Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Attacking players are supposed to be difference makers, Odegaard plays too safe like a f***ing centre back playing in an attacking position.

Might be some blame on the manager for that as well as players seem generally afraid to take too many risks but god I find this player so dull and uninspiring, even when he scores.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:06 pm

That tackle is why I never want to see him as a CM or DLP. He is a liability in defensive situations, but that's because he is a forward!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:19 pm

I think the reason Odegaard plays so many safe passes is because he rarely has options so inevitably he plays the most obvious pass. When players make a run and Odegaard is facing the right way he will play the pass. Im glad he doesn't try those eye of the needle passes through 5 players, you know, those Hollywood passes.

But I think he needs more options when he is on the ball, to get the most out of him.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Think he has a good dribble in tight places and a decent eye for goal. Needs a bit of speed and confidence to make runs at the opposition.
ESR has the last two qualities in plenty. So he's getting more success.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think the reason Odegaard plays so many safe passes is because he rarely has options so inevitably he plays the most obvious pass. When players make a run and Odegaard is facing the right way he will play the pass. Im glad he doesn't try those eye of the needle passes through 5 players, you know, those Hollywood passes.

But I think he needs more options when he is on the ball, to get the most out of him.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

Our wide players are two wide, they are't in a 3 in front of Ode they are to his side, the only one ahead of him is Auba.

A CAM is only as good as his options and in our set up his options are too limited, so we get the old sideways, backwards passing.

Ask yourself, Auba is up front alone surrounded by CB's ......... who would you pass to?

This is very straight forward sht and yet Arteta.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:53 pm

It's a timing issue. It's not as if Ode gets the ball and he is the furthest player forward along with a marked Auba and is forced square. In most cases, It's him whose MIA when the ball breaks forward. If you watch when Saka, ESR, Pepe,Martinelli or Auba touch the ball, they're often isolated with 3 or 4 players surrounding them. He's not linking play and causes a problem.

Play Lacazette in that role and he helps to link play. When ESR played that role he helped to link play. U know our two CM's aren't great but Odegaard adds to a problem and instead of solving it.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:09 pm

I kinda agree PNG but then the manager needs to tell Odegaard to stay further forward, instead of tracking back to the penalty box and making stupid tackles. We don't want him there. When we break we want Odegaard to be one of our furthest players forward so he can get the ball and release one of the forwards.

No point him coming so deep that when we break Odegaard is MIA because play overtook him. Picture that World Cup that buss Ozil, he was the one receiving the ball on the break and bringing the ball forward at pace.

If we continually have to wait for Odegaard to get into an offensive position the opposing team have time to get everyone back and Odegaard's options are limited. You have to play players in a way that suits their game. Its the wrong tactics from Arteta.

ESR can shine irrespective because his is a game of simplicity, you can't stop him playing his game. Odegaard dropping deep is pointless.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:25 pm

theHotHead wrote:I kinda agree PNG but then the manager needs to tell Odegaard to stay further forward, instead of tracking back to the penalty box and making stupid tackles. We don't want him there. When we break we want Odegaard to be one of our furthest players forward so he can get the ball and release one of the forwards.

No point him coming so deep that when we break Odegaard is MIA because play overtook him. Picture that World Cup that buss Ozil, he was the one receiving the ball on the break and bringing the ball forward at pace.

If we continually have to wait for Odegaard to get into an offensive position the opposing team have time to get everyone back and Odegaard's options are limited. You have to play players in a way that suits their game. Its the wrong tactics from Arteta.

ESR can shine irrespective because his is a game of simplicity, you can't stop him playing his game. Odegaard dropping deep is pointless.

I think it's an Odegaard trait to drop deep. Even when he stays high up the pitch, he gets clattered and that's why he's dropping off. The few moments where he is high up the pitch and plays in the flick or pass, it doesn't come off. He's neither quick enough or strong enough as well. I don't think it's a tactical thing because we won't see Lacazette or ESR play this way if dropped in to play there.

Also, who drops out of the team to accommodate Odegaard? Auba is a runner and just looks to make runs all game but doesn't get the ball from Odegaard. If can drop Auba but Lacazette is more a link player than a runner. ESR and Saka are also young first team starters who are more link players as well and I can't see either or them getting dropped unless Pepe or Martinelli really step it up.

We really don't have many players to really accommodate him at the moment. He'll have to gel with what we have or get dropped again.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:22 pm

completely average player.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:40 pm

PNG I agree, so it begs the question why the hell did Arteta buy him?!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:PNG I agree, so it begs the question why the hell did Arteta buy him?!

No idea. I'm just glad we didn't pay £60m+ for him. I thought we were going to play ESR as the 10 since he signed a new deal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:42 pm

To lite for this league, needs some bloody scrappers which is why ESR is twice the better option
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby KG3 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:34 am

Santi wrote:As I said before, between him and Partey we have wasted 75m. Add in Pepe and that’s 150m blown on shit.

Throw white in there and that’s 200M
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk