Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Not sure what we do with this guy. Awful performance.

The club is full of kids, he has no senior creative midfielders to learn from.

Lacazette is probably a better playmaker than Odegaard at the moment. He could learn a few tricks from him.

Ode needs to learn quickly. I'm just glad we didn't pay a high fee for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Lacazette is probably a better playmaker than Odegaard at the moment. He could learn a few tricks from him.

Yep Laca was successfully used as makeshift CAM in a couple of games last season before ESR came back from injury.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:05 pm

Bring ozil back. Let odegaard and ESR learn from the master

But no. Arteta would rather they learn from Willian last season and thus we get Willian performances

I like this guy but he was bad today
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:31 pm

A total passenger, I find this guy enormously underwhelming, sometimes does something good but then coasts for a few games and you barely see him.

IMO we should have spent that money on Aouar based on what we’ve seen so far since he arrived last season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 am

Power n Glory wrote:

After seeing how we looked in a 4-4-2/ 4-4-1-1, then seeing how we lost some a bit of our rhythm and conceded once Odegaard was on and playing a 4-2-3-1....I'm not sure where we go with this kid. He definitely needs to hold a bench for a while. Needs to develop physically and be brave enough to find those spaces in the final third and play closer to the attackers, not dropping deep in line with the CM's to pick the ball up from the semi circle.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am

What a waste of money there’s a reason he flopped at Real Madrid
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:33 am

Ceballos says hi
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:41 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

After seeing how we looked in a 4-4-2/ 4-4-1-1, then seeing how we lost some a bit of our rhythm and conceded once Odegaard was on and playing a 4-2-3-1....I'm not sure where we go with this kid. He definitely needs to hold a bench for a while. Needs to develop physically and be brave enough to find those spaces in the final third and play closer to the attackers, not dropping deep in line with the CM's to pick the ball up from the semi circle.

This is my worry, I think Arteta ideally wants to play 4-2-3-1 with Ode in the 10.

I'd rather we played a flat 4-3-3 with Ode as CM flanked by Partey and Lokonga so he can look up and see 3x attackers in front of him like what Liverpool do with Mane, Jota & Salah.

Then he'll have attacking options, right now he looks up and just see's a marked Auba, that's why he goes sideways and backwards.

The thing is when Laca is in the 10, when he looks up and see's Auba marked he just takes the ball up front himself because he's also a striker, hence why for me its a better balance unless we play 4-3-3 then Ode can fit into midfield.

The whole issue is Arteta favoring a 4-2-3-1 like a tw*t when he doesn't have a sizable target man CF in the team, hence why it doesn't work for the strikers we have.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:20 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

This is my worry, I think Arteta ideally wants to play 4-2-3-1 with Ode in the 10.

I'd rather we played a flat 4-3-3 with Ode as CM flanked by Partey and Lokonga so he can look up and see 3x attackers in front of him like what Liverpool do with Mane, Jota & Salah.

Then he'll have attacking options, right now he looks up and just see's a marked Auba, that's why he goes sideways and backwards.

The thing is when Laca is in the 10, when he looks up and see's Auba marked he just takes the ball up front himself because he's also a striker, hence why for me its a better balance unless we play 4-3-3 then Ode can fit into midfield.

The whole issue is Arteta favoring a 4-2-3-1 like a tw*t when he doesn't have a sizable target man CF in the team, hence why it doesn't work for the strikers we have.

I'm not sure if it's a formation thing because we tried a 4-3-3 with Ode and he's been just as bad or worse. He tends to drop deep or move out to wide positions anyway, attempting to take the ball off Partey or Lokonga's feet. There are usually three players ahead of him in ESR, Auba and Saka and he should be the link player connecting the attackers and playing them through but he's not feeding any of them or providing the support. He doesn't make runs into the box, carry the ball into the final third and just isn't a goal threats so he's not helping to free up more space for the attackers.

ESR is the opposite, when he plays as the 10, despite not being that good at killer through balls either and drifting into wide areas to find space, he'll find those connections between the striker, winger and overlapping fullback. He'll make those runs into the box and is actually a goal threat. He's not as passive and as Odegaard and is more aggressive with his attacks. I wouldn't mind seeing ESR and Saka playing the 8 roles in a 4-3-3 because both are versatile enough. We see how Pep has used similar players like Silva, Bernado Silva, KdB as 8's in a 4-3-3.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:19 pm

He's wank.

Him and Partey are a combined waste of 75m imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm

He doesn't fit our formation, which brings into question why he was signed at all.

But our formation itself is unbalanced as it's overly defensive and doesn't create a lot of chances. We play 2 CMs that are defensively oriented and focused on cycling the ball around and maintaining possession. Every attack comes from Saka or ESR on the wings, sometimes with fullbacks overlapping to add depth up front.

There's no room for a CM to join the attack, they are at the halfway line protecting the CBs. We no longer have the kind of situations where a player like Ramsey could pop up in the 18-yd box to grab a loose ball. Now the rule is to pass it back to Partey so he can push it out wide again.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:07 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:He doesn't fit our formation, which brings into question why he was signed at all.

But our formation itself is unbalanced as it's overly defensive and doesn't create a lot of chances. We play 2 CMs that are defensively oriented and focused on cycling the ball around and maintaining possession. Every attack comes from Saka or ESR on the wings, sometimes with fullbacks overlapping to add depth up front.

There's no room for a CM to join the attack, they are at the halfway line protecting the CBs. We no longer have the kind of situations where a player like Ramsey could pop up in the 18-yd box to grab a loose ball. Now the rule is to pass it back to Partey so he can push it out wide again.

Yes it does.
Whilst we had an awful first 3 games - since then our creativity is 4th in the league.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:34 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:He doesn't fit our formation, which brings into question why he was signed at all.

Yes it does.
Whilst we had an awful first 3 games - since then our creativity is 4th in the league.

This is the formation we were using in those first 3 games, since Crystal Palace he was using 4-4-1-1 up till yesterday, so its not been chance creation all from 4-2-3-1.

I can't understand why Arteta can't see that our strikers are struggling with that formation and doesn't amend it, his back 4 is fine, just amend the formation so Auba and Laca can flourish.

If those two aren't scoring we're literally relying on moments of brilliance that may or may not come.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:35 pm

I can't understand why we pushed to bring him in. He's far too reserved with his style of play and needs to be more active. Arteta Will need to sit him down for a few more games and have a word with him. If you look at the two goals we scored, it's Saka, ESR and Tavaras combining for the first. Second goal is White pushing forward, playing it to Tomiyasu who then plays it into Martinelli. Central midfield need improving on attack.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:13 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Yes it does.

Looooooooool, but even with our amazing 9 game unbeaten run we still have a negative goal difference :rofll:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk