Alex Iwobi

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Iwobi (17)

Postby Manoban » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Hoped Emery would be more ruthless

Basically awarding failure by extending Iwobi, Wilshere style
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby KG3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Yago wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Santi wrote:Nothing wrong with giving him a new deal, you'd all moan if he didn't get one then went good and we lost him for a low value or free.m

He signs, we have all the options if he does well and the exact same options if he does bad. We can always let him go for free if he's that shit.

Not really just means that he wasn't the right player for our team/system/league look at Gervinho for instance was better than Hazard in France not the best here and tore it up in Italy.

Lol, he really wasn't. He was a good enough player for Lille, but Hazard alone carried that team to their league title. There's a reason he was awarded player of the year in consecutive seasons. He was head and shoulders above anyone in Ligue 1, and Gervinho didn't even come into consideration.

2010-11 Ligue 1

Gervinho 15 goals 9 assists (Lille)

Hazard 7 goals 9 assists (Lille)

Ligue 1 player of the year Nene (PSG)

Ligue 1 Player of the year Sakho (PSG)
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yago » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 pm

10 assists for Hazard from what I can see. And I don't know where you get your info from but you're wrong. Hazard won young player of the year in 08/09 and 09/10 and player of the year in 10/11 and 11/12. Everyone who watched those Lille games will be able to tell you that everything they did came through Hazard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_1_P ... f_the_Year
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Jedi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Manoban wrote:Hoped Emery would be more ruthless

Maybe Emery thinks he can cure early stages of Wengeritis in Iwobi as he's only 22?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:Nothing wrong with giving him a new deal, you'd all moan if he didn't get one then went good and we lost him for a low value or free.

He signs, we have all the options if he does well and the exact same options if he does bad. We can always let him go for free if he's that shit.

It wouldn't be for free, we would have to pay up his contract first.

I meant you can literally sell him for £0. Not that it'd ever get that bad.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Yago wrote:10 assists for Hazard from what I can see. And I don't know where you get your info from but you're wrong. Hazard won young player of the year in 08/09 and 09/10 and player of the year in 10/11 and 11/12. Everyone who watched those Lille games will be able to tell you that everything they did came through Hazard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_1_P ... f_the_Year

This.

Gervinho played as a wide forward alongside Sow and would stay high up the field.

Hazard, despite playing as left midfielder, would drop deep and start attacks out from the back after receiving the ball from centre backs Chedjou/Rami or holding midfielders Balmont/Mavuba.

Mavuba was a fine, high-energy holding midfielder and was to Lille what Kante is to Chelsea.

Balmont was a short, feisty little bull dog. Very similar in style to Mathieu Flamini.

Cabaye was the all-rounder who, just like Hazard, linked midfield to attack.

Most oppositions knew they couldn't afford to give Hazard any space and would try to crowd him out by surrounding him with 3-4 players, which in turn created tons of space for Sow and Gervinho to exploit.

It didn't really come as a surprise when both Sow's/Gervinho's output started to drop drastically after they moved to an environment where they didn't have as much space.

Not to mention the incredible solo goals Hazard scored, out of nowhere, like this left footed thunderbolt against prime Mandanda -

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Manoban wrote:Hoped Emery would be more ruthless

Either that or Arsenal are trying to get some money from him, he was free so even 10m is a great return.

Also .......... I really don't think Emery is in charge of contract extensions, the plan probably is Gazidis wants him to train Iwobi up a bit before they sell him to make some profit, either that or he succeeds, either way they win so I can see the reasoning behind it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Why doesn't Iwobi get the same chance under a new manager as everyone else?

I've slagged him as much as the next guy but he's young and so far only been under a Wenger pussy regime where nobody is challenged to be better. Think he will surprise people.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 pm

the flaws iwobi has can easily be rectified with a fresh start

i think everyone went severely overboard with the criticism of him to begin with tbh, hes literally just turned 22, hes done more than deserve a chance for me
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby ESR10 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Maybe I'm too harsh on him, but I don't see how he can benefit us next season.

He's way worse than Auba, Laca, Mkhi, Özil, Ramsey and not better than Perez or even Lord Welbeck.

If his contract is extended so that he can be loaned out, I would understand. But keeping him? He would only get some odd league cup or EL games. Better for him and us, if he played a season elsewhere.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Pudpop » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 am

Mustafi wrote:Maybe I'm too harsh on him, but I don't see how he can benefit us next season.

He's way worse than Auba, Laca, Mkhi, Özil, Ramsey and not better than Perez or even Lord Welbeck.

If his contract is extended so that he can be loaned out, I would understand. But keeping him? He would only get some odd league cup or EL games. Better for him and us, if he played a season elsewhere.
1. He's much better than Welbeck
2. He's homegrown and from our academy
3. Not every players needs to be a first team regular.

Gibbs might not have been the greatest arsenal player of his generation but he cost us nothing and got a job done as a squaddie.

Also, I don't think I need to point out how much Ramsey has improved in the last 6 years since he was Iwobi's age. And Iwobi has shown just as much talent as Ramsey did back then.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 am

Santi wrote:Why doesn't Iwobi get the same chance under a new manager as everyone else?

I've slagged him as much as the next guy but he's young and so far only been under a Wenger pussy regime where nobody is challenged to be better. Think he will surprise people.

inshallah :hail:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:45 am

Lets hope he gets his act together under the new boss, if he doesn't then just get rid.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 am

Sims wrote:the flaws iwobi has can easily be rectified with a fresh start

i think everyone went severely overboard with the criticism of him to begin with tbh, hes literally just turned 22, hes done more than deserve a chance for me

I think the flaws of Iwobi's game are related to the way he thinks on the pitch, which are incredibly hard to correct.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ESR10 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Mustafi wrote:Maybe I'm too harsh on him, but I don't see how he can benefit us next season.

1. He's much better than Welbeck
2. He's homegrown and from our academy
3. Not every players needs to be a first team regular.

Gibbs might not have been the greatest arsenal player of his generation but he cost us nothing and got a job done as a squaddie.

Also, I don't think I need to point out how much Ramsey has improved in the last 6 years since he was Iwobi's age. And Iwobi has shown just as much talent as Ramsey did back then.

Nothing against a good squad player, who gets the odd game now or then, but how would that help Iwobi to improve? Specially at 22, he's at an age in which he should play more regular. I don't think we should offer him that. He has too many flaws.
Let him improve on a loan elsewhere and then return to us, if he got better imo.
Keeping him won't help to know if he's gonna make it or not.
ESR10

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football