Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 pm

Zenith wrote:
theHothead wrote:Image

Zenith,what are you doing?? Those stats were brought in specifically to make Ozil look good and we all know that Chances Created was a metric created by Ozil's family

Özil 1st for winning possesion in the final third?

Prime Özil had many qualities, but off-the ball anticipation wasn't one of them. In fact, it was probably his biggest weakness.

Ødegaard is Ødegaard. He isn't perfect, but he too is a player with many qualities.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:51 pm

He hasn't been good today.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Power n Glory wrote:He hasn't been good today.

Agreed.

Ødegaard always needed a run of competitive games to get to his best level. His drops in form always happened after the international breaks. Something he has to work on and improve upon.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 pm

Was OK in parts, but failed to dominate the midfield.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:55 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:We need him to focus on creating chances and moving the ball to the attacker quickly. Being captain kills everybody's performance level. Only Xhaka seems immune
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Ødegaard always needed a run of competitive games to get to his best level. His drops in form always happened after the international breaks. Something he has to work on and improve upon.

I thought he was too passive for large chunks last season and not just after breaks. Also needs to find some scoring form.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 pm

Underwhelming today, he’s very hit and miss, has a good game and and then a few average ones.

Came off which is unusual as the captain.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

I thought he was too passive for large chunks last season and not just after breaks. Also needs to find some scoring form.

Predominantly after international breaks, imo. He had many good games last season, but it's not being mentioned very often on here, which is disappointing.

Anyway...

What frustrated me the most today is Ødegaard's decision-making in the final third, which is normally one of his strong points. He tried to set up Martinelli (or was it Jesus?) when the goal was gaping for the shot. He only had the keeper to beat from a great position inside the box, which even allowed him to pick a corner. It's not as if he's a bad finisher, which made his decision all the more strange. Perhaps his low assist tally last season is in the back of his mind and had an influence on his decision? Just speculating, of course.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 pm

He works so hard and sometimes I feel that gets him ahead in people's mind.

He need to be more aggressive in his attacking play especially when it comes to shooting.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 pm

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Predominantly after international breaks, imo. He had many good games last season, but it's not being mentioned very often on here, which is disappointing.

Anyway...

What frustrated me the most today is Ødegaard's decision-making in the final third, which is normally one of his strong points. He tried to set up Martinelli (or was it Jesus?) when the goal was gaping for the shot. He only had the keeper to beat from a great position inside the box, which even allowed him to pick a corner. It's not as if he's a bad finisher, which made his decision all the more strange. Perhaps his low assist tally last season is in the back of his mind and had an influence on his decision? Just speculating, of course.

I disagree on the international games part. It's not just the odd game after the international break. A lot of players underperformed towards the end of last season but Odegaard was really disappointing to watch. He couldn't effect the game and seemed passive.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 pm

Shoot ffs
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:18 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Anyway...

I disagree on the international games part. It's not just the odd game after the international break. A lot of players underperformed towards the end of last season but Odegaard was really disappointing to watch. He couldn't effect the game and seemed passive.

I did say predominantly, not exclusively. Also, I didn't say he needs one game, but several games after each international break to reach his best level. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any lesser games when there hasn't been a break, but there's a recurring pattern. Again, not an excuse, and it's something he'll have to improve upon. The same goes for Partey, albeit not to the same extent. His drops in performance are more fitness-related.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Anyway...

I did say predominantly, not exclusively. Also, I didn't say he needs one game, but several games after each international break to reach his best level. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any lesser games when there hasn't been a break, but there's a recurring pattern. Again, not an excuse, and it's something he'll have to improve upon. The same goes for Partey, albeit not to the same extent. His drops in performance are more fitness-related.

How many international breaks are there through the season? It's 3 or 4 international breaks scattered through the season. To be bad fo several games after each one is what I mean. It's quite a hefty chunk of games.

Partey was also poor today. The Palace fans were on him today so not sure where he is mentally.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Anyway...

How many international breaks are there through the season? It's 3 or 4 international breaks scattered through the season. To be bad fo several games after each one is what I mean. It's quite a hefty chunk of games.

Partey was also poor today. The Palace fans were on him today so not sure where he is mentally.

That's what I said though, so I'm not sure why you disagreed with that intiially. :lol: :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:48 pm

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Agreed.

Anyway...

I did say predominantly. I did say predominantly, not exclusively. Also, I didn't say he needs one game, but several games after each international break to reach his best level. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any lesser games when there hasn't been a break, but there's a recurring pattern. Again, not an excuse, and it's something he'll have to improve upon. The same goes for Partey, albeit not to the same extent. His drops in performance are more fitness-related.

That's what I said though, so I'm not sure why you disagreed with that initially. :lol: :Peace:

Because to have a run of 4 or 5 games throughout the season where you're passive and just a few good games here and there.. ..even if they come after the international break, I wouldn't necessarily connect that poor run to international football. I wasn't thrilled with his season and hoping he can step it up this season or step aside.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk