The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

ozil defo needs the ball more if he is to make an impact.

he wasnt bad. just pedestrian.

mueller was an absolute cipher. he fallen off so drastically.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 pm

barney ronay at the guardian was not so kind as my meh/pedestrian rating.

". Özil had done not just nothing in the first half, but less than nothing, offering simply an absence, a Mesut-shaped hole. For a while he dropped deeper with more success, driving forward like a featherweight Roy Keane."

i think sometimes we rate according to expectation and the pressure of the game.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm

Typical Ozil post 2015 .... not bad but just not that effective ... probably put up decent enough numbers, but I guarantee the Mexico defence / midfield would be happy to play against him every week .... he just doesn't impose himself at all anymore .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:04 am

Pathetic from some of these responses.

You act like Ozil playing for Germany matters to us??

Germany is not Arsenal so why are people being butt hurt about his performance? or is it just an excuse to hate on the guy? are all the German players crap now or only Ozil?

If he plays crap for AFC then have at it, but i don't give a damn how he plays for Germany, not sure why you should either ........... unless your German of course?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:27 am

It's not a question of an non-Arsenal game, its his attitude and lack of responsibility, when he needs to step up when things not going well. He played safe passes and rarely drove forward to create something. Though I like him very much, it seems either he's past his prime or is just there for the ride.
After this performance, if Lowe wishes to save his job, he'll have to drop him , Mueller, and possibly Khedeira in favour of more energetic youngsters. AFC will face similar problems with their top star behaving erratically for another season. Might as well look for another creative guy like Golovin to fall back, in case Ozil becomes unrecoverable.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Pathetic from some of these responses.

You act like Ozil playing for Germany matters to us??

Germany is not Arsenal so why are people being butt hurt about his performance? or is it just an excuse to hate on the guy? are all the German players crap now or only Ozil?

If he plays crap for AFC then have at it, but i don't give a damn how he plays for Germany, not sure why you should either ........... unless your German of course?

Simple ....

This is the guy in which we've invested 50m on a mega-salary contract ... performances matter ... whilst I think Oxil is the best player in our squad his drop in form year on year is alarming ...

We want (feck Germany) a fit confident Ozil for next season ... not a player just dumped by his country ... and he will be dumped if he keeps playing like he did yesterday ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 am

Again with the money ......... who cares what AFC decided to pay him? your not getting it, I'm not getting any of it, its not like we can't sell him if needed, better than letting everyone go on a free like we have been recently.

All I care about is if he plays well for us, when the season starts if from August to January he doesn't play well then I'll want him out as well, but the last time I checked it was Sanchez and Ozil keeping AFC from being dog sh*t until the whole Wenger, Sanchez etc scenario completely put us in crisis.

This is a new clean slate, new manager, new players, new team, why don't you try and support our team and our best players until they prove otherwise?

Emery's Arsenal hasn't played one match yet, but your already on one of our best players backs.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Again with the money ......... who cares what AFC decided to pay him? your not getting it, I'm not getting any of it, its not like we can't sell him if needed, better than letting everyone go on a free like we have been recently.

All I care about is if he plays well for us, when the season starts if from August to January he doesn't play well then I'll want him out as well, but the last time I checked it was Sanchez and Ozil keeping AFC from being dog sh*t until the whole Wenger, Sanchez etc scenario completely put us in crisis.

This is a new clean slate, new manager, new players, new team, why don't you try and support our team and our best players until they prove otherwise?

Emery's Arsenal hasn't played one match yet, but your already on one of our best players backs.

No you don't get it ....

Ozil is clearly demoralized ... mystery injuries, extra days off, no show in matches ... you think a poor World Cup with heaps off abuse from the German press will help?

You can't just treat the World Cup in isolation, it's the same player playing the same game, don't give a feck about Germany but we do need Ozil to play well and come back with confidence restored ... otherwise the Ozil '18 version is about as much use to Arsenal as a chocolate teapot ...

I'm not on his back you dozy pillock, I desperately want him to do well ... the fact is we need him to do well ... but if Emery has no confidence in him then we will need him out .... yet another season with our highest paid player producing very average performances? we've all seen how that ends up and it's not pretty ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 am

Not sure why so much criticism of Ozil?

It's not like he was horrific or he plays for some Tom, Dick, Harry side. He plays for the German national team and Ozil wasn't even one of the poorer performers yesterday. Yes, that's how pedantic and woeful the Germans were against Mexico.

Zidane, Iniesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Alonso, Petit, and Ozil have few things in common: they've won World Cups and they've starred in World Cups. If you remove Ozil from the equation, the remaining have also flopped massively in World Cups. France didn't win a single game in 2002 World Cup as defending champions and they had the best squad in the tournament.

A different perspective perhaps?

I don't understand why Ozil has become a thorn in the side of many Arsenal fans. We've won trophies since he's arrived. He's individually broken the Premier League fastest-to-50 assist record. His assist rate is still staggering and was miles ahead of anyone until KdB arrived to play alongside a stellar attack. After Lionel Messi, he's #2 in the all-time assists list (since it started being documented). He's scored some big goals...

Ozil doesn't deserve this constant criticism that Gooners and these so-called pundits throw at him.

In a tournament, where Messi was marked out of the game; Neymar was a bumbling fool; Griezmann looked like he was still pondering on how to seek more attention; Isco was busy trying to figure out how to act all busy whilst doing nothing, or the entire Spanish midfield looked clueless; and France's best players were busy replicating Iwobi and Gibbs - we're actually finding more excuses to shit on Ozil. As if we haven't done that enough already.

How and why is it that we single out Ozil? It's not fair. It has never been. There's been no player in our history, under Wenger, who's been as much maligned, tormented, and criticized as Mesut Ozil - and this is the world's best central attacking midfielder we're talking about. This is the man who helped us end our trophy drought. This is a man that decided to stay at Arsenal. This is a man who helped us through Wenger's abysmal and clueless final 4 seasons at Arsenal. Despite the shit show of a season we had, he was still a top-2 or top-3 performer last season.

Ozil isn't Hazard or Sanchez. He's a Riquelme - in that he's a creative visionary and one of the last authentic #10s left in the game.

Aaaaaaand he's yet to flop in a World Cup. If he does flop in this one, meh. So have Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi, and Pirlo.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 am

no player whose recieved the abuse ozil has? you cannot be serious. he has never had near the abuse that giroud got. and i am not excusing giroud for his play either. just pointing out a fact.

someone said the german media was on ozil? is that true?

good point about many stars having less than stellar performances in the first game, Angelito.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Losmeister wrote:no player whose recieved the abuse ozil has? you cannot be serious. he has never had near the abuse that giroud got. and i am not excusing giroud for his play either. just pointing out a fact.

someone said the german media was on ozil? is that true?

good point about many stars having less than stellar performances in the first game, Angelito.

Yeah others have gotten stick too but unlike giroud, ozil gets loads of stick from inside and outside the club imo.

Giroud used to be hated by arsenal fans mainly, a lot of other club supporters actually rated him when I talked to them about him.

The whole ozil money thing stems from certain haters in the media not liking that arsenal signed a star of this calibre, they want him to fail. Also he's the direct antithesis of an English archetypal player.

Languid on the ball, doesn't put it about, isn't focused on goal scoring as much as providing.

The same people that criticise ozil consistently are the same people that wondered why our style of play frizzled away when cazorla got injured (they also used to criticise his goal and assist return playing from deep).

A lot of the criticism I reckon stems from people who don't have a more in-depth understanding of football and it's nuances and instead fall back on goals and assist charts as the only indicator as to who is a top player and who isn't.

Ozil was far away from the worst performers on the field yesterday but somehow his name is targeted for the result.

Why not look at kimmich who had an absolute mare.

Kroos and Muller who couldn't do anything about the press or deep defence. The aimless balls into the box that were easily defended or that as soon as brandt came on and actually started hitting some quality onto the box, they looked much better.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Roycck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

He did have some over the top nice passes yesterday. He is not that pathetic compare to some of the German players.
Roycck
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 pm

anyway, i , for one, am not singling out ozil yesterday. i am hopeful that he'll play well and be energized for AFC.

i dont give a rats ass for the rest of the german team who do not play for AFC.

hummels also was absolutely abused by chicharito.
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Angelito wrote:Not sure why so much criticism of Ozil?

It's not like he was horrific or he plays for some Tom, Dick, Harry side. He plays for the German national team and Ozil wasn't even one of the poorer performers yesterday. Yes, that's how pedantic and woeful the Germans were against Mexico.

Zidane, Iniesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Alonso, Petit, and Ozil have few things in common: they've won World Cups and they've starred in World Cups. If you remove Ozil from the equation, the remaining have also flopped massively in World Cups. France didn't win a single game in 2002 World Cup as defending champions and they had the best squad in the tournament.

A different perspective perhaps?

I don't understand why Ozil has become a thorn in the side of many Arsenal fans. We've won trophies since he's arrived. He's individually broken the Premier League fastest-to-50 assist record. His assist rate is still staggering and was miles ahead of anyone until KdB arrived to play alongside a stellar attack. After Lionel Messi, he's #2 in the all-time assists list (since it started being documented). He's scored some big goals...

Ozil doesn't deserve this constant criticism that Gooners and these so-called pundits throw at him.

In a tournament, where Messi was marked out of the game; Neymar was a bumbling fool; Griezmann looked like he was still pondering on how to seek more attention; Isco was busy trying to figure out how to act all busy whilst doing nothing, or the entire Spanish midfield looked clueless; and France's best players were busy replicating Iwobi and Gibbs - we're actually finding more excuses to shit on Ozil. As if we haven't done that enough already.

How and why is it that we single out Ozil? It's not fair. It has never been. There's been no player in our history, under Wenger, who's been as much maligned, tormented, and criticized as Mesut Ozil - and this is the world's best central attacking midfielder we're talking about. This is the man who helped us end our trophy drought. This is a man that decided to stay at Arsenal. This is a man who helped us through Wenger's abysmal and clueless final 4 seasons at Arsenal. Despite the shit show of a season we had, he was still a top-2 or top-3 performer last season.

Ozil isn't Hazard or Sanchez. He's a Riquelme - in that he's a creative visionary and one of the last authentic #10s left in the game.

Aaaaaaand he's yet to flop in a World Cup. If he does flop in this one, meh. So have Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi, and Pirlo.

Because the social media fans hate the clubs record signings, the homegrown players, the manager, the assistant manager, the goalkeeping coach, the medical staff, the kit man, the club photographer, the tea ladies and the chap that drives the coach. They hate the clubs values, it’s style of play, it’s tactics and its motivations. But they looooooooove the club. Heck they love it more than Henry Norris. A person they are right now frantically googling to find out more about.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Losmeister wrote:anyway, i , for one, am not singling out ozil yesterday. i am hopeful that he'll play well and be energized for AFC.

i dont give a rats ass for the rest of the german team who do not play for AFC.

hummels also was absolutely abused by chicharito.
Hummels looked like he was playing a tribute match for Mustafi

Kimmich was doing the same for an out of form Bellerin
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club