Laurent Koscielny ~ Lolo

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: When will Koscielny start getting stick?

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 pm

see sterling counter goal from liverpool 5-1 thrashing for my response. big gap anywhere in defence can easily result in a goal. anyway I never said they were equal threats but I said that Gibbs wouldn't be in the right position either.

im glad you're really keen to shoot kos down though, don't want his ego too big from being awesome.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Swan wrote:If kos was where mert was he could have cought the guy.

The way is see it it therw was no one on the right side makeing a run just the guy 5 feet from mert and when he is that close to him.he should have seen him and make an.adjustment.

When he finally saw him the guy had the ball and off to the races cause he os to.slow

I.agree kos was to far over and if he was closer yes he vould have prevented the goal(hope anyway) but the.guy was in pissing distance of mert he should.have saw him coming amd covered him.better cause we all know he cant catch a cold.

if you look closely when mert turns round he's looking with a look like

'what the f**k are you doing, if he adjusts aubameyand can just adjust his run and he'd still be through. Defensive units are meant to cover all possibilities as a unit not as individuals and prioritize the more dangerous to the least. If you stop the video i posted at 5 seconds if mert goes to where aubameyang is the aubameyang can adjust his run to where mertesacker is and he's in an equally dangerous position.

Kos should have been there

criticising mertesacker because he didnt catch up makes no sense, even the quickest defender wouldnt have caught that from pers position.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Mexal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Does it matter? We have no one else to play there anyway. And for the record, he might have been at fault for the first goal, but I don't blame him for the second. The whole defense screwed up there including Szczesny. Plus, watching that game, Koscielny was by far our best defender, despite the results. It wasn't even close.
Mexal
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Mesüt wrote:see sterling counter goal from liverpool 5-1 thrashing for my response. big gap anywhere in defence can easily result in a goal. anyway I never said they were equal threats but I said that Gibbs wouldn't be in the right position either.

im glad you're really keen to shoot kos down though, don't want his ego too big from being awesome.

sterlings goal was mertesackers fault, he didnt defend the cross properly

this however is koscielnys fault and as i said

when people (including me) are prepared to scapegoat certain players when they aren't playing well it is only fair that you do it to all. Koscielny has cost us 7 points in the last 3 games, i dont think its unfair to start asking questions.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 pm

What I think is unfair is highlighting his mistakes without highlighting the good things he did. Yesterday for me, both him and Merte were poor but one of them made up for it with some good tackles, headers and composure/strength when getting the ball out of our box. The other didn't.
Koscielny is a commander who covers a lot of ground and often recovers with pace. I'm not deluded enough to think he's perfect but when he messes up he can recover where as Merte doesn't. Merte has great reading of the game but against a team full of pace he can't handle it. Merte hasn't looked sharp at any point this season yet but he and Kos have not been anywhere near as bad as players like Ozil, Ramsey, Arteta who deserve some criticism. Fair enough Kos has made some mistakes but the whole 'makes an error start a thread' is getting a bit of a joke now.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:
Swan wrote:Mert was off in lalla land for the 2nd. The guy was 5 feet from him and he juat left him.and then.he was ro f***ing slow to.catch him.

i'm sorry but this is completely untrue

the ball was on our right side and koscielny was all the way on the left side of the pitch

he was completely at fault

mert was positioned fine for the ball down the line koscielny however wasnt positioned to intercept a ball through the middle

mert having to catch aubameyang up is ludicrous to say the least a defenders job isnt to catch people up it is to prevent the danger in the first place.

As someone who has played cb at semi pro level if my cb partner was positioned where kos was positioned i'd be livid.

Maybe you can say arteta should have dropped into the space, but even then i'd say that the reason there was such a huge gap between our cbs was down to kos' woeful positioning.

There is no way i can blame Koscielnly for this goal.

Any way that goes down we were in trouble. Our left back is up field and no midfield coverage, which leaves the entire left side open with a Dortmund player in it.

If he's not picked up we're looking at a standard threaded ball through which exposes us. Kosc essentially had to cover two positions and one half side of the field by himself (the LB space and CB), the goal was scored as soon as the entered our half.

If anything there is a man with an armband running straight into the exposed space which would decent coverage but then randomly decided to stop running.The only person who could have genuinely prevented that goal.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:26 pm

When you have a DM who's a grandpa, when you have a ST who bottles sitters (oops!), when you have a star player playing like he's scared, when you have our best player from last season forgetting how to play, and when you have a manager who is hell bent on a formation even when it's not working, the least we can do is blame players who don't deserve it. We have far bigger issues to solve than nit-pick on Per or Kosc's performances.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maradonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Angelito wrote: We have far bigger issues to solve than nit-pick on Per or Kosc's performances.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:11 pm

He was our worst CB last night and his defending for the first was ridiculous.

It was the Kos of pre February 13.

Hope it's a one off
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Mesüt wrote:What I think is unfair is highlighting his mistakes without highlighting the good things he did. Yesterday for me, both him and Merte were poor but one of them made up for it with some good tackles, headers and composure/strength when getting the ball out of our box. The other didn't.
Koscielny is a commander who covers a lot of ground and often recovers with pace. I'm not deluded enough to think he's perfect but when he messes up he can recover where as Merte doesn't. Merte has great reading of the game but against a team full of pace he can't handle it. Merte hasn't looked sharp at any point this season yet but he and Kos have not been anywhere near as bad as players like Ozil, Ramsey, Arteta who deserve some criticism. Fair enough Kos has made some mistakes but the whole 'makes an error start a thread' is getting a bit of a joke now.

neither kos or mert have looked sharp to be fair

i dont like this arteta/ flamini playing as a half back rubbish formation

arteta doesnt drop quick enough on the counter and flamini has no defensive awareness

i do believe we conceded twice because of kos anyway

kos had no need to be marking immobile aas tightly in that position, had he been 5 or 10 yards further in field he would have given himself enough space to cut out a switch but more protection of the center.

I agree with omphi arteta shoud have been in the middle too but kos' positioning was still very suspect.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jelly123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:He has been our worst defender this season cost us 2 goals yesterday but it seems like people are sweeping his lackadaisical performances under the rug.

2 goals against dortmund

could have done better for navas' cross to aguero (even though i think flamini is mainly at fault)

allowed demichelis to score

refused to jump against uloa

was shown up by ba numerous times and if ba finished we might not even be in the cl.

This is thread is embarrassing. Neither Cazorla or Flamini start so you have to find someone else to moan about after yesterdays game. Suddenly every goal we concede is Konscienly's fault :rofll: Both goals had so many mistakes in its impossible to blame just 1 person. It also seems pretty unfair to try picking out every mistake a player makes and just ignore all the good he's done

Not to mention you said "failing to stop the cross was no mistake" and blamed it entirely on flamini, when i brought this up after the city match.
Jelly123
Michael Thomas

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Wtaf? Thread is about the wrong CB imo
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Popey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

our CBs are not as good as arsenal fans think they are
Last edited by Popey on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Jelly123 wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:He has been our worst defender this season cost us 2 goals yesterday but it seems like people are sweeping his lackadaisical performances under the rug.

2 goals against dortmund

could have done better for navas' cross to aguero (even though i think flamini is mainly at fault)

allowed demichelis to score

refused to jump against uloa

was shown up by ba numerous times and if ba finished we might not even be in the cl.

This is thread is embarrassing. Neither Cazorla or Flamini start so you have to find someone else to moan about after yesterdays game. Suddenly every goal we concede is Konscienly's fault :rofll: Both goals had so many mistakes in its impossible to blame just 1 person. It also seems pretty unfair to try picking out every mistake a player makes and just ignore all the good he's done

Not to mention you said "failing to stop the cross was no mistake" and blamed it entirely on flamini, when i brought this up after the city match.

or maybe i'm just being consistent

as i have said previously it seems like when the whole team performs badly people only acknowledge x scapegoat or y scapegoats performance

however in the previous game ramsey was our worst player by far and he has been one of our worst players this season barring the goals. (i'm a big ramsey fan btw but if people are going to criticise at least be consistent)

koscielny has also had a hand in the majority of the goals we've conceded due to mistakes.

Koscielny has always been known to put himself about but when he was at his worst for us his main issue were lapses in concentration which has crept up again in the games he has played this season.

You can say i'm trying to blame someone but it's quite clear that i'm not.

People on here for example aren't saying welbeck did some good plays barring his missed chances

people aren't saying ozil did some good plays barring some poor passes

(which they both did)

If people are going to slate others for not being amazing why not do the same with kos who was at fault for 2 of the goals? I would prefer if we didnt have constant threads criticizing people however if they are there why not do it fairly and not just allow the ciriticism of the in trend scapegoat?

right now we have threads on

should we sell ozil
welbeck is getting a lot of stick after 2 games
Arteta was getting a lot of stick (hence why i saw it fit to create a thread for flamini who is equally as bad)
Wilshere also has a negative thread

yet you would think that ramsey kos per etc have all been amazing when those 3 players that were key last year have all underperformed drastically this.

People keep saying its the 4141 thats causing our bad play but was it the 4141s fault that kos messed up his positioning against dortmund or allowed demichelis to score his header?

Was it the 4141s fault that per got turned by lukaku?

was it the 4141s fault that ramsey can barely string together a pass right now?

I'm not sure the formation is at fault if anything our main issue is the actual performances of our players. Ramsey, ozil, per, kos, arteta and flamini have all not beein good enough plain and simple. If we're going to have threads criticizing 1 it is only fair to do the same with the others.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jelly123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 pm

You're consistent in that you always find a single player to blame for any result.

Its not clear that you're not trying to blame someone at all.. you've blamed kos for us conceding 5 goals this season already, 1 of which you defended him about originally. Similar to what i said about the goals against City, if you break down down each goal we concede you can find multiple people who've made mistakes or who could've done some thing different to prevent the goal. To blame them purely on kos is ridiculous. its just pathetic defending all round from us.

For example, Dortmunds first goal. Why did we lose possession so easily from our own throw in? Why did Wilshire track back so half heartedly? Why did Per not close the ball when he had the chance at the half way line? why did gibbs not try making the tackle when he got back? Why didnt Kos make the tackle? Why did Schezney not make a better attempt to come out and spread himself?

Dortmunds second goal. Why was Aubameyang able to drop off Per to get so much space in the middle? why was the gap there? Why did bellerin stand so far off his man? why did per not pick him up as he ran through? why did schezney make such a pathetic attempt of coming out? why did we have 3 on 3 at the back?

Theres so many other factors in both of those goals, but as far as you're concerned they were both entirely Kos' fault. I agree he could've done better for the first, but so could many others and to lay the blame of both of them on him is ridiculous. its just a case of getting a bee in your bonnet about a player and suddenly seeing everything we do wrong as their fault

Webeck did well until he had to shoot, i've expressed this opinion and i've seen various others post comments of the same nature. Obviously some people seem to be blinkered to this and nothing he can do will be right, but i think Welbeck has begun to win a few people over.. Me included in this as i love his work rate and pace

I also think Ozil has done some good things, but i can understand fans getting frustrated with him due to the lack of effort he seems to put in. I dont think its unreasonable to at least expect our players to give it their all.

And i can understand why people will blame the formation. When so many of our players are all playing poorly i can see how the formation is causing such uproar. it seems like to much of a coincidence for them all to badly at the same time. Theres more to it than just that, but it seems like pretty reasonable conclusion to come too
Jelly123
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club