Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (11)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Just develop Smith Rowe in that position. Saka is good enough to cover if necessary.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm quite relieved that parallel to his standard below par performances which were supplemented with a 1 in 10 ratio of commendable good outings to make a modicum of sense as to why we considered purchasing him in the first place, Dani Ceballos has now practically stated that he is merely awaiting clearance from air traffic control to take off down the runway

Similarly, that Martin Odegaard possess pretty much all of the attributes we would desire from an attacking midfield talent is all but rendered a moot point if his vision is impaired by imaginings of the Bernabau, whilst 2 or 3 tugs on his shirt act to reveal a Real Madrid one underneath.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the muzzle of a Desert Eagle .50 hand gun needed to be pressed against his temple in order to get him here in the first place, but I am not convinced that he doesn't harbor a reluctance to leave them that is stronger than his desire to join us regardless of the excellent work by his PR advisor.

With my perception of what I believe our midfield is being re-fashioned into, yes there is scope aplenty to accommodate the fella with Emile Smith-Rowe as opposed to being direct rivals for the same position as numerous posts have suggested and likely governed by a one or the other outlook. That I am also championing us adding Emi Buendia to that little wolf pack of attacking midfielders should ensure we never need suffer some of the turgid football we've had to endure over the last couple of years for want of some creative flair and invention.

However, regardless of what I believe the Norwegian could end up bringing to the party next season, a price tag much further north of £20-25M would give cause to my wanting us to redirect our focus elsewhere after another call to Easy Jet requesting a second seat and one way ticket to Madrid.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 03, 2021 5:24 pm

We won't win anything with young loanees that can't get time at their own clubs.

Odegaard is OK but we gain nothing from developing him. We need players that can deliver now. It would be one thing if he was performing like Lukaku at West Brom, but he isn't.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Paddy » Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm

id rather put the money towards soumare or bissouma
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Paddy wrote:id rather put the money towards soumare or bissouma
Me too
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 pm

aniym wrote:We won't win anything with young loanees that can't get time at their own clubs.

Odegaard is OK but we gain nothing from developing him. We need players that can deliver now. It would be one thing if he was performing like Lukaku at West Brom, but he isn't.

Whilst it won't ever carry the same weight of relevance as Hansen's famous 'you won't win anything with kids' quote, that is the danger of making statements that are overarching. I am not at odds with the sentiment or applied logic, but can't be as readily dismissive of the other side of the coin.

We sent Serge Gnabry out on loan. The same Serge Gnabry who is a main stay of European Champions Bayern Munich and the German national team. That nobody could've see that coming gets shot down by Wenger wanting him but falling foul of his own dithering and the club's poor contract management highlighted by Wolfsburg's £5M outlay returning a 600% mark-up less than a year later.

We've sent Billy Saliba out on loan. The same Billy Saliba currently receiving a steady stream of positive reviews and acclaim that haven't gone unnoticed by 2 or 3 heavy weight clubs apparently.

Yes you may indeed need a convergence of circumstances to set in motion a perfect storm where a couple of loanee's form part of a team battling it out for top honours.

But may we never forget those who choose to urinate on the rule book like Leicester City did, or that in November/December 2020, an ancient vocabulary that had long since been considered lost to civilisation and the modern world and unable to be deciphered or understood by Dr. Indiana Jones was once again spoken...'Spurs are top of the table and could win the title' (Father forgive me for I have sinned). The seismic shock of such an earth life ending event would have contained loanee's granted only one would be deemed young.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
aniym wrote:We won't win anything with young loanees that can't get time at their own clubs.

Whilst it won't ever carry the same weight of relevance as Hansen's famous 'you won't win anything with kids' quote, that is the danger of making statements that are overarching. I am not at odds with the sentiment or applied logic, but can't be as readily dismissive of the other side of the coin.

We sent Serge Gnabry out on loan. The same Serge Gnabry who is a main stay of European Champions Bayern Munich and the German national team. That nobody could've see that coming gets shot down by Wenger wanting him but falling foul of his own dithering and the club's poor contract management highlighted by Wolfsburg's £5M outlay returning a 600% mark-up less than a year later.

We've sent Billy Saliba out on loan. The same Billy Saliba currently receiving a steady stream of positive reviews and acclaim that haven't gone unnoticed by 2 or 3 heavy weight clubs apparently.

Yes you may indeed need a convergence of circumstances to set in motion a perfect storm where a couple of loanee's form part of a team battling it out for top honours.

But may we never forget those who choose to urinate on the rule book like Leicester City did, or that in November/December 2020, an ancient vocabulary that had long since been considered lost to civilisation and the modern world and unable to be deciphered or understood by Dr. Indiana Jones was once again spoken...'Spurs are top of the table and could win the title' (Father forgive me for I have sinned). The seismic shock of such an earth life ending event would have contained loanee's granted only one would be deemed young.

Nah, it's not the same. I don't remember where Gnabry went on loan, but he certainly didn't light the place up. Bayern came years later, after we'd already sold him to Werder Bremen. Same with Saliba, Nice aren't relying on him to deliver silverware or finish in Europe. They just need a warm body at CB and we made him available. They benefit from his talent more than we benefit from not paying his wages.

Whereas we on the other hand are challenging for Europa and/or the FA Cup, and trying to do it with loanees that aren't good enough for their home clubs. With Ceballos and Odegaard, Real benefit from us training them more than we benefit from having them.

Two examples of loans that worked out were Coutinho and Perisic at Bayern last year. Both contributed heavily to their CL win. Neither were inexperienced, in fact, the opposite was true. Their wages were too high for their home clubs, so they went elsewhere for a year.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 pm

Real Madrid can keep him last thing we need is another waste of money like Pepe, not even worth another loan let alone an actual transfer fee
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Get lost. Another garbage. F...off.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Not the caliber of player that should be starting an EL semifinal
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:25 pm

Not good enough
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 06, 2021 9:25 pm

aniym wrote:Not the caliber of player that should be starting an EL semifinal

Not good enough for PL level either.
Get rid of him as quickly as possible.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Godlop » Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 pm

He's not good enough. 50m saved on what would've been an embarassing signing.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby KG3 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:57 am

Have a feeling most of our transfer budget will be spent on this RM reject
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 20, 2021 8:58 am

KG3 wrote:Have a feeling most of our transfer budget will be spent on this RM reject

I certainly hope not.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk