Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 am

I would say both ESR and Odegaard need to improve that part of their game (goals/assists). ESR in general is a more consistent player than Odegaard, Odegaard has the greater ability.

If ESR adds goals and assists he will be world class immediately, cos the rest of his game is there. Odegaard needs to add that plus consistency, for him to become world class.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 am

theHotHead wrote:I would say both ESR and Odegaard need to improve that part of their game (goals/assists). ESR in general is a more consistent player than Odegaard, Odegaard has the greater ability.

If ESR adds goals and assists he will be world class immediately, cos the rest of his game is there. Odegaard needs to add that plus consistency, for him to become world class.

I think this is way off the mark.
Odegaard looks like a player who will keep the ball moving and occasionally hit a long ball that causes danger, but I don't see him as having even close to the ability for ESR, either in level or range of skills. I think he is more than 2 years older too and should've developed more than ESR. Looking for Odegaard to come good, whilst ESR already has.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:59 am

Can't agree with that at all, Odegaard has a far greater range of passing and vision than ESR, its not even close in my opinion.

ESR excels with his movement, his passing is also far less risky, but you need players that take on risky passes as well as the more obvious safe passes.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:56 am

theHotHead wrote:Can't agree with that at all, Odegaard has a far greater range of passing and vision than ESR, its not even close in my opinion.

ESR excels with his movement, his passing is also far less risky, but you need players that take on risky passes as well as the more obvious safe passes.

Maybe, I'm the only one, but he really reminds me to Ozil. He has better work rate though, which is good.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:47 pm

no you are not the only one, the first game I saw him play for us I said he was EXACTLY like Ozil, in his technique, obviously he has a whole load more visible running, he was chasing down the keeper and defenders a lot.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:no you are not the only one, the first game I saw him play for us I said he was EXACTLY like Ozil, in his technique, obviously he has a whole load more visible running, he was chasing down the keeper and defenders a lot.

I have not seen him reach close to that level.
I've only seen 1 footballer playing for Arsenal since the 70's that had a better weight of pass than Ozil or was as good as making the right decision with a pass - and that was Bergkamp. Odegaard has a long way to go to get to that level.
He does show glimpses, but his decision making is suspect - he's too quick to play it safe.
I agree his work rate is good - I'd put him more in the Jordan Henderson or Declan Rice mould than Ozil.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Goonerz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:19 pm

He worked very hard all over the pitch, pressed, closed down and pressured from the front.
He also got into the CM position a few times and tried to that later Santi role.
He also tracked back and put in some good block in our penalty box to stop crosses.

But he was very passive in that final 3rd. Played very safe with so many safe passes instead of trying to take a risk more often..
And he also seemed very shot shy even when he got into good shooting positions.

Needs more improvement in the final 3rd.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Goonerz wrote:He worked very hard all over the pitch, pressed, closed down and pressured from the front.
He also got into the CM position a few times and tried to that later Santi role.
He also tracked back and put in some good block in our penalty box to stop crosses.

But he was very passive in that final 3rd. Played very safe with so many safe passes instead of trying to take a risk more often..
And he also seemed very shot shy even when he got into good shooting positions.

Needs more improvement in the final 3rd.

I think that is about spot on.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:no you are not the only one, the first game I saw him play for us I said he was EXACTLY like Ozil, in his technique, obviously he has a whole load more visible running, he was chasing down the keeper and defenders a lot.

I've only seen 1 footballer playing for Arsenal since the 70's that had a better weight of pass than Ozil or was as good as making the right decision with a pass - and that was Bergkamp. Odegaard has a long way to go to get to that level.
He does show glimpses, but his decision making is suspect - he's too quick to play it safe.
I agree his work rate is good - I'd put him more in the Jordan Henderson or Declan Rice mould than Ozil.

Jay we are not saying he is at Ozil's level, we are saying his style of play is just like Ozil.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:52 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Jay we are not saying he is at Ozil's level, we are saying his style of play is just like Ozil.

Which Ozil? Prime Ozil or latter days Ozil? Lol.
Anyway, I assume Arteta told his players not to pass too quick or too often unless they play on the left side.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby ag6789 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Looked good today. Played w/more assurance. Free kick was super.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:23 pm

ag6789 wrote:Looked good today. Played w/more assurance. Free kick was super.

Hopefully, the goal gives him the confidence to shoot more.
We don't take enough shots from distance.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 pm

Honestly thought he and ESR were poor.

They saw Burnley's two banks of 4 and looked like deer in the headlights.

We barely had possession or anything, Auba was left hanging.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:46 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Honestly thought he and ESR were poor.

They saw Burnley's two banks of 4 and looked like deer in the headlights.

We barely had possession or anything, Auba was left hanging.

We had the majority of possession and almost twice as much possession in the final third than Burnely did.
Odegaard had more possession than any other player on the pitch.
ESR was on the average for possession despite only playing part of the game and had 2 good chances to score.

Auba just didn't get in the game. He wasn't good enough on the day, but I don't entirely blame him as he was playing out of position.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk