Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (11)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 am

theHotHead wrote:I see your point Jay but I only part agree. What Odegaard has and does most other players can't. Vision is not something you can teach, playing Guendouzi's game is far easier and can be taught.

Guendouzi looked best in his first season with us, but then he seemed to stagnate, and I think flattered to deceive a lot. His game boiled down to twisting and turning into trouble and lots if safe passes.

That is exactly the point. Guendouzi did stagnate. But he was at a level in his first season as a very young player that is better than Odegaard is showing.
I saw 45 minutes from Odegaard Vs West Ham where I thought, yeah looks quality.
Beyond that I have seen nothing from him that suggests he is good enough to be in any team with aspirations of winning the PL or even getting to 4.

The idea that we would pay 50m is a total non starter.
He's worth between 5-10m and even then is a gamble that he can more consistently play like he did Vs West Ham.

... And in all honesty, why is Arteta giving him even a second of game time??? He's not available to buy anyway, yet we have the Real Madrid player taking up space and not even playing well.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 am

I'd like to see this Azeez chap get some game time, can't be worse than Ceballos has been in recent weeks, he looks quality on the ball, better than Elneny and Xhaka.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 01, 2021 10:42 am

theHotHead wrote:I'd like to see this Azeez chap get some game time, can't be worse than Ceballos has been in recent weeks, he looks quality on the ball, better than Elneny and Xhaka.

Agree.
The way out of the mess we are in is to bring through young talent and either they are good enough for the top 4 level or they can be sold for 20+ m.
Just bring through as many as possible. I maintain that the difference between what we can find in young talent that can develop is not much different from splashing out millions on players that are driven by huge agency firms with a PR machine behind them. Odegaard is a prime example. He's not made it at RM despite being there for 4 years. Loaned out every season. Yet, the media and by extension the fans talk about him as if he is world-class. It's a false economy. ESR >>>>> Odegaard and we got ESR through development.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby KG3 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:49 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I'd like to see this Azeez chap get some game time, can't be worse than Ceballos has been in recent weeks, he looks quality on the ball, better than Elneny and Xhaka.

Agree.
The way out of the mess we are in is to bring through young talent and either they are good enough for the top 4 level or they can be sold for 20+ m.
Just bring through as many as possible. I maintain that the difference between what we can find in young talent that can develop is not much different from splashing out millions on players that are driven by huge agency firms with a PR machine behind them. Odegaard is a prime example. He's not made it at RM despite being there for 4 years. Loaned out every season. Yet, the media and by extension the fans talk about him as if he is world-class. It's a false economy. ESR >>>>> Odegaard and we got ESR through development.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Guendouzi is someone who'd have massively excelled under Klopp or Conte. Not as much under Pep as he needs players with elite technique for his style to work.

I'd love to see a partnership between Guendouzi and Thomas in the middle, with ESR/new CAM in front of them. Sadly, his career at Arsenal seems to be done and dusted as long as Arteta is in charge.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:48 pm

KG3 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Agree.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 01, 2021 7:35 pm

My problem with spending big money on odegaard is that we already have esr in that position. We need cover, not two starters, we've already seen one played out wide or as a false 9 to accomodate both which isn't great. The big money should go on a partner for partey and a striker (and a right footed CB if Saliba/Mavrapanos doesn't return). There are other areas that need money to be spent imo. I'd prefer another year on loan tbh.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Not worth. He and Ceballos must go back to RM. Need a quality CM at any cost. Otherwise we are doomed.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Not as good as ESR.

Send back end of season.

The way RM are dangling a £50m price tag in front of our faces is insulting, what sort of mugs do they take us for, that's at least £20m over the odds.

Fk them, take your players back, the funny thing is we have better ones.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Mon May 03, 2021 6:07 am

Save the money we have ESR 50 mil lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 03, 2021 6:42 am

Nope, I would like him to stay. Seen enough of him to see his importance, the ability to keep the ball.

He wont get an assist but without his pass there is no cross and no goal for Auba!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 am

Real won’t sell, they’ve said as much.

Certainly not worth anywhere near 50 million either, he’s done OK here but considering he’s spent his entire career on loan in today’s market he’s perhaps worth 20 -25 million tops.

It’s not like he’s been amazing for us, he’s done a steady job, coming here hasn’t really increased his value.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am

theHotHead wrote:Nope, I would like him to stay. Seen enough of him to see his importance, the ability to keep the ball.

He wont get an assist but without his pass there is no cross and no goal for Auba!

I wouldn't mind seeing him stay for 5m.
A pass like the one to Martinelli was indeed well-weighted but they are few and far between with Odegaard.
If he was doing that once or twice every game I'd be more enthusiastic.

I suspect, once again, we'll make the wrong decision and loan him again, thus stifling ESR for another season.

What would you be happy paying for him?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 pm

Another year on loan might be a good idea
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm

I like this kid. He's done well since joining. Can't see a deal happening though
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk