October

1) Mesut Ozil
2) Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
3) Lucas Torreira
4) Alexandre Lacazette
5) Bernd Leno
6) Henrikh Mkhitaryan
7) Granit Xhaka
8) Aaron Ramsey
9) Stephan Lichteiner
10) Matteo Guendouzi

I recall reading about David Beckham being worth a hundred times his wages because of shirt sales and it was reported back in 2013 that his value to clubs was over £1 Billion in shirt and boot sales. Name recognition really matters and just like Beckham, Ozil has the name recognition.

Who have UEFA plastered across their posters to promote the Europa League final, yup, Ozil, in fact, I did initially struggle to find some with Eden Hazard on them or Aubameyang (Yes, of course, I did find some eventually).

When Arsenal tour who is pushed out front and sent to meet and greet dignitaries? Again yes, it is Mesut Ozil.

Who do you think most of the fans want to see play when Arsenal do those money-spinning tours, it is not Mustafi or Xhaka is it?

Ozil may well not be worth the money based on his performances but he is worth so much more to us as a club because of his image, his name, his brand and that cannot be left out of the return on investment when it comes to calculating Ozil’s worth to the club.

Shirt sales, boot sales, merchandise, tours, sponsorship, promotional events, they all make a huge impact on our earnings and at the very centre of that is Mesut Ozil.

You may not rate him anymore, he may not be world class, he may not even deserve his salary based on his displays on the pitch but take it to the bank that he is worth every single penny he earns because of his value to the Arsenal brand
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm

swipe right wrote:X

Your best post ever
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club