The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Losmeister » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm

StLGooner wrote:The nerve of him to even try to hit the ball into the ground first is just amazing to me. He's damn near perfected it, the cheeky f***er!!

it's a fine technique no doubt about that.

so is putting your laces through it .....which he used to do.

for me its like a panenka. should be in your tool kit if you take pens regularly.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Looks like Emery's management of him is starting to work.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Beautiful seeing him back among the goals and assists. Shit, if there's a bromance with Mikhytaryan on the cards, he could finish this season strongly.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:40 pm

Coincidence he plays 3 games in a row and we look comfortable and actually pose an attacking threat in each one? Glad Emery bit the bullet.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:51 am

Phil71 wrote:Looks like Emery's management of him is starting to work.

That's a thought i've been having too. What if his, some could say (rightfully in a way) tough treatment of Ozil isn't starting to pay big dividends? Even with his still minimal grasp of english, he said that he wanted Ozil to keep showing the same effort in training, then in the matches and basically, all the time.

In my opinion, when Ozil is in brilliant form, we not only see him get in space to get the ball and keep things moving but we also see him make good late runs in the box and either assist or score (and score some technically brilliant goal too).

This "return to form" happened against some poor teams so let's wait and see what he does against a top 6 teams. But still, I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, Emery managed to unlock Ozil and perhaps, we'll see the best of him at Arsenal under him?

That has me intrigued!
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Phil71 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 am

Mess wrote:

That's a thought i've been having too. What if his, some could say (rightfully in a way) tough treatment of Ozil isn't starting to pay big dividends? Even with his still minimal grasp of english, he said that he wanted Ozil to keep showing the same effort in training, then in the matches and basically, all the time.

In my opinion, when Ozil is in brilliant form, we not only see him get in space to get the ball and keep things moving but we also see him make good late runs in the box and either assist or score (and score some technically brilliant goal too).

This "return to form" happened against some poor teams so let's wait and see what he does against a top 6 teams. But still, I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, Emery managed to unlock Ozil and perhaps, we'll see the best of him at Arsenal under him?

That has me intrigued!

My thoughts entirely.

Wenger’s management of Özil was poor. He had far, far too many poor performances, but Wenger’s approach was to continue to sing his praises and continue to put him as the first name on every team sheet. It didn’t work. Özil is an incredibly talented player, and has the capability to completely control a game. The facts show that he hasn’t done it anywhere near often enough. That inconsistent form continued into this season, and to his shock and horror, Emery dropped him, left him out, and made it very clear to him that he needs to pull his socks up.

Let’s see if this new way of managing him works better than just blowing air up his arsehole.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

Im more excited about the prospect of Mkhi finding form, I already know that Ozil has it in him, if he has players on form around him then we will get the best out of Ozil. With a player of quality like Mkhi on form that can only be good news for the team. Could be like a £50/£60m signing.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:10 am

Mess wrote:

That has me intrigued!

Yes, those late runs. There are moments in the game when he's up for it and looking to make something happen that I'm surprised by his pace and he makes a bursting run to score a set up a goal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Losmeister » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:12 pm

one thing i pondered this morning... maybe mesuts back problems were worse than advertised and they just sorta played it hush hush?

cos he certainly looks revitalized. maybe his back was really not well and emery just made sure he was fully fit before getting him starts again?

it FELT like mismanagement to me.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Mess » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Losmeister wrote:one thing i pondered this morning... maybe mesuts back problems were worse than advertised and they just sorta played it hush hush?

cos he certainly looks revitalized. maybe his back was really not well and emery just made sure he was fully fit before getting him starts again?

it FELT like mismanagement to me.

That's entirely possible too. We can only speculate
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Mike Dean » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 am

The stab to the ground kick at 1:22

Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 am

Benched today. Understand Unai was livid with Ozils finish Wednesday. Hates any sign of flair or skill
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:53 am

alexafc12 wrote:Benched today. Understand Unai was livid with Ozils finish Wednesday. Hates any sign of flair or skill

Now that’s just ridiculous!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 am

alexafc12 wrote:Benched today. Understand Unai was livid with Ozils finish Wednesday. Hates any sign of flair or skill

Don’t be a plonker Rodney.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 am

Might not be a bad ploy, bring him on in the second half to do some damage.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club