Ainsley Maitland-Niles

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (on loan - West Brom)

Postby KG3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Doing very well apparently.

Of course he is AMN is a top player, should be our starting right back but Arteta has his favourites unfortunately
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:41 pm

KG3 wrote:

Of course he is AMN is a top player, should be our starting right back but Arteta has his favourites unfortunately

I think the issue is Maitland-Niles has made it clear he doesn't want to play as a full-back.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:

I think the issue is Maitland-Niles has made it clear he doesn't want to play as a full-back.

Is that speculation or has there been a recent interview from him or Arteta saying he didn't want to play there?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Is that speculation or has there been a recent interview from him or Arteta saying he didn't want to play there?

It's long been speculated, and Maitland-Niles has made comments in the past indicating he wants to play in midfield. He also turned down loan moves to better sides in January so he could go to West Brom and play in midfield instead.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Callum wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:

It's long been speculated, and Maitland-Niles has made comments in the past indicating he wants to play in midfield. He also turned down loan moves to better sides in January so he could go to West Brom and play in midfield instead.

Are there any recent sources or something concrete that isn’t just speculation? Wanting to play in midfield is one thing but I find it hard to believe he's ruled himself out from playing there for Arsenal. When speaking of his move to West Brom, AMN says he's just happy to be playing regular football in the Prem. He last appeared for us in January playing RB and then LB but was dropped again after a poor performance at LB. Seems like he'll play anywhere but doesn’t have the managers backing.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Are there any recent sources or something concrete that isn’t just speculation? Wanting to play in midfield is one thing but I find it hard to believe he's ruled himself out from playing there for Arsenal. When speaking of his move to West Brom, AMN says he's just happy to be playing regular football in the Prem. He last appeared for us in January playing RB and then LB but was dropped again after a poor performance at LB. Seems like he'll play anywhere but doesn’t have the managers backing.

............ actually, there were two to three clubs wanting loan AMN, I think it was Newcastle, West Brom and Leicester.

AMN chose West Brom because the other teams wanted him to play Fullback and he didn't want to.

That's been reported in the media apparently from sources within the club / close to the deal.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:

............ actually, there were two to three clubs wanting loan AMN, I think it was Newcastle, West Brom and Leicester.

AMN chose West Brom because the other teams wanted him to play Fullback and he didn't want to.

That's been reported in the media apparently from sources within the club / close to the deal.

It's possible but I'm looking for specific quotes because papers tend to take quotes out of context and then frame it around speculation. So far I haven't seen any direct quotes about why he chose West Brom other than playing time.

Fat Sam.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... d-23453561

He's a good example to any young player because by coming here he's shown that he wants to play games, that's important to him.

“He could have gone to Leicester or Southampton and others were in for him too” says Allardyce “ but he's desperate to play and that's why we are a good fit.

AMN speaking.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... s-19780389
“It’s fantastic to have the opportunity to play regularly in the Premier League,” he told the club’s in-house media channels.

“Their messages give me the energy and the drive to keep on going every single day. We’re in a tough situation at the moment, but I wanted to be a part of the fight.

I wanted to grit my teeth and get down and dirty and see I come out of it. I want to come out on top of it and I want the club to come out on top of it.

“Hopefully I’m a player who can help this club survive in the Premier League. There’s always an opportunity. It’s about having the right structure and the right players around you.

Sam [Allardyce] has done that when you look at the last four days of the transfer window. The biggest achievement for me this season here at West Bromwich Albion would be the club staying up.

“Anything more than that and I would be chuffed. I’ve met everyone now. Everyone is very welcoming. It’s no nonsense in training. Get in and get down and dirty straight away. I can’t wait to get going.”

Playing through the middle could have been a possible motivation for joining West Brom but I think it's more so to do with Allardyce showing confidence in him. I don't think he got that reassurance from Arteta and he's been open about not being fully confident playing as fullback. I doubt he's refused to play there but we can see Arteta doesn’t rate him playing there.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:20 pm

That was it, it was Southampton not Newcastle.

Yeah no, the leak was very specific and it was said even before he signed.

Arteta wasn't keen on him going to Leicester as they are more of a league position threat but was ok with him going to Southampton however the Saints told AMN that they only want him if he'll play Fullback, AMN told West Brom that he'd only choose them if they allowed him to play CM.

............ then he chose WB and low and behold, he was playing as a CM.

The info came out before he even signed, it was while the negotiations were happening, people were saying why choose WB when they're playing crap but this was the reason.

Considering how it unfolded and the fact he is indeed playing only as a CM, I believe the reports 100%, no one has come up with any other reason of why the Southampton negotiations broke down so ubruptly when Saints were initially so keen ........... this is why.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:22 am

It’s nice to see a young player make decisions based on footballing reasons rather than money or fame. Hope he does well.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:26 pm

Arsenal's versatile 23-year-old Ainsley Maitland-Niles expects to leave the club this summer after finishing his loan spell at West Bromwich Albion. (Telegraph)
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:34 pm

Deuces.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby KG3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Fofty currently bossing it in midfield away at the bridge, WBA 3-1 up

Edit: they’re 4-1 up had the Chelsea midfield in his pocket

Need to bring our boy into the main fold next season too good to be playing behind that Spanish model and that midfield passion merchant
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:40 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Callum wrote:Best case scenario now is that he does well for West Brom and we're able to attract a bigger bid than we received from Wolves last summer. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to play in midfield for us and he doesn't seem too interested in playing as a full-back.

I pretty much echo the same sentiment apart from the issue of him having the ability to play in midfield.

In that I did use to watch a lot of those u18's & u23's video reels from AFC, I seem to remember him bossing the midfield in some games to the extent of appearing as though he was a couple of years older than the other lads on the pitch and nothing was an issue for him.

If anything, the nonchalant way he scored that winning penalty in the shoot-out merely epitomised his cool and unrushed style of play in the middle of the pitch.

Made up for the lad, easily his best outing for the Baggies to me and should allay some of the fears that he offers little beyond what they already had given some of the comments from WBATV.

MoTM performance from fofty?, no, 4 or 5 of his team mates ahead of him for that particular accolade for me, with the collective being the standout feature rather than individuals and without a doubt Chelsea were massive contributers to their own downfall. But yes, he's now stood next to a gigantic, freshly baked humble pie with napkins, a knife and spatula in his hands.

Hopefully him now having just the one direction to focus on by his apparent decision to leave permanenly in the summer, hopefully has him effectively wearing blinkers now to avoid distractions.

I've commented enough previously in quantifying his ability to play midfield but don't think his mentality was always at its best in progressing his arsenal career. Again, I don't know if enough was ever done to point out how Lauren was a solid and steady midfielder when we bought him but the pinnacle of his career came about from him appreciating that the best thing for the TEAM was to have him play at right back.

Would I still look to play him in midfield for arsenal ahead of the likes of Smith-Rowe, Saka, Odegaard, Guendouzi, Azeez, no I definitely wouldn't and even those like Ceballos, Elneny and Xhaka that I wish to replace I'd still have had ahead of him in the pecking order, simple as.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 am

Has to partner partey in midfield
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Dump Ceballos at the end of the season and put AMN in CM.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football