The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Goonerz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:18 am

theHotHead wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:And yet nobody can change the fact that, signing Ozil prompted the end of our long chase for silverware. Buying that superstar player was the catalyst to end our trophy drought. all the hate in the world cannot change that signing Ozil brought about a change in our fortunes.

So would it also be fair to say that buying superstar Ozil was catalyst for Arsenal to start being spanked by these scorelines more consistently? 6-3, 6-1, 5-1, 10-2 on aggregate?
Same as him being the catalyst for why we started dropping out of of the Top 2 for the first time in 20 old years?
Or you just love to cherrypick the good about Arsenal and attribute it to ozil while the bad you blame it on our other players, managers and board?
Isn’t it?
It’s like what religious people do. All the good is because of their god and all the bad is because of the wicked human-race.

Can’t just pick and choose what you want.
:biggrin:

Not at all, we were regularly getting whopped by top teams long before Ozil joined us!

The only anomaly i can remember was that 8-2 against United when Cesc / Nasri left that summer and wenger showed his incompetence by waiting till the last days to by players. That is how we ended up with the likes of panic buys like “Andre Santos” etc..

But can you remind me of a time before the Ozil era where being spanked by 6’s and 5’s by the likes of City, Liverpool, chelsea, Bayern on nearly a daily basis was a thing? Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:And yet nobody can change the fact that, signing Ozil prompted the end of our long chase for silverware. Buying that superstar player was the catalyst to end our trophy drought. all the hate in the world cannot change that signing Ozil brought about a change in our fortunes.

So would it also be fair to say that buying superstar Ozil was catalyst for Arsenal to start being spanked by these scorelines more consistently? 6-3, 6-1, 5-1, 10-2 on aggregate?
Same as him being the catalyst for why we started dropping out of of the Top 2 for the first time in 20 old years?
Or you just love to cherrypick the good about Arsenal and attribute it to ozil while the bad you blame it on our other players, managers and board?
Isn’t it?
It’s like what religious people do. All the good is because of their god and all the bad is because of the wicked human-race.

Can’t just pick and choose what you want.
[emoji3]

Not at all, we were regularly getting whopped by top teams long before Ozil joined us!

The only anomaly i can remember was that 8-2 against United when Cesc / Nasri left that summer and wenger showed his incompetence by waiting till the last days to by players. That is how we ended up with the likes of panic buys like “Andre Santos” etc..

But can you remind me of a time before the Ozil era where being spanked by 6’s and 5’s by the likes of City, Liverpool, chelsea, Bayern on nearly a daily basis was a thing? Lol

Great point.

As Hoeness said, Bayern targeted Ozil and played through him as their strategy to smash us.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm

i wish this thread would just self immolate
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Yes, he has become a non entity.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 pm

We had 1000 pages of 'debate' rehashing the same 3-4 things about Ozil when Emery was here. And Emery never even had the luxury of dropping Ozil completely because of how threadbare the midfield was once Ramsey and Mhiki left.

Fortunately with Arteta being a more popular figure, and Saka and Ceballos emerging as a far better fit with our forwards, he appears to now have the authority to dump him completely.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Sadly yes. Had great dreams when he and Sanchez came on board.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 pm

Losmeister wrote:i wish this thread would just self immolate

Personal dislike for the man aside, it's simply Gooners not able to accept that we've been a chaotic mess since that FA Cup win in 2017, and it was Arsenal's decision to hand him that huge contract.

Ozil was amongst the first names on the team sheet under Wenger. That counts for a lot because we're talking about one of the greatest managers of all time. He wasn't dumb.

If Wenger still had the power in 2018, he wouldn't have offered Ozil that contract no matter how deserving Ozil was.

Arsenal bottling it against Leicester isn't down to Ozil, nor is the instability at Arsenal since Wenger's final season.

If he isn't playing anymore, if Arteta refuses to start him, it makes no sense to continue with the gibberish that's become a staple in this thread.

He didn't play in our loss against City, nor did he star in our win against the mighty Wolves.

At this stage, it's a bunch of petty Gooners trying to validate their hatred for the man.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Angelito wrote:
Losmeister wrote:i wish this thread would just self immolate

Personal dislike for the man aside, it's simply Gooners not able to accept that we've been a chaotic mess since that FA Cup win in 2017, and it was Arsenal's decision to hand him that huge contract.

Ozil was amongst the first names on the team sheet under Wenger. That counts for a lot because we're talking about one of the greatest managers of all time. He wasn't dumb.

If Wenger still had the power in 2018, he wouldn't have offered Ozil that contract no matter how deserving Ozil was.

Arsenal bottling it against Leicester isn't down to Ozil, nor is the instability at Arsenal since Wenger's final season.

If he isn't playing anymore, if Arteta refuses to start him, it makes no sense to continue with the gibberish that's become a staple in this thread.

He didn't play in our loss against City, nor did he star in our win against the mighty Wolves.

At this stage, it's a bunch of petty Gooners trying to validate their hatred for the man.

my point is that the thread no longer has a purpose. nothing new really can be added either for or against.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Yup, its just the same old same old tired arguments and defences. Where this argument is different is usually there are 2 extremes, "Ozil is the reason for our demise" and "Ozil can do no wrong". But if people are honest, that second extreme doesn't really exist, nobody has defended Ozil so much as to say he does no wrong. But Ozil can miss a game and we lose and remarkably people will find a way to blame Ozil for the loss.

We know what Ozil is good at, has he been provided the platform to flourish in recent years ? No. Has he been worth even half of the money he earns ? No, would he improve a top team ? Absolutely yes. Are Arsenal a top team ? Hell no. Should we keep Ozil ? At this point he adds very little value to the team if we are unable to play to his strengths and if managers cannot find a system and a formation that provides the platform for him to do his thing.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 pm

One question left
Who here would keep Ozil ?
For me it's a NO
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Losmeister » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 pm

At this point he adds very little value to the team if we are unable to play to his strengths and if managers cannot find a system and a formation that provides the platform for him to do his thing.

so his place iks where the rest of the team is so good that the 10 other players are equal to the oppenents 11, leaving ozil free to receive passes with no one near him and just keep his head up and pass....???
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 am

VCC wrote:One question left
Who here would keep Ozil ?
For me it's a NO

...and me. ;)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Tubbs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:01 pm

I’m going to smash 4 pints of Stella as soon as he goes I can’t wait!
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Yes, he has made himself irrelevant now. Have to admit w/ a heavy heart. Was a favourite of mine once.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:32 pm

there's no question, for anybody, that Ozil was , for a period of time, a very gifted player....

really, its much like Sanchez... then ...it just stopped...and they were no longer that player....
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club