The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 am

Maybe no one wants him.
Ever thought of that?

Big club managers understand football. Wenger screwed himself here
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

HolyCow wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Not sure why he'd want to stay at this point. Unless he just doesn't feel like packing.

His mentality is why.

(1) Ozil was regularly starting at the most accomplished and respected club in the world at Madrid yet when Madrid signed Isco, Ozil immediately wanted a move away. Ozil is certainly better than Isco but it seemed like he feared the competition for a starting spot (Isco was at the time hyped as the next great Spanish midfielder). And if I remember correctly, Ozil or his father even said something about feeling disrespected by Madrid when Isco was signed. Everyone knows that all filthy rich Champions League contenders sign a surplus of top players and there's always competition for spots so it's not like Madrid were actually disrespectful towards Ozil or looking to replace him rather they were just strengthening their squad. Cristiano Ronaldo was publicly angry that Madrid allowed Ozil to leave so it's not like he was pushed out the door.

(2) Ozil was content to move away from the world's greatest club and join Arsenal during the darkest days (when top players were sold every summer). A bizarre move for a player of Ozil's caliber.

(3) Ozil also tends to shrink and under-perform in big matches.

Ozil has incredible talent but he seems to lack the ruthless competitive/fighting spirit of other world class footballers which is why there's a decent chance he'd be content staying at a club with Wenger and Kroenke at the helm. Plus like you said, packing sucks.

I have underlined the utter tosh in your statement ! Stop with the lazy journalism !

If he under-performed in big matches why would the German public vote for him as their national team player of the year 5 times !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm

HolyCow wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Not sure why he'd want to stay at this point. Unless he just doesn't feel like packing.

His mentality is why.

(1) Ozil was regularly starting at the most accomplished and respected club in the world at Madrid yet when Madrid signed Isco, Ozil immediately wanted a move away. Ozil is certainly better than Isco but it seemed like he feared the competition for a starting spot (Isco was at the time hyped as the next great Spanish midfielder). And if I remember correctly, Ozil or his father even said something about feeling disrespected by Madrid when Isco was signed. Everyone knows that all filthy rich Champions League contenders sign a surplus of top players and there's always competition for spots so it's not like Madrid were actually disrespectful towards Ozil or looking to replace him rather they were just strengthening their squad. Cristiano Ronaldo was publicly angry that Madrid allowed Ozil to leave so it's not like he was pushed out the door.

(2) Ozil was content to move away from the world's greatest club and join Arsenal during the darkest days (when top players were sold every summer). A bizarre move for a player of Ozil's caliber.

Ozil has incredible talent but he seems to lack the ruthless competitive/fighting spirit of other world class footballers which is why there's a decent chance he'd be content staying at a club with Wenger and Kroenke at the helm. Plus like you said, packing sucks.

I'll address the bolded part. When Ozil joined, we were spewing the 'New Arsenal' narrative; we painted a picture where we would finally be ready to compete with Europe's elite. We must have sold that narrative to Ozil as well.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm

HolyCow wrote:

His mentality is why.

No one with any football knowledge would take Özil over Isco.

madness
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Mudge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

HolyCow wrote:

His mentality is why.

This is just pure nonsense. You clearly just don't like the guy and are creating a bitter narrative to suit yourself. That and completely ignoring the circumstances around Ozil's transfer, which involved his then father/manager.
Mudge
Michael Thomas

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Everyone in their right mind would take Ozil over most central attacking midfield players in the world. I haven't seen a player who sees killer passes with such ease as Ozil. Unreal. He even managed to excel at Arsenal in spite of Wenger.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 pm

havent seen cesc play then
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Dejan wrote:havent seen cesc play then

I did - looking out of place at Barca and being overshadowed by Xavi, who he was supposed to replace - and ending up playing as Messi's sub as a false #9.

Soz I don't live in 2009.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Stop cooing on Cesc, he's a Chelsea player ffs.

Your love boat has sailed .......... years ago.

For what its worth I think Wenger was a d*ckhead not to take Fabregas back from Barca when he had the chance but there you go, just another reason on a mountain of reasons Wenger needs to fk off.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Cesc is much better than Ozil, you have to be blind not to see it

Watching Cesc play is like having sex, they even sound the same

CESC <3
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Cesc lost his legs, even though he was never blessed with pace,, he was still very mobile and nippy with us, added with his sharp brain he was always a step ahead of markers, he has lost that now, still probably the best all round passer in the world though, short, medium, long has it all in his locker.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Angelito wrote:

I did - looking out of place at Barca and being overshadowed by Xavi, who he was supposed to replace - and ending up playing as Messi's sub as a false #9.

Soz I don't live in 2009.

Bit harsh you will never get the best out of cesc if the team isn't built around him, xavi is xavi of course he will overshadow him with cecs being played out of position.

All things considering he did ok, the fact he could play different psotions and even play as a striker for spain when he really has no business playing there shows how good he is.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:28 pm

barca move absolutely ruined cesc in terms of what level he could reach

for me he was undoubtedly the best am in the world when he left us
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:Cesc is much better than Ozil, you have to be blind not to see it

Watching Cesc play is like having sex, they even sound the same

CESC <3

Not at all.

I think he's a bit more proactive but their passing range is similar but I actually think Ozil's ability is slightly over Cesc.

He has more finesse than Cesc and also Cesc looks a bit of a beaten man after his Barca ordeal, he also looks like he's struggling to be settled at Chelsea, i think deep down he prefer's Arsenal to the Blues.

If Cesc was a sexy as you say he is .......... why could he not cut it at Barca?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

still the best passer in the world
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club