The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:I think playing a 4-3-3 letting ramsey free is the right move.

That's what he's best at, but that will require more discipline behind him.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Tue May 22, 2018 7:07 pm

DialSquaregooner wrote:very telling when new gaffer does not plan to build our squad round our highest earner and biggest flopper
It's not telling at all considering it's made up

Ffs the man hasn't even been appointed yet.

Inb4 next week we're signing Brendan Rogers and all this about Emery that's used to bash Ozil is forgotten about

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Lucky7 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Whether it's true or not... I feel it may be the way forward. Ozil in a free role doesn't allow us the option to press. At least from what we've seen of Ozil under Wenger. If you can't press from it allows much more exposure to counter-attacking and limits your defensive tactics. I feel like it's one of the biggest limiting factors a team can impose on itself.

An offense of Laca, Auba, Mhiki, Ramsey etc could be a fantastic way to force turnovers and slow down the ball enough with pressure to avoid counter-attacking.

Emery hasn't played with an attacking midfielder in quite some time. He hasn't had a player like Ozil though so we will see. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a more limited roll though.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Lucky7 wrote:Reports coming out that Emery plans on building the team around Ramsey and Aubameyang.

Given his system at PSG based on a dual cm pivot +DM what would Ozil's role be? Emery does like inverted wingers and Ozil has plenty of experience out wide for Germany.

If the cm pivot is the path forward should we cash out on Ozil to fund this transition or move to the technical winger style of the 07/08 team?

Would be happy to sell Ozil and use the money for a CB. He really only had chemistry with Alexis, which makes sense seeing as how he was a luxury player who looked WC only when playing with WC goalscorers (Ronaldo etc).

That said, I do want to see what Emery can get out of Ozil. Mikhytaryan and Jack are yet to prove their playmaking ability.

I do want him sold for sure in summer 2019.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Selling Ozil when we finally have a top quality striker would be madness.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 pm

lol mesut in a drilled system will be unbelievable
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DialSquaregooner » Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Pudpop wrote:
DialSquaregooner wrote:very telling when new gaffer does not plan to build our squad round our highest earner and biggest flopper
It's not telling at all considering it's made up

Ffs the man hasn't even been appointed yet.

Inb4 next week we're signing Brendan Rogers and all this about Emery that's used to bash Ozil is forgotten about

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think I touched a nerve :rofll:
DialSquaregooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Just because Ozil tailed off at the end of the season coming off a lay off during injury and people just forget that throughout most of our recent seasons he's been our best player.

Yes he can run a bit hot and cold but is that not down to Wenger treating AFC like a hotbed for training up underwhelming footballers like Iwobi?

Its probably very hard for a player like Ozil coming from Real Madrid to get a red rocket over playing with Iwobi and Welbeck, maybe there's the reason he shined with Sanchez ........ playing with an actual good player who is on his wavelength.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ozil under a more competitive minded manager and full games alongside LMAO.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Out and out 10's don't really suit modern day football, even Wenger was playing ozil on the wing by the end of it.

I am still unsure about ozil on the wing, the dream would be someone who is a hybrid creative midfielder/pacy dribbler, Mahrez obviously springs to mind, if we had of sold that dog nonce at the right time we would have had the funds to get him, to late now.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

All this crap about the press !! Listen, just learn how to defend and the press is irrelevant. If you have 11 dumbasses trying to defend of course you will have a poor defensive record. Its a stupid buzzword in football now that people are brainwashed by. Same with not being able to play 2 strikers up top or not being able to have a number 10. At one point people said 4-4-2 was no match for other formations and blah blah blah - yet how many times have we heard the 2 up top gave problems to the defense when an additional striker was thrown on or formation changed !!

The best tactic/formation for any given team is one that takes advantage of the players available to them and their strengths. Finding a cohesive way of playing is what good managers do. Our future success does not rely on whether or not we adopt a high intensity press on teams.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

The reason Pep is so successful is that he has a plan for every game, much as I dislike Mourinho he's the same, as indeed is Conte ... Klopp and Poch are still 'one trick ponies' that will work until they're inevitably found out or they change ... all mangers have a preferred tactic Pep, Poch, Klopp attack ... Conte long ball ... Mourinho bore you to death ... but the best ones are always the most flexible ...

Now of course you can be the best tactician in the world but if you lack the players to adopt those tactics it won't matter ... Pep has them all ... Mourinho and Conte less so ...

Saying we can play 4-4-2 requires two competent DM's to protect the defence ... do we have them?

Saying we can play 5 2-2-1 requires three competent CD's ... do we have them?

So whilst a manager may 'want' to vary his tactics sometimes he is forced, due to the playing staff he has, to play one way ...

Klopp has to play an attacking front three right now he doesn't have any other real option ... but I bet he knows what he needs ...

Poch has to play a diamond Eriksen - 2 - Kane ... he has no other serious option but again I bet he's looking ...

as I've said Pep can play any line-up he wants he has every option, looking at the Utd and Chelsea squads you would think the same applied but maybe the players are just not quite as good as their salaries suggest ...

and what about us?

Unai by all accounts is a very technical manager he will want to set up the team the best way possible depending on the opposition ... to do that he needs options ... attack? no problem Lacca - PEA - Welbeck? - Ozil - Mkhi - Ramsey ... central midfield? Wilshere? Xhaka? Elneny? ... defensive midfield? your guess is as good as mine ... Defence? with better protection the defense might be alright, we need one more CB but that should be enough ...

So even if he wants to set up a side to 'park the bus' he can't he just doesn't have the personnel ... it's the issue Wonger created, and it's why we had our worst defensive season since 1000BC, well it felt like that anyway ....

Unai is certainly no fool he will already know this ... he's taken the job so he must have a solution ... can't wait to see who he brings in .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 am

I like the old barca 4-3-3 style, fast wide players that keep width in the first two thirds and then express themselves in the final third, with technically gifted midfielders that can battle and again express themselves in the final third, basically what pep is doing now.

That is what I would love to see, fast attackers in the final third that want to best people, player that will get you of your seat.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby LegendaryKeown » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Ozil has had it far too easy under Wenger. Watch Emery make him press from the front, which he does manage to do for Germany
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am

The logic behind paying a 'superstar' 300k a week was always questionable, now the reality is kicking in. We've approached several targets (big names by all accounts) and guess what? all their agents are asking for 300k a week ... and why wouldn't they?

Once you set a bench-mark it should come as no surprise when everyone wants to reach it ... back in the day clever agents used to get "equal to the top earner" clauses, don't think even we're stupid enough to do that anymore, now when player's salaries (well the top ones anyway) have to be published in company accounts, every agent knows what's available ...

Paying Ozil 300k was always a mistake, he's not worth it for starters, but even if he was the contract should have been better, 200k maximum in salary anything else in bonuses or loyalty payments ...

The miss-management in our club for the last few years defies belief ... it's a legacy that will grind us down for at least another year or two ...

Best option is to sell Ozil (whatever you think of him) then our biggest earner would be Auba on 180k ... still feckin' ridiculous but manageable ... the problem is the word is already out there ... go to Arsenal they will pay you 300k a week ... because everyone knows we've already done it ...
Last edited by EliteKiller on Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 am

We could do with him being player of the tournament at the world cup and real bidding silly money to sign him back from us. Not going to happen though.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club