Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:56 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:He hasn't been good today.

Agreed.

Ødegaard always needed a run of competitive games to get to his best level. His drops in form always happened after the international breaks. Something he has to work on and improve upon.

I thought he was too passive for large chunks last season and not just after breaks. Also needs to find some scoring form.

Predominantly after international breaks, imo. He had many good games last season, but it's not being mentioned very often on here, which is disappointing.

Anyway...

What frustrated me the most today is Ødegaard's decision-making in the final third, which is normally one of his strong points. He tried to set up Martinelli (or was it Jesus?) when the goal was gaping for the shot. He only had the keeper to beat from a great position inside the box, which even allowed him to pick a corner. It's not as if he's a bad finisher, which made his decision all the more strange. Perhaps his low assist tally last season is in the back of his mind and had an influence on his decision? Just speculating, of course.

I disagree on the international games part. It's not just the odd game after the international break. A lot of players underperformed towards the end of last season but Odegaard was really disappointing to watch. He couldn't effect the game and seemed passive.

I did say predominantly, not exclusively. Also, I didn't say he needs one game, but several games after each international break to reach his best level. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any lesser games when there hasn't been a break, but there's a recurring pattern. Again, not an excuse, and it's something he'll have to improve upon. The same goes for Partey, albeit not to the same extent. His drops in performance are more fitness-related.

How many international breaks are there through the season? It's 3 or 4 international breaks scattered through the season. To be bad fo several games after each one is what I mean. It's quite a hefty chunk of games.

Partey was also poor today. The Palace fans were on him today so not sure where he is mentally.

That's what I said though, so I'm not sure why you disagreed with that initially. :lol: :Peace:

Because to have a run of 4 or 5 games throughout the season where you're passive and just a few good games here and there.. ..even if they come after the international break, I wouldn't necessarily connect that poor run to international football. I wasn't thrilled with his season and hoping he can step it up this season or step aside.

It's impossible to prove, but most would agree the difference in intensity of your average NL/Euros/WC qualifier is signficantly lower than is the case in your average Premier League match. (Hence Xhaka usually looks way better for Switzerland than he does for us.) Just feel that difference in intensity and shift in focus can affect certain players' level of performance. But, again, even if the pattern is there with certain players, it's impossible to prove conclusively.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:He hasn't been good today.

Agreed.

Ødegaard always needed a run of competitive games to get to his best level. His drops in form always happened after the international breaks. Something he has to work on and improve upon.

I thought he was too passive for large chunks last season and not just after breaks. Also needs to find some scoring form.

Predominantly after international breaks, imo. He had many good games last season, but it's not being mentioned very often on here, which is disappointing.

Anyway...

What frustrated me the most today is Ødegaard's decision-making in the final third, which is normally one of his strong points. He tried to set up Martinelli (or was it Jesus?) when the goal was gaping for the shot. He only had the keeper to beat from a great position inside the box, which even allowed him to pick a corner. It's not as if he's a bad finisher, which made his decision all the more strange. Perhaps his low assist tally last season is in the back of his mind and had an influence on his decision? Just speculating, of course.

I disagree on the international games part. It's not just the odd game after the international break. A lot of players underperformed towards the end of last season but Odegaard was really disappointing to watch. He couldn't effect the game and seemed passive.

I did say predominantly, not exclusively. Also, I didn't say he needs one game, but several games after each international break to reach his best level. That doesn't mean he doesn't have any lesser games when there hasn't been a break, but there's a recurring pattern. Again, not an excuse, and it's something he'll have to improve upon. The same goes for Partey, albeit not to the same extent. His drops in performance are more fitness-related.

How many international breaks are there through the season? It's 3 or 4 international breaks scattered through the season. To be bad fo several games after each one is what I mean. It's quite a hefty chunk of games.

Partey was also poor today. The Palace fans were on him today so not sure where he is mentally.

That's what I said though, so I'm not sure why you disagreed with that initially. :lol: :Peace:

Because to have a run of 4 or 5 games throughout the season where you're passive and just a few good games here and there.. ..even if they come after the international break, I wouldn't necessarily connect that poor run to international football. I wasn't thrilled with his season and hoping he can step it up this season or step aside.

It's impossible to prove, but most would agree the difference in intensity between your average NL/Euros/WC qualifier is signficantly lower than is the case in your average Premier League match. (Hence Xhaka usually looks way better for Switzerland than he does for us.) Just feel that difference in intensity and shift in focus can affect certain players' level of performance. But, again, even if the pattern is there with certain players, it's impossible to prove conclusively.

You could be right and it is difficult to prove but it doesn't really matter if there is a link because international football will always be there. If there are 4 breaks international breaks in the season and it takes him 4 or 5 games to get back to his level, that could be 16-20 games where he's underperforming which is what I mean about a large chunk. He played 40 games last season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 am

Ach wrote:Shoot ffs
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:18 am

Zenith wrote:
Zenith wrote:
theHothead wrote:Image

Zenith,what are you doing?? Those stats were brought in specifically to make Ozil look good and we all know that Chances Created was a metric created by Ozil's family

Özil 1st for winning possesion in the final third?

Prime Özil had many qualities, but off-the ball anticipation wasn't one of them. In fact, it was probably his biggest weakness.

Ødegaard is Ødegaard. He isn't perfect, but he too is a player with many qualities.

I was talking specifically about Chances Created bro, lest I have to remind you of the Ozil debates
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:26 am

Dare I say it, its all well and good running back to defend, but if you are not creating shit you are not doing your job.

I said before, Ozil needed a platform to be able to perform, I think Odegaard needs one too, to a lesser extent. I want to see him freed from his defensive duties so he can focus solely on being creative and dangerous - no point producing moments of magic near the centre circle, we need him to produce them in the final third!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:31 am

He was very dissapointing this game but we won so its all good. The decision not to shoot was mental but i is what it is.

Part of being a young player.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 am

When teams press aggressively he goes MIA.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:51 am

not a big fan of this guy tbh

way too inconsistent.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:54 pm

I'd like to see ESR given a chance in there.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:17 am

Wowsers. Vs Palace.

28 passes completed. 71% pass completion. 0 chances created.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby #ST » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:I'd like to see ESR given a chance in there.

Yeah thats what I hate about this situation. I dont mind Odegaard at all, I dont mind him being a tad bit inconsistent either. Like I said before, part of being young.

But we got an AMAZING talent with ESR.

For me its a no brainer. Poor game? Alright ESR show your worth.

Instead Mikel will insist on playing Odegaard again and again..
Wembley:

Emirates Stadium:
#ST

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:56 am

Well he isn't going to drop his new captain so ........
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby #ST » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:54 am

theHotHead wrote:Well he isn't going to drop his new captain so ........

Yeah which is why this entire situation is crazy.

You got 2 talented playmakers.. instead of letting them compete for that spot, you name one of 'm captain.

I dont like how Xhaka ends up with the Captain armband when Odegaard is subbed out. F that shit.

Its a disgrace he has the shirt on, dont put even salt in our wounds by letting him wear the thing he threw on the ground.

Okay im drifting again from the topic. My point is: Odegaard can start, but let him rotate/compete fairly with ESR.
Wembley:

Emirates Stadium:
#ST

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am

Odegaard should have never been captain, it should have been someone like Gabriel who is a mainstay in the team.

Odegaard shouldn’t be based on his performances.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am

The captaincy with Odegaard makes no sense, neither does Arteta's reluctance to play ESR more, ESR saved his arse in 2 seasons out of 3 so far !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk