The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Bornagain » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Goonerz wrote:Games like this keep showing why Ozil is crucial to us. He breaks up stubborn defences with his killer passes. If only he participated we would have won this game.

To all those idiots that keep saying we don’t need Ozil, this match should shut you up. Ozil has to play in each match whether he is out of form or not, he is our best player. Don’t expect him to fight for the ball like all the rest of our players. Just task everyone else to do the hard graft and then present the ball on the plate to our prince. I Wish wenger was still here, at least he played him every game no matter what.

Tough times for us ahead.

:rofll: :rofll:
Bornagain
Patrick Vieira

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Its idiocy to take a world class player and not play to his strengths!! Its called man management, how a manager can get the best out of the different players he has, no different to an office manager, people have different strengths and weaknesses. A good manager will get the best out of each individual.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:18 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Yago wrote:by that logic utd should play sanchez every week

They should, he is their best player. Same applies, play to his strengths

lol that's ridiculous, thanks for undermining your own argument
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Like Kaka Ronaldinho? That's not quite right. Those players reached their true potential. It's just that once they won all the accolades and praise in football, they declined and didn't maintain their peak form. They won the World Player of the Year Awards, the Champions League and everything there is to win in football and were voted by the footballing community as the World's best player when they were at their very best.

You're comparing Ozil to Ronaldinho? 'Dinho is the most talented player I've ever watched in my life. On sheer talent, he's probably better than Messi. It's just that his peak was shortlived and he didn't have the work ethic of Messi/CR7.

Ozil isn't an elite tier player. That's Messi, Ronaldinho, CR7. He's not like Bergkamp or Zidane; Pirlo or Xavi. But after these guys, he's up there. His vision is unreal. Only Messi has a better vision in world football. That final pass. I've only ever seen Bergkamp with a better final pass at Arsenal.

We're being unfair to Ozil by comparing him to the creme de la creme of world football of the last 20-25 years. Ozil is world class. There's no question. He's just not GOAT tier.

Has never won the Champions League. Only one a league title at Real Madrid and that came when they had Mourinho coaching them, with a team consisting of Ronaldo, Kaka, Xabi Alonso, Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria.....

You do realize that Ozil has won the World Cup? You do realize that he was 2nd behind Messi in most chances created in 2014 World Cup? You do realize that Ozil created most chances for Germany in 2018 WC? You do realize that no player, save for Messi, has more assists than Ozil since these stats have been recorded?

Only 1 La Liga title? How many La Liga titles has Ron won? Two.

Barca have dominated La Liga. It's not Ozil's (or Ronaldo's) fault that their time at Madrid coincided with Messi's Barca. Madrid's 3x UCL had a serious dash of luck and Ronaldo bailing them out when it mattered. Take Ronaldo out of Real Madrid and they would have zero UCLs and zero La Liga titles this decade.

I'm not even sure there has been a season where Ozil was the man of the season for Arsenal. Such a huge talent but it's rare that we can even get a run of 10 games from him where he's unstoppable.

15/16. Would have won the title if Giroud knew how to score. Would have won the title if Wenger had invested in a forward in the summer. Ozil would have smashed the PL assist record. No player in Prem history has created as many chances in a solitary season as Ozil did in 15/16.

Ozil is world class and arguably the best CAM in world football today. We haven't always surrounded him with top quality players. For the majority of his Arsenal career, he played with Giroud and Sanogo as our CF options.

People make the mistake of assuming that Ozil is a King. He ain't one. He's a King-maker.

He's not Messi. He's Iniesta. He needs a Messi. Messi doesn't need an Iniesta.

Although we could do with Iniesta in the Argentine setup. :hiding:

You have to read the post I'm replying to understand where the names Kaka and Ronaldinho came from in the first place. My whole post argues that it's a bad a comparison to start with.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Ozil has to do more, its as simple as that.

I'm not so much on about today, people banging on about a 15min appearance are people with an agenda, but the fact is for the first time today I'd of preferred to have seen Ramsey as he's a better impact player.

That's a worrying thing for Ozil, if I'm starting to run out of patience then god know's what his haters are thinking.

He needs to play a full game and start to make an impression every game, we can't afford passengers anymore.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 pm

He has always been a slacker and always will be, can't rely on him other than to go missing when the going gets tough.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Goonerz wrote:Games like this keep showing why Ozil is crucial to us. He breaks up stubborn defences with his killer passes. If only he participated we would have won this game.

To all those idiots that keep saying we don’t need Ozil, this match should shut you up. Ozil has to play in each match whether he is out of form or not, he is our best player. Don’t expect him to fight for the ball like all the rest of our players. Just task everyone else to do the hard graft and then present the ball on the plate to our prince. I Wish wenger was still here, at least he played him every game no matter what.

Tough times for us ahead.

Really enjoyed the 4-0 defeat at Southampton Boxing Day 2015
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Nejch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Ozil has to do more, its as simple as that.

I'm not so much on about today, people banging on about a 15min appearance are people with an agenda, but the fact is for the first time today I'd of preferred to have seen Ramsey as he's a better impact player.

That's a worrying thing for Ozil, if I'm starting to run out of patience then god know's what his haters are thinking.

He needs to play a full game and start to make an impression every game, we can't afford passengers anymore.

I'm really annoyed by people being pejorative towards everyone who criticizes Ozil and automatically labelling them "haters". It's similar to how people used to do this to the ones who called Wenger out on his bullshit in the early days.

You know why it seems that people have "an agenda"? Because people despise players who can't be bothered to even make themselves look like they care about the club. Not everyone may be a footballing mastermind but everyone can see Ozil's attitude and they don't like it. People sense that something's off. There are some who are willing to look past this because he can be a game changer and a top class player on days when he can actually be bothered to put in the effort. I for one, am not that person and I'm not alone.

I don't take nearly as much issue with what he does on the pitch per se, than with how he does it; half-heartedly at best. Instead of playing to actually earn the god damn fortunes this club is paying him he acts like he's doing f***ing charity for a lower league team and thinks it's enough to just prance around the pitch however he wishes. I wouldn't criticize him nearly as much if he actually showed with his actions on the pitch, not just his social media, that he cares and that he wants to be here.

We'll be losing a quality player if he leaves but Emery's new regime at the club leaves no place for entitled, self-centered players like himself. He can either start putting in effort or he can get lost.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Yago wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Yago wrote:by that logic utd should play sanchez every week

They should, he is their best player. Same applies, play to his strengths

lol that's ridiculous, thanks for undermining your own argument

How? He was world class at Arsenal and was bought by Man U on the strength of that. Explain your comment, how is my post ridiculous.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Nejch wrote:

I'm really annoyed by people being pejorative towards everyone who criticizes Ozil and automatically labelling them "haters". It's similar to how people used to do this to the ones who called Wenger out on his bullshit in the early days.

You know why it seems that people have "an agenda"? Because people despise players who can't be bothered to even make themselves look like they care about the club. Not everyone may be a footballing mastermind but everyone can see Ozil's attitude and they don't like it. People sense that something's off. There are some who are willing to look past this because he can be a game changer and a top class player on days when he can actually be bothered to put in the effort. I for one, am not that person and I'm not alone.

I don't take nearly as much issue with what he does on the pitch per se, than with how he does it; half-heartedly at best. Instead of playing to actually earn the god damn fortunes this club is paying him he acts like he's doing f***ing charity for a lower league team and thinks it's enough to just prance around the pitch however he wishes. I wouldn't criticize him nearly as much if he actually showed with his actions on the pitch, not just his social media, that he cares and that he wants to be here.

We'll be losing a quality player if he leaves but Emery's new regime at the club leaves no place for entitled, self-centered players like himself. He can either start putting in effort or he can get lost.

You complain about being accused of certain things then call Ozil entitled and self centered. The prosecution rests its case m'lud.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:08 am

Nejch wrote:

Well said, the fanboys won't thank you for this post but its the true. :clap:
Nuggets

Postby Interest: waning » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 am

Rubbish player. f**k him. f**k off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Losmeister » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 pm

"... Mesut Özil’s arrival off the bench did not exactly give them the required spark: the German can be an easy target but he played here as if his feet were weighed down by sacks of sand."

the guardian.
another throw away performance. he simply does not show up enough.
we need his top performances 70% of the time, not 30%
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Sigh, you lot.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:45 pm

I didn't watch the game so no idea how anyone played and I don't listen to GW about how players do cod well agendas and all that but ozil being picked on in a game he didn't start in.

Impressive
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club