Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (11)

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Power n Glory wrote:If we're focusing on chances created, Willian should probably be starting. Most would agree he's been poor all season and wouldn't argue for his inclusion in the team over any of these players despite creating more chances and having more assist than the majority of them.

@Hothead this is hypocrisy. Willian has more assists than Ozil in two years. He hasn't played as many minutes as Ozil's last season but has more assists and not far from creating the same amount of chances.

direct link image hosting

When Starman was saying Willian has more assists than Ozil in two years here was your response.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19286&start=1020&p=1912867&view=show#p1912867

Its a pointless point of info! May as well say Pepe was better than Auba for the period where Auba didn't score but Pepe did. Technically its correct but nobody in their right mind would bother to say it because Auba is miles better than Pepe. Shall we highlight Elneny scoring in a game that Auba didn't? Whats the point :dontknow:

Small sample sizes to suit an agenda/argument carry no wait, so why bother with them? Just because Willian is the present and Ozil is the past doesn't mean we should shit all over him for what I see is no reason whatsoever - especially because up to this 3 game run of assists everyone to a man thought Willian had been utterly useless this season.

Now stats don't matter but I'm the hypocrite? :clap: You see why I don't put much stock in some of these stats without context?

We're gonna leave this one here. Have a nice Easter fellas. :clap:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:13 pm

If Ødegaard genuinely wants to stay, I think Real would accept a £30m rising up to £40m deal in performance-related add-ons.

It could be the number of assists and/or Arsenal qualifying for the UCL, or winning the FA Cup or EL.

Such a deal could be worked upon. It all depends on where Zidane stands on Øde or if he continues as Real manager next season.

Any fee north of that would be over-paying for him. He's talented and has the potential but he's not a proven star yet. Player fees in this pandemic are saturated, so that's another advantage for us.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:07 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If we're focusing on chances created, Willian should probably be starting. Most would agree he's been poor all season and wouldn't argue for his inclusion in the team over any of these players despite creating more chances and having more assist than the majority of them.

@Hothead this is hypocrisy. Willian has more assists than Ozil in two years. He hasn't played as many minutes as Ozil's last season but has more assists and not far from creating the same amount of chances.

When Starman was saying Willian has more assists than Ozil in two years here was your response.

Its a pointless point of info! May as well say Pepe was better than Auba for the period where Auba didn't score but Pepe did. Technically its correct but nobody in their right mind would bother to say it because Auba is miles better than Pepe. Shall we highlight Elneny scoring in a game that Auba didn't? Whats the point :dontknow:

Small sample sizes to suit an agenda/argument carry no wait, so why bother with them? Just because Willian is the present and Ozil is the past doesn't mean we should shit all over him for what I see is no reason whatsoever - especially because up to this 3 game run of assists everyone to a man thought Willian had been utterly useless this season.

Now stats don't matter but I'm the hypocrite? :clap: You see why I don't put much stock in some of these stats without context?

We're gonna leave this one here. Have a nice Easter fellas. :clap:

Again..
You are making every attempt to shift your hypocrisy on to other people. From the way you won't let it go, it comes across that you are somewhat embarrassed about being caught.

Have a great Easter. :arse flag.gif:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:You questioned the Chances Created stat though !!

If I am delusional you are a big hypocrite. In fact even if I am not delusional, you are still a big hypocrite.

You all should too when you see Willian as one of our top players in that category.

I judge with my eyes not just stats.

Depends on what you are looking at. If the stat shows Willian has created the most chances, however shit he has been doesn't change the fact he has created the most chances. Does creating the most chances mean he has been our best player offensively? No, not in this case, I think Saka and ESR have been better, based on what I have seen.

You have taken an argument and dug your heels in with it. I have always been very careful about what I write, I choose my words carefully. I have never said Ozil had a great game because he created a few chances, if he was shit apart from the chances he was still shit.

Hence why I said it depends on what you are looking at. If you are looking purely at stats then the argument should be clear, inferences should be clear and only related to the stat. Your problem is you equate our support of Ozil as us suggesting he is great. Its nowhere near that. Simply put, Ozil was by far the best player we had at creating chances and keeping the ball moving. Everything else is just noise.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:You questioned the Chances Created stat though !!

If I am delusional you are a big hypocrite. In fact even if I am not delusional, you are still a big hypocrite.

You all should too when you see Willian as one of our top players in that category.

I judge with my eyes not just stats.

Depends on what you are looking at. If the stat shows Willian has created the most chances, however shit he has been doesn't change the fact he has created the most chances. Does creating the most chances mean he has been our best player offensively? No, not in this case, I think Saka and ESR have been better, based on what I have seen.

You have taken an argument and dug your heels in with it. I have always been very careful about what I write, I choose my words carefully. I have never said Ozil had a great game because he created a few chances, if he was shit apart from the chances he was still shit.

Hence why I said it depends on what you are looking at. If you are looking purely at stats then the argument should be clear, inferences should be clear and only related to the stat. Your problem is you equate our support of Ozil as us suggesting he is great. Its nowhere near that. Simply put, Ozil was by far the best player we had at creating chances and keeping the ball moving. Everything else is just noise.

In terms of chances created, ESR leads the team in key passes per game and Odegaard is also ahead of Willian.
The really ironic thing is that Odegaard's xA is actually quite low despite a high key passes per game number. Remember the pages of being told by PNG that Ozil was sh*t because his key passes were not setting up great chances? Odegaard is exactly the same, but he's 'superb'. :rofll:
The bigger irony is that Ozil, even in 2018/19 and 2019/20 had better numbers than Odegaard, by a large margin. Also better than ESR.

You're correct though chances created is only one stat It misses the really important link play of a CAM. The reverse pass to create dangerous situations, the slide rule weighted pass in behind the last defender out wide, or just the ability to find space, receive, hold and bring others into play. That is what Odegaard did well at against West Ham and what Ozil was a master at (top 3 we've ever had at the club, even in his last 2 seasons). We don't have a player even close to Ozil in that regard. ESR might get there one day, we'll see. Odegaard might too if he develops and we keep him.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Mate don't try it. I said you cannot argue with a stat that is clear. Goals scored. If one player scores more than another then there is no argument - one player has scored more goals than the other. Does it mean the player with more goals is "better"? No. Does it mean the player with more goals is a better goal scorer? Perhaps, but only for that specific period. The other player may have better stats over a longer period. Looking at a snapshot may not provide an accurate picture of a larger area. Can't believe I have to tell you this.

In the example above, Pepe over a short period scored more goals than Auba, but Auba's numbers over a longer period show him to be a significantly better goal scorer. Thats why I can dismiss Starman's stat, comparing Willian's stats to Ozils during a period Ozil was scapegoated and marginalised proves nothing at all, Willian is like shit on a shirt tail compared to Ozil. Not only that but when Willian has been shit he has been "the worst player on the pitch" shit with no redeeming qualities, for Ozil a shit game was him having to drop deep and not creating much. He still did good things on the pitch, didn't give the ball away endlessly.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:19 pm

Real Madrid are ready to sell midfielder Martin Odegaard in order to fund a move for Haaland. Odegaard is currently on loan at Arsenal and the Gunners are keen to secure a permanent deal for the 22-year-old. (Times)

But Haaland has reportedly told Real Madrid he wants to share a dressing room with Odegaard next season. (Star)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Ach wrote:
Real Madrid are ready to sell midfielder Martin Odegaard in order to fund a move for Haaland. Odegaard is currently on loan at Arsenal and the Gunners are keen to secure a permanent deal for the 22-year-old. (Times)

But Haaland has reportedly told Real Madrid he wants to share a dressing room with Odegaard next season. (Star)

Excellent. So we’re getting Haaland then.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:15 am

Ach wrote:But Haaland has reportedly told Real Madrid he wants to share a dressing room with Odegaard next season. (Star)

Sounds a bit suspect.

Must fancy him or something. :dontknow:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:48 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:But Haaland has reportedly told Real Madrid he wants to share a dressing room with Odegaard next season. (Star)

Sounds a bit suspect.

Looks like another one of those make-believe reports as they're both Norwegians.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:58 am

Angelito wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Sounds a bit suspect.

Looks like another one of those make-believe reports as they're both Norwegians.

Most likely.
Anything to add some drama and plot twists to drive those clicks.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:47 am

Makes things better for us though, if Real need to sell and we are Odegaard's preferred choice.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:05 pm

If Ødegaard genuinely wants to stay, I think Real would accept a £30m rising up to £40m deal in performance-related add-ons.

On what basis do you make such a statement Ang? Do you have a mole in the Real Madrid hierarchy? :dontknow:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby KG3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:54 pm

Can see why Zidane doesn’t rate him, can’t believe people want us to waste our transfer budget in this lol

Let’s just focus on ESR and use funds elsewhere theirs cheaper alternatives who we can find for rotation purposes
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 pm

KG3 wrote:Can see why Zidane doesn’t rate him, can’t believe people want us to waste our transfer budget in this lol

Let’s just focus on ESR and use funds elsewhere theirs cheaper alternatives who we can find for rotation purposes

Agree, he's done nothing special since we signed him. Couple of decent performances and suddenly worth 40m? Do me a favour.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk