Alex Iwobi

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Iwobi (17)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm

I wouldn't. Rosicky and Cazorla were CMs, the fact they were sometimes played wide I guess shows versatility, but we never saw the best of Rosicky until he was more central.

Iwobi hugs the touchline far more than Hleb and Nasri ever did, in fact Hleb was fairly central. Nasri's first thought was not to run with the ball, Hleb, Rosicky and Iwobi all had that mindset - although I will concede that Iwobi doesn't actually play like an out and out winger at times.

Raheem Sterling has improved his shooting, well, the stats say he has, his tekkers is dodgy as f**k though which is why he misses so many good chances. I think what he has improved is the positions he gets in, typically for tap-ins.

Can Iwobi improve his shooting?? Surely he should be able to!! Surely with enough training and repetition he should be able to strike the ball with the 3 parts of the foot that enable an inside curl, a dead straight shot and an outside curl. f**k me if I can do them and get good contact and I don't train every day he must be able to do them. So why can't he???
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Pep told Txixi to sign Sterling while Pellegrini was still the boss. Such was the potential Pep saw in him and it's paid off. Sterling has been proper world class since the start of 17-18.

Nobody has seen that in Iwobi. He was decent at 19 when Wenger was slowly moving him into squad rotation, but he's been Gervinho 2.0 as a first XI player.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:22 pm

55 touches of the ball last night apparently. No dribbles. Not a single one! For a wide player? No aerial duels won, not a single tackle made, and one, flimsy powder-puff shot that didn’t even trouble the keeper.

This useless waste of space is the epitome of the dross left behind by Wenger, and anyone who is still optimistic about him becoming anything other than average is deluded.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:44 am

Phil71 wrote:55 touches of the ball last night apparently. No dribbles. Not a single one! For a wide player? No aerial duels won, not a single tackle made, and one, flimsy powder-puff shot that didn’t even trouble the keeper.

This useless waste of space is the epitome of the dross left behind by Wenger, and anyone who is still optimistic about him becoming anything other than average is deluded.

For those wondering, yes this is absolute bollocks. The only way to use statistics to criticize Iwobi this season is to narrow in on specific performances instead of looking at his performances as a whole.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Hope we sell this useless chicken

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Sun May 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Hall of shame cameo from Iwobi
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Nuggets » Sun May 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Still fooking shite and some people still defend him.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Losmeister » Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm

i don't think there is a chance he makes the next step any longer...

my eyes tell me different
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Tue May 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Fine as cover at his current skill set

If he can elevate his game to the next level with end product only then should he play as many games as he has this season
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Losmeister wrote:i don't think there is a chance he makes the next step any longer...

Yeah if you're a professional footballer who is incapable of shooting with your laces then you aren't making it to the next level.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Losmeister » Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Losmeister wrote:i don't think there is a chance he makes the next step any longer...

Yeah if you're a professional footballer who is incapable of shooting with your laces then you aren't making it to the next level.

someways back someone was mentione feo... by the time feo was iwobis age he was scoring goals ...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Raheem’s arguably top 10 wingers in the World and he can’t put his laces through it, just about getting in the right place at the right time

Iwobi won’t be anywhere near as good but he can be a progressive player from midfield

Surprised we haven’t tried him out in a deeper role as he’s pretty industrious, strong, great dribbler and can push the ball up the quick

Just not really a natural fit as a winger in a side who doesn’t have room for a non-contributing winger
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue May 07, 2019 6:10 pm

The man can't score and he must think he is Ozil Jr given how he drifts in and out of games now.

The Wenger curse continues...he loved Iwobi over Gnabry. He loved Ozil over Ramsey.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Tue May 07, 2019 6:15 pm

Lol what Arsene loved Ramsey

Injuries just didn’t love him
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Power n Glory » Tue May 07, 2019 6:41 pm

Sims wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Raheem’s arguably top 10 wingers in the World and he can’t put his laces through it, just about getting in the right place at the right time

Iwobi won’t be anywhere near as good but he can be a progressive player from midfield

Surprised we haven’t tried him out in a deeper role as he’s pretty industrious, strong, great dribbler and can push the ball up the quick

Just not really a natural fit as a winger in a side who doesn’t have room for a non-contributing winger

We're thinking along the same lines about him playing a deeper role. Seems like he'd be more suited to linking the attack and defence since we've been so poor in that area.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football