Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 am

Salibatelli wrote:Heard a stat that he’s had 2 goals and 1 assist in 2022.

Not exactly mindblowing, still not entirely convinced about his contribution to the team.

Remember when people were claiming Arteta had developed him - when he scored those couple of goals :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 am

Santi wrote:Soon as partey went down he turned to shit

This.

2 things, the first is that, like Ozil, Odegaard needs a platform to be able to play, its no surprise that without Partey Odegaard has been ineffective. for the most years I made the exact same argument about Ozil needing someone like Partey behind him, to give him the platform to be able to play his natural game. I have no problem with it, I had no problem with it with Ozil. Give them the tools they need and watch them perform. Ozil never got that platform, that platform has been taken away from Odegaard now.

Secondly, it shows the limitation of Arteta and the one trickness of the pony. One player is unavailable and the team falls to pieces.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Wed May 18, 2022 8:32 am

Santi wrote:Soon as partey went down he turned to shit

For certain.
Xhaka and Elneny only managed to pass the ball to him 6 times against Newcastle. Six.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby KG3 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:48 am

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:He has been a ghost. Terrible player.

I never wanted him tbh. didnt impress me one bit on loan
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:19 am

Reiss wrote:We must have the most bipolar fan base ever

1 good game = he's good
1 bad game = he's terrible

That applies to every player
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 18, 2022 11:29 am

Let's try to remember that the most realistic alternative was a 3rd season of Dani Ceballos.

We were never in for Bruno G; I doubt we would have accepted his wage demands. He was available in the summer as well, but we put in bids for Locatelli instead. Even in Jan we were trying for Arthur, a player Juventus badly wants to get rid of.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 18, 2022 11:53 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Let's try to remember that the most realistic alternative was a 3rd season of Dani Ceballos.

We were never in for Bruno G; I doubt we would have accepted his wage demands. He was available in the summer as well, but we put in bids for Locatelli instead. Even in Jan we were trying for Arthur, a player Juventus badly wants to get rid of.

I'm thankful we paid a small fee for him and not the £60m as first reported. That's a good price for him. But he really needs to toughen up and stop hiding from the ball. He was one of the reasons why we couldn't beat Newcastle's press. He wasn't making himself available and couldn't cope with the aggressive pressing. A lot of a more light and technical players were taking too long on the ball and getting clattered. Next season we really have to work on the one touch passing in training. Ode needs to work on being able to evade aggressive pressing and not cowering away from the middle when it's tough.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am

Could've had Maddison

More end product
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Wed May 18, 2022 12:31 pm

He’s a very good player. I don’t understand how people don’t see that. He’s in a new league and working with a new team and manager and will need some time to fully show his talent. But he’s technically fantastic, creative in his thinking, links up well and is hardy enough for the league. We need more players like him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 18, 2022 12:48 pm

swipe right wrote:He’s a very good player. I don’t understand how people don’t see that. He’s in a new league and working with a new team and manager and will need some time to fully show his talent. But he’s technically fantastic, creative in his thinking, links up well and is hardy enough for the league. We need more players like him.

He is technically sound but we need him to have a bigger influence on the game. If you rematch just the Newcastle game, you'll see what I mean. I think it's more of a mental and development thing. He has to get tougher and not allow opponents to bully him off his game.

We've been playing more of a 4-3-3 lately and Saka often being isolated comes back to Odegaard not being available for the inside pass. That partnership needs to be stronger. ESR and Saka had that understanding when played close together.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed May 18, 2022 12:54 pm

I like the guy but we need end product

Not another Santi
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Wed May 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Ach wrote:I like the guy but we need end product

Not another Santi

Cazorla would be good because he could beat the press when played in a deeper role.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 18, 2022 1:53 pm

We had that period when he clicked into gear and was bossing things, we lost Partey .. that all stopped.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed May 18, 2022 2:13 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Not another Santi

Cazorla would be good because he could beat the press when played in a deeper role.

And then pass sideways
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Wed May 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Not another Santi

Yeah the man you quoted is just an idiot.

Odegaard has played very Ozil like for the last 2 months, couldn't see a better comparison than that. Not at the same quality technically (mesut was unbelievable) but his style is similar and his ability to completely vanish, particularly in a tough away game, is the same.

Hopefully isn't made our captain but I do really like the guy as a player, he's a proper Arsenal player at least and we've missed that for years.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk