The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am

KG3 wrote:

The Ospina part is laughable Szczesny, Emi, Leno and Cech were all clear, although I suppose he didn’t play with Emi last tbf.

When it comes to the left back it should obviously be Donreal/KT, however I understand it’s his best friend at Arsenal who saved him and his GF life, would look bad if he said anyone else.

The rest of team is spot on I suppose, in terms of the best players he played alongside here.

Yeah I dont agree with Ospina and Kola.

Ospina was a disaster.

The rest is clear cut because there really wasn't enough quality after the players he has named.

We weren't City where you could pick between 2 players for each position.

Wenger refused to ad talent.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:58 am

Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

The Ospina part is laughable Szczesny, Emi, Leno and Cech were all clear, although I suppose he didn’t play with Emi last tbf.

When it comes to the left back it should obviously be Donreal/KT, however I understand it’s his best friend at Arsenal who saved him and his GF life, would look bad if he said anyone else.

The rest of team is spot on I suppose, in terms of the best players he played alongside here.

Ospina was a disaster.

The rest is clear cut because there really wasn't enough quality after the players he has named.

Ospina had moments and was our Cup keeper. Ozil last won an FA Cup with him so maybe he's going off that.

Kola is his mate that saved his bacon so I have no problem with that one.

Gnarby is the one that stands out to me. They hardly played a competitive game together.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am

Mike Dean wrote:Arsenal is not going to be able to get rid of him and his contract easily.

His agent is very shrewd, both in terms of dealings and as a spokesman.

He is going to make Arsenal pay the full amount on the contract one way or the other and will want added incentives if Arsenal want him gone 6 months before the contract expires.

Otherwise he will advise Ozil to simply stay put for 6 more months and collect every single penny. And then he can decide where he wants to go next.

If I had to guess it is going to be in US following footsteps of some other declining players that ended their career here. For him it is an added incentive because of the marketing and business opportunities.

He might probably end up making a lot more here than what he has made at Arsenal. He is still very popular worldwide.

Pretty much. I dont see either party backing down.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:29 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

Ospina had moments and was our Cup keeper. Ozil last won an FA Cup with him so maybe he's going off that.

Gnarby is the one that stands out to me. They hardly played a competitive game together.

Özil and gnabry played 6 unbeaten games together at arsenal
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:34 am

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Priorities. Money, money, money.

He is in his 30s, should he not care about the money?

What's the priority? Money or playing football?

However this plays out you'll argue in defence of Ozil despite arguing it wasn't about money in the past but whatever.

I doubt there is a single-player at the top level and over 25 that puts football ahead of money.
The other lesser players I would suspect are more motivated by money also.

That's football these days - money. End of story.

You might like to think otherwise, but to single out a player for criticism over money in this day and age is, frankly, ridiculous.
The entire sport is money motivated.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

Exactly. He's hardly played with him. Surely he's played more games with Iwobi, Ox and Walcott.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am

This thread needs to be renamed “Explaining to idiots how contracts work”.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

Exactly. He's hardly played with him. Surely he's played more games with Iwobi, Ox and Walcott.

Those three players you listed weren’t exactly world class, Ozil played enough with Gnabry to recognise he was going to be world class in the future only Pulis though he was a bad player.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm

KG3 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

Those three players you listed weren’t exactly world class, Ozil played enough with Gnabry to recognise he was going to be world class in the future only Pulis though he was a bad player.

That's a fair point but are Kolasinac or Ospina World Class? Szczesny has gone on to be a better player and that's an obvious snub. Just seems odd to list a youth player that he hardly played with.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

That's a fair point but are Kolasinac or Ospina World Class? Szczesny has gone on to be a better player and that's an obvious snub. Just seems odd to list a youth player that he hardly played with.

Would you leave out the guy who saved you and your girlfriends life? The media would have a field day with that.

The Ospina one is debatable I suppose Szczesny is world class now but at Arsenal he was always capable of dropping a major clanger and shipping a ton of goals in one game (obviously not all his fault)

Whereas Ospina didn’t play as much but most of the time he was reliable but also capable of the odd mistake, didn’t really ship a ton of goals in one game either iirc

Cech was world class his first season, decent in the second and his level dropped the last two seasons.

Leno and Martinez may have been world class for periods but the last 2 years Ozil hasn’t really been in the team playing with them to pick one of them.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:22 pm

KG3 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Ospina was a disaster.

Would you leave out the guy who saved you and your girlfriends life? The media would have a field day with that.

The Ospina one is debatable I suppose Szczesny is world class now but at Arsenal he was always capable of dropping a major clanger and shipping a ton of goals in one game (obviously not all his fault)

Whereas Ospina didn’t play as much but most of the time he was reliable but also capable of the odd mistake, didn’t really ship a ton of goals in one game either iirc

Cech was world class his first season, decent in the second and his level dropped the last two seasons.

Leno and Martinez may have been world class for periods but the last 2 years Ozil hasn’t really been in the team playing with them to pick one of them.

I mentioned Kolasinac and it says a lot about their relationship but some of the snubs also speak volumes.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm

KG3 wrote:

Only odd one out is Donreal. Understandable tho as Ozil is good friends with Kola.

About Ospina, his options are Szczesny, Fabs, Cech, and Leno. Leno's arrival at Arsenal coincided with Emery, so it's not a happy period for Ozil.

It's defo better than Gooners over Reddit/Twitter:

Leno; Sagna, Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney; Ramsey, Xhaka; Saka, ESR, Auba; Giroud.

Being a tad sensationalist but along the lines, none the less. :P

Or, how the sentiment is today, top-5 Gooners of the Ozil era:

1. Leno
2. Saka
3. ESR
4. Ramsey
5. Edu/Arteta

Worst five:

1. Ozil
2. Bellerin
3. Pepe
4. Alexis
5. Willian

:hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Angelito wrote:Only odd one out is Donreal. Understandable tho as Ozil is good friends with Kola.

The Gnabry one is weird too, feel like he's definitely picking him based on his time at Bayern, not when they were together at Arsenal.

Also the fact they're German teammates.

But still, Gnabry :cloud9:

He was my boy from day one and I always said it was a mistake to sell him.

I hate being right.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:Only odd one out is Donreal. Understandable tho as Ozil is good friends with Kola.

The Gnabry one is weird too, feel like he's definitely picking him based on his time at Bayern, not when they were together at Arsenal.

I hate being right.

They were never together for Germany though mate
Probably would have been so for 2018 World Cup but gnabry was injured
starmandb

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 pm

starmandb wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

I hate being right.

They were never together for Germany though mate
Probably would have been so for 2018 World Cup but gnabry was injured

Well they're both German so he probably likes him just for that.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club