Danny Welbeck

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Danny Welbeck (23)

Postby Phil71 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:20 pm

He's been trying out Torreira in goal so I hear.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Phil71 wrote:I remember Don Howe starting striker Paul Mariner at centre half.

He did indeed and he played very well
It was early in the 85/86 season and we were a little short there
Chris whyte had been sold to crystal palace
Martin keown was on loan at Brighton and had not made a first team appearance yet
David o'leary had a knock or flu or some such
So it was mariner who partnered Tommy caton in a 1-0 win home to Leicester thanks to tony woodcock
Tony Adams remained on the bench
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 am

theHotHead wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Has anyone ever heard of Ashley Young? Used to be a star winger-cum-striker for Watford and Villa? Earned a big money move to Man Utd and a death threat from Villa manager John Gregory? Played the last 2/3 year's as left back for Utd and part of England's best World Cup performances for 30 years, even though his soul should have been destroyed?

Similarly, wasn't Valencia also a winger before becoming one of Utd's best defenders and Captain even?

Without doubt, both moves were glaringly obvious and any fool would have done the same.

Yes I am being a little bit facetious but my point is to keep some perspective here. We have 2 left backs, both are injured. We have a problematic situation which the manager has sought to solve, which is the very essence of his job.

This is only an option he could give himself as an alternative to playing Maitland-Niles, who is even less suited to the role given he's more right sided and will benefit most long term from not being used like Red Adair.

If either was going to get destroyed (self confidence included) by who ever City play on the right, then I would rather it be the one I'm prepared to move on as opposed to the youngster I'm trying to develop and has already done his bit of shit shovelling at full back. Damage limitation considering City are understandably massive favourites to win, therefore nothing to lose, not even the 3 points.

This may or may not even happen but I can see the logic of such thinking.

You cannot compare Ashley Young and Valencia with Welbeck. both were very decent wingers with fantastic ball control and a good shot. Welbeck cannot be classed as a winger, he is not a "twinkle toes" player, he just runs a lot and works hard. So their conversion only required more defensive awareness to be added, technically they were fine. Technically Welbeck is miles behind them but has more natural defensive awareness.

The only comparison made was that the idea of playing Welbeck at full back was not so left field or such an alien concept as to be completely dismissed without consideration.

Young and Valencia were those considerations or at least mine, examples of two players from forward positions who were now being deployed at full back to a degree that you would have to say was successful.

To save us from a pointless debate regards as to what then qualifies as having been a success, that Young has been rewarded to the extent of international recognition in that position and his team mate the captain's armband at Utd, is what quantifies my assessment.

Cesc and Flamini, Arsenal central midfield pairing, some experience of winning the league, world cup and euro championship, one a defensive ball winner type, the other a midfield dictator type, leader and captain.

Veira and Petit, Arsenal central midfield pairing, experience of winning the league, world cup and euro championship, one a defensive ball winner type, the other a midfield dictator type, leader and captain.

Comparable or not comparable, or should I have focused on 5'8" versus 6'3" or some other irrelevant factor?

I can understand and appreciate the need to take something's to the endth degree in the name of proof but we're talking football here, not applied mathematics, bending moments or fluid mechanics where it would be relevant.

I will admit to a wry smile that you ended with recognition that Welbeck does indeed possess more natural defensive prowess than Young and Valencia, the very crux of the initial points being made.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm

starmandb wrote:

Martin keown was on loan at Brighton and had not made a first team appearance yet
So it was mariner who partnered Tommy caton in a 1-0 win home to Leicester thanks to tony woodcock

Cheers :biggrin:

I remember a really boring spell under Howe. I recall one game when a mate and I were standing at the back in the clock end, and some fella came in late. He asked, "Any score?", and my mate replied, "Nah...not for a few weeks mate."
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Danny Welbeck as a full back would be terrible. Wasn't Ashley Cole a striker in his early football years ? You want your full backs to have quick feet
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Didn't need the words "as a few full back"
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I remember a really boring spell under Howe. I recall one game when a mate and I were standing at the back in the clock end, and some fella came in late. He asked, "Any score?", and my mate replied, "Nah...not for a few weeks mate."

I too remember the occasion if not all the details. Mariner's biggest attribute was his heading ability so coupled with his size and experience he was not gonna get run over in the position. Clever coaching move to protect the youngster and get everyone focused on the old war horse England international instead.

Christ you have evoked some memories now. These kids don't know their born complaining about the likes of Mustafi and Koscielny, I got to witness Gus Caesar. Gus Caesar. Gus Caesar...damn...years of counselling has just been undone.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby KingChrome » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:41 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I too remember the occasion if not all the details. Mariner's biggest attribute was his heading ability so coupled with his size and experience he was not gonna get run over in the position. Clever coaching move to protect the youngster and get everyone focused on the old war horse England international instead.

Christ you have evoked some memories now. These kids don't know their born complaining about the likes of Mustafi and Koscielny, I got to witness Gus Caesar. Gus Caesar. Gus Caesar...damn...years of counselling has just been undone.

People forget how shit Adams, Keown, Bould and Linighan were in Grahams last 2 seasons, then under Rioch before Wenger took over, we were the laughing stock of the media as we finished 12th, i remember the Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham fans rubbing it in my face at school.

Lets not forget the Cygan & Stepanov.
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby KingChrome » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:Danny Welbeck as a full back would be terrible. Wasn't Ashley Cole a striker in his early football years ? You want your full backs to have quick feet

He was a winger.

Sol Campbell was a striker, might be what you were thinking of.

I think we might play 5-3-2,. i cant imagine Welbeck as a left back, as a left wing back maybe.
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:

I guess that would have been the 0-0 fa cup replay with Luton after losing 1-0 at Newcastle and then losing the second replay 3-0 at Luton
That was our worse run of games without a goal under Howe
starmandb

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Galatasaray have made Arsenal's Danny Welbeck a top target before the close of the transfer window, but the striker does not want to move, AMK reports.

The Turkish giants hope to invest the money received for Champions League qualification and see the England international as an ideal candidate.

However, Welbeck says he is happy in London.

Come on Gala, make him an offer he cant refuse
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Apparently Marcos Alonso is one goal away from equalling Welbz’s arsenal record

He’s made 13 less apps and is a left back
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Really don't understand how people cant see how bad Welbeck is in everything he does
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby KingChrome » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:57 pm

I don't see how we will get more than 5m for him at this point, but i want to see him gone, i'd play Iwobi over him any day and that speaks volumes (to be fair he had a good game today)

I still think the issue was never Wenger, and its not Emery now, its the owners who cant even give us 1 3rd of the amount Everton had to spend so we have to settle for shit like these.

I'm surprised we didn't end up with Titus Bramble :rofll:
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:38 am

Play him on the right instead of that turd Mkhitaryan. At least Welbeck will give us pace and work rate and give the opposing full back something to think about.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football