Cédric Soares (17)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Cédric Soares (17)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:19 pm

A classic Kubrick depiction of war weary, rag tag Vietnam veterans recalling battles lost, or won at too heavy a cost. "You weren't there man...you weren't there...!" cries a soldier verging on PTSD.

Fast forward 50 years on to an old and grey Laurent Kosielny, sat wrapped in a blanket on a trauma ward mumbling " Bayern Munich..Drogba..no..Barcelona..8-2 man..they're all over us, 5-1 again and again, man..Costa, no, no...6 nil man..they're coming out of nowhere man!"

I know it's not very fashionable to try and apply some perspective into such matters but sod it, here goes.

All of the defenders we have at our disposal are tainted, scarred and damaged by the malaise and recurring symptomatic failings we have been afflicted with down the years. All bar Tierney, Mari, Luiz and Cedric Soares that is.

When Mustafi would look to pass the blame for conceding a goal, or an impromptu judicial review would suddenly break out with Sokratis at its core, a mindset akin to shell-shock tended to envelope the whole defence and erode the confidence and positivity from the rest of the team.

On more than one occasion I have seen calls for the entire team personnel to be scrapped, but in the main it is our defensive roster that most have wanted to see replaced.

In not allowing for issues that the players themselves have had no control over to take centre stage, aren't the four players above finally a step in the right direction?

Remove the element of injuries and at that point a number of fans wishes would actually have been granted, wouldn't they? That definitely 3 of the 4 are league champions and meet the criteria of serial winners...aren't these the very same qualities we would stipulate that the replacement players wanted to overhaul our squad with, should possess?

We have seen the rise and more spectacular fall of Hector Bellerin at right back, we have so far and more often than not seen the inadequacies outweigh the benefits and potential of Ainsley Maitland Niles playing there too.

And yet here we are, erecting the gallows for the Portuguese's arsenal career in preference for two players who so far are only proving that they can't cut the mustard at the highest level.

All that I am saying is that we ought to allow for this guy to at least demonstrate that he's also as crap as they are via some actual performances, and reserve judgement on him until then.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Loan deal extended and expected to be signed on a perm.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Loan deal extended and expected to be signed on a perm.

Yes why not.

He's looked excellent in games .............
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:12 pm

Initial cost was £5m.

New deal until end of season will be for £1m.

Permanent deal likely to include £4m signing bonus and £120k a week wages. 3 year contract.

Takes total cost of the deal to £28.7m. With agent fees likely to reach £30m

Don Raul. He's done it again !
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:06 pm

Just have listened to Arteta press conference mentioned that Cedric at one stage had a fractured nose,
FFS I boxed several times with a broken nose what the f**k is wrong with these prima donnas
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:51 am

Wasting more money on average players, this guy has been injured since he arrived, now somehow we’ve decided he’s good enough to sign.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:15 pm

I don't understand what he's done to make us want to get him permanently.

Being cheap is the only thing I can think of.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Well quite clearly when we got him in January it was always the plan to sign him permanently this summer, we just got him on loan early thinking we needed better RB cover since AMN is shit.

Not a great signing but by the same token people are saying he and Mari haven't justified themselves, they also haven't had chance to show if they are good enough yet. Soares will just be a backup anyway so seems smart to sign a freebie to me.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Arsenal.com
Integrating back into full training following facial injury. Successful procedure has taken place further to nasal fracture sustained in training. Aiming to be available for selection after Sheffield United (a).
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Greatest debut ever?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Ach wrote:Greatest debut ever?
Only Parlour and Kolo come close.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby island_gunner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Don't know much about the guy and he wasn't asked to defend today but the fact that he showed he can whip in crosses and strike with both feet is already a big deal based on what he see at RB
island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 pm

We should keep him permanently, I'm fed up with Hector. If AMN dont wanna challenge Cedric, buy another RB.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 pm

elkanofan wrote:We should keep him permanently, I'm fed up with Hector. If AMN dont wanna challenge Cedric, buy another RB.

Cédric signed a 4-year contract last week.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk