Ainsley Maitland-Niles

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (15)

Postby Zedie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Having only seen short highlights, what else did he do wrong other than not close depays cross?

Still dont really think that goal was his fault, if the ball gets past the first man theres no way it should automatically be a free header everytime.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Zedie wrote:Having only seen short highlights, what else did he do wrong other than not close depays cross?

Still dont really think that goal was his fault, if the ball gets past the first man theres no way it should automatically be a free header everytime.

He played on dembele on for the second goal. Mustafi was not at fault for that. But he is the dumbest player i seen play for arsenal
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 am

gooney wrote:
Zedie wrote:Having only seen short highlights, what else did he do wrong other than not close depays cross?

He played on dembele on for the second goal. Mustafi was not at fault for that. But he is the dumbest player i seen play for arsenal

I only saw the replay of the goal and the still and it looked like they were offside.

Either way, mustafi could have maybe caught dembele if he literally didnt run the entire half of the pitch with his arm raised like an idiot until dembele was in the box.

Its shit like this that I simply cannot overlook, it's just so bizarre. How can people still make excuses for him or still believe that he wont be a huge problem for us this season?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:06 am

I'd really like to see us bring in a right-back to rotate with Bellerin and see Maitland-Niles move into the midfield, which he looks far more comfortable in.

If we could offload Xhaka and Elneny, that'd free up room for Maitland-Niles in central midfield (even if he wasn't a starter). Having a choice of Torreira, Ceballos, Guendouzi, Willock and Maitland-Niles for those two central midfield roles doesn't look too bad, even if it's pretty inexperienced. I'm all abroad the Project Youth 2.0 hype train though.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:30 am

Callum wrote:I'd really like to see us bring in a right-back to rotate with Bellerin and see Maitland-Niles move into the midfield, which he looks far more comfortable in.

If we could offload Xhaka and Elneny, that'd free up room for Maitland-Niles in central midfield (even if he wasn't a starter). Having a choice of Torreira, Ceballos, Guendouzi, Willock and Maitland-Niles for those two central midfield roles doesn't look too bad, even if it's pretty inexperienced. I'm all abroad the Project Youth 2.0 hype train though.
Or a CB who can also cover RB. Kill two birds with one stone. Then he can cover RCB in a back three and play RB when we need a more defensive option there.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:47 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
Callum wrote:I'd really like to see us bring in a right-back to rotate with Bellerin and see Maitland-Niles move into the midfield, which he looks far more comfortable in.

Or a CB who can also cover RB. Kill two birds with one stone. Then he can cover RCB in a back three and play RB when we need a more defensive option there.

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:34 am

I have never ever seen a defender who has made as many errors in this short amount of time as he has. Its amazing how little criticism he gets. He is the absolute worst player in the first team by a mile
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 am

Tony_Adams wrote:

I'm shocked at your suggestion PG, there really aren't many quality CBs out there that also double up as fullbacks... I genuinely think the roles are just too different. You would usually see a DM more comfortable at covering CBs, and vice versa, and wingers covering fullbacks and vice versa.

The CB we need has to be an out and out CB, no questions. "Cultured" obviously, decent with the ball, which implies an ability to cover at DM... but an out and out CB nonetheless.

On AMN... I feel for the dude. Versatility can be your downfall sometimes. Not everyone can be a James Milner. The fullback role has some similarities to an all out CM, but he's losing time in his position, and looking at the squad and the youngsters coming through now, will he even get a chance at CM once Bellerin is back?

Derailed his progression completely.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm

When has he been central midfielder? He was a winger as youth player andat Ipswich.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm

gooney wrote:When has he been central midfielder? He was a winger as youth player andat Ipswich.

Whilst AMN at youth level did make the most appearances as a RM/LM, he did play a couple dozen games as CM at youth level -

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ainsley-m ... rainer_id=

He also started 17 games as DM -

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ainsley-m ... rainer_id=
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:24 pm

He was a central midfield for the Arsenal 21 team.

Here are 2016/17 stats.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ainsley ... aison=2016
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:24 pm

So couple of dozen made him a central midfielder. How is a guy who constantly give the ball away at right back gonna play in central midfield? He has the lowest football iq in the squad
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:32 pm

gooney wrote:So couple of dozen made him a central midfielder. How is a guy who constantly give the ball away at right back gonna play in central midfield? He has the lowest football iq in the squad

Says who?

It's obvious that AMN never really established himself in a specific position and has been a jack of all trades at both youth and professional level.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:36 pm

My mistake, thought he was a CM. even so, he's quite far down the pecking order. At least he's still playing wide.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 pm

gooney wrote:So couple of dozen made him a central midfielder. How is a guy who constantly give the ball away at right back gonna play in central midfield? He has the lowest football iq in the squad

So it makes sense to play him as RB despite the fact that he's spent even less time in that position compared to CM?

His regular starting position before being called up was as a CM and that earned him a call up to the first team. I really can't understand fans reluctance to see a change when it's clear that a player is struggling in a certain position.

Also, at some point questions have to be asked of the manager and coaching staff. AMN hardly has any experience as RB and you would think they know that from his record so you would think they're working with him daily to iron out the problems, right? They'll have to make a judgment call at some point to take him out of the firing line and accept they can't coach him into a better RB.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football