Santiago "Santi" Cazorla González ~ A Modern Day Great

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Santi Cazorla (19)

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Mesüt wrote:Dunno why people are so against offering contracts to class players, we have the chance to keep a proven top class player around and if he manages to stay fit then get the benefit of using him.

The club just have to be smart about the deal and agree that the majority of his pay would be in app bonuses, if he doesn't like it he can try elsewhere but the deal has to work for both parties. You can't just give him a new 2 year 100k pw deal when he's so injury prone now.

Should be 40k pw with 60k everytime he starts a game for example, 30k for sub app. IDK but that's down to the club to figure out.

I love Cazorla ........... but is the man ever going to be fit again to play? if not then we should just move on.

"If" he's going to make a full recovery then that's different but think about how long he's been out for, who ever recovers from that sort of injury? this is going to be Diaby MkII
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

It's not just about the money. It's about squad places. I don't want him using up a squad place. Wenger does because he can say "well eeeer ve have ze numbers"

f**k that. Replace him.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm

UFGN wrote:It's not just about the money. It's about squad places. I don't want him using up a squad place. Wenger does because he can say "well eeeer ve have ze numbers"

f**k that. Replace him.

Exactly.

You just know this will happen as well.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Remember how long Wenger kept Merts and Arteta around? Merts is still on the books and has barely played in 2 years.

If Burnley finish above us and we end up with no EL next year, no way should he stay on.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 am

It makes no sense offering him a contract when you have no idea that he will be able to play competitive football at top level. whats the rush ? Are there a queue of clubs lining up to sign him ?

Wait to see if he recovers and is able to play football again then offer him a contract if you wish. But offering him a contract while he is still recovering and not kicking footballs is ridiculous and typical of the mis-management at the club under Wenger !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 am

Oh yeah would much rather have Iwobi/Xhaka/Chambers etc having a squad place than a player who is genuinely on the verge of world class. 1 year deal to see how he recovers on some sort of appearance incentive based scheme is 0 harm whatsoever.

Our midfield has been shite without him.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:34 am

coach8smallball wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Dunno why people are so against offering contracts to class players, we have the chance to keep a proven top class player around and if he manages to stay fit then get the benefit of using him.

The club just have to be smart about the deal and agree that the majority of his pay would be in app bonuses, if he doesn't like it he can try elsewhere but the deal has to work for both parties. You can't just give him a new 2 year 100k pw deal when he's so injury prone now.

Should be 40k pw with 60k everytime he starts a game for example, 30k for sub app. IDK but that's down to the club to figure out.

I agree with your point of view, but it's not like this hasn't been an issue in the past. we've resigned so many players where their respective games have gone to shite and used their signing as a reason not to pursue world class players. farteta and flamer come to mind.

abou diaby was more out of hope he'd come out of his injury funk but wenger kept holding on. look at mertz too, wanted to retire and the Grinch convinced him to return......why?

wilshere is another case that could be used as a point of reference too.

these types of decisions compound our deficiencies and its very disappointing. if it were a one off situation then I wouldn't mind so much, but it has been an ongoing problem.

I understand your points and I think the historical issues are what make people more keen to get rid of Cazorla now but you can't compare a player with Cazorla's quality to the shit like Flamini and Arteta who were well past it when they were given new deals.

Last time we saw Cazorla play he was still a top class player and could still be very useful for us if he can give the 15 games Vava suggested.

Wilshere should go, Xhaka should go, Wenger is gone. Nobody will be expecting Cazorla to play 60 games next season and he may even be shit now but I wouldn't pass up on his quality based on shitty deals in the past. He was our midfield when fit, remains to be seen how he recovers from his injury and I'd love to see him in our shirt again.

@Vava I think the issue you raised wouldn't be a problem with a new manager.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby coach8smallball » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Mesüt wrote:
coach8smallball wrote:

I agree with your point of view, but it's not like this hasn't been an issue in the past. we've resigned so many players where their respective games have gone to shite and used their signing as a reason not to pursue world class players. farteta and flamer come to mind.

abou diaby was more out of hope he'd come out of his injury funk but wenger kept holding on. look at mertz too, wanted to retire and the Grinch convinced him to return......why?

wilshere is another case that could be used as a point of reference too.

these types of decisions compound our deficiencies and its very disappointing. if it were a one off situation then I wouldn't mind so much, but it has been an ongoing problem.

I understand your points and I think the historical issues are what make people more keen to get rid of Cazorla now but you can't compare a player with Cazorla's quality to the shit like Flamini and Arteta who were well past it when they were given new deals.

Last time we saw Cazorla play he was still a top class player and could still be very useful for us if he can give the 15 games Vava suggested.

Wilshere should go, Xhaka should go, Wenger is gone. Nobody will be expecting Cazorla to play 60 games next season and he may even be shit now but I wouldn't pass up on his quality based on shitty deals in the past. He was our midfield when fit, remains to be seen how he recovers from his injury and I'd love to see him in our shirt again.

@Vava I think the issue you raised wouldn't be a problem with a new manager.

if cazorla does come back to those levels then i'm all for a one year deal that is heavily incentivized. but the realist in me does not see cazorla coming back to those levels. i love cazorla and wish him well
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GBLShorty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 pm

We seem to only play well when Cazorla is playing, the last few years he seems to bring the best out of everyone, i would love to see him in the same team as Ozil and Mkhiy with a ball winner,its probably to late now tho.
GBLShorty
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GBLShorty » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Cazorla used to make Theo Walcott look like a superstar
GBLShorty
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Santi running around the pitch

Dear god, hes getting a new contract isn't he?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Come on, have some heart. He probably didn't think he'd ever run again.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Looks so fat now
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm