The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Is Emery Tottenham in disguise?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BrunelGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm

It also seems like Ozil believes he will last longer than Emery will (a la Pogba and Mourinho).

If there is any truth to this, then I completely disagree how Emery's done this and the timing of it all is dreadful.

I want Ozil to leave in the Summer, but right now, we are in a battle for 4th (just) and in 2 cup competitions. Why tell him this now when it's better to have a player of his vision and passing (which no-one else in our squad has) in our team? Why do this midway through the season when we need every single player to be helping in any way they can?

The line-up against Chelsea will be telling. And if Emery doesn't pick him and we lose, he is going to get A LOT of heat. Also, if it is true that Ozil's been training extra sessions and Emery is still refusing to use him, then not only will he alienate Ozil, he will alienate the fanbase.

If it's a star player vs. manager at loggerheads, in modern day football, there's usually only one winner...and it won't be Emery.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 pm

^ I think they want players in now. Which makes me certain we're at the wage cap.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby BrunelGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:^ I think they want players in now. Which makes me certain we're at the wage cap.

I agree with you, but the problem is the club hierarchy want him out and Ozil himself doesn't want to go.

At £350k p/w, and 3 years left on his current deal, I'm not surprised.

So we have a situation where the upper echelons at the club want Ozil to go, Emery wants him to go, but the player himself is determined to stay.

What can we do? No other club is going to pay him anywhere close to what we have done.

The previous regime's decision to put a 29-year old Ozil's wages up from £140k p/w to £350k p/w on a 4-year deal was unbelievably stupid. Look at the situation it's put us in.

I will never forgive Wenger and Gazidis for this.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:^ I think they want players in now. Which makes me certain we're at the wage cap.

I agree with you, but the problem is the club hierarchy want him out and Ozil himself doesn't want to go.

At £350k p/w, and 3 years left on his current deal, I'm not surprised.

So we have a situation where the upper echelons at the club want Ozil to go, Emery wants him to go, but the player himself is determined to stay.

What can we do? No other club is going to pay him anywhere close to what we have done.

The previous regime's decision to put a 29-year old Ozil's wages up from £140k p/w to £350k p/w on a 4-year deal was unbelievably stupid. Look at the situation it's put us in.

I will never forgive Wenger and Gazidis for this.

It was fooking criminal, he is not worth half that.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Hybrid47 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:32 pm

It's no secret I love Ozil for what he can do with a football, but the contract he got was not justified and his agent got the best deal possible and used the Sanchez situation as leverage.

In no way is Ozil worth that money a week and it's crippling us, as we can now see. It's a real shame because on his day he's up there with the best and its criminal we have the most unbalanced squad ever to really reap the benefits.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

StLGooner wrote:Is Emery Tottenham in disguise?

Bloody hell, agent Emery!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Is Emery Tottenham in disguise?

Bloody hell, agent Emery!!

Maybe all this is his master plan to bring in Neymar.

Stay positive folks!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Sims wrote:Ornstein said that Özil is putting in extra training in order to win his place back

Though Emery has suggested its best for Özil to leave

Madness

The Sevillization of Arsenal in full swing. Consolidating to compete with Everton for that 6th placed trophy.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 pm

ALLCAPS_ wrote:
Rockape wrote:We needed 12 more points to beat Leicester that season. I’m not convinced a player or two coming in could have made that much difference.

I believe we lacked the steel core/spine to fight through those difficult games and that was what cost us. That was where Wenger failed, not identifying this at any stage in his career.

I don’t like to talk about the Team whose success was built on dirty Russian money, but just look st the players they had through the centre of their teams every single year. Chalk and cheese.....and he wondered why we never beat them!

We were never strong enough to beat LCFC. We were up against the absolute momentum of a sporting miracle and we were notoriously one of the most gettable teams in the league. You'd need a real bastard of a manager to stop what Leicester done; a sir alex or a mourinho in their prime. People that took real pride in spoiling the party. We beat them with about 12 games to go to put us maybe 6 points behind? Then went united and lost to kids. A team with bottle would've embarrassed them at Old Trafford.

We were 2 points behind Leicester when we beat them with 12 games to go in 2016
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:
ALLCAPS_ wrote:
Rockape wrote:We needed 12 more points to beat Leicester that season. I’m not convinced a player or two coming in could have made that much difference.

I believe we lacked the steel core/spine to fight through those difficult games and that was what cost us. That was where Wenger failed, not identifying this at any stage in his career.

I don’t like to talk about the Team whose success was built on dirty Russian money, but just look st the players they had through the centre of their teams every single year. Chalk and cheese.....and he wondered why we never beat them!

We were never strong enough to beat LCFC. We were up against the absolute momentum of a sporting miracle and we were notoriously one of the most gettable teams in the league. You'd need a real bastard of a manager to stop what Leicester done; a sir alex or a mourinho in their prime. People that took real pride in spoiling the party. We beat them with about 12 games to go to put us maybe 6 points behind? Then went united and lost to kids. A team with bottle would've embarrassed them at Old Trafford.

Weren't we top of the league at one point that season?? We knew how to close a league campaign, Wenger had that expertise, Spurs were always going to choke, Leicester were going to shit up too at some point. Wenger threw the title away, the arrogant idiotic buffoon.

We were top of the the table from the 2nd to 24 th Jan
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Rockape wrote:
Weren't we top of the league at one point that season?? We knew how to close a league campaign, Wenger had that expertise, Spurs were always going to choke, Leicester were going to shit up too at some point. Wenger threw the title away, the arrogant idiotic buffoon.

We were top of the league but the season is long and we clearly weren't good enough. We never had a leader during this important season that could drive us on, but simply let other teams steamroller us. Wasn't that the season that Palace beat us 3-0 and Walcott said they wanted it more than us?

IF we had a spine of steel during that season, we may well have won it, but Le Prof just couldn't see it and continued blindly on to another failure. Soft players playing soft football is great when you're winning but you need to fight for it sometimes!

That was the following season
We won 2-1 at crystal palace that season
starmandb

Postby BS221B » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm

I bet he is missing his dad Wenger and the beatiful football the team played under him.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 pm

You mean the one who stuck him out on the wing and track back speedy wingers which he "loved doing" right?

That culminated in his game against Bayern where he got torn to shreds and maligned by the fans for it and I among others had to stand up for him and say "Ozil can't be used to track back wingers".
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Remember the hate that was piled on Theo because he'd only pop up with clutch goals when he was in 'sign da ting' mode?

At 350k pw I would love to see anything from Ozil resembling that kind of output.

By that I mean goals and assists, the metrics every other player is assessed on.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club