Martin Ødegaard (8)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (8)

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:26 am

theHotHead wrote:But he has not developed, he is doing exactly the same as he has been doing from day 1 ! Its just now he has been given the tools he needed, he is playing in a system that works with his toolset.

Thats why I kept making the points that a) Odegaard looks good and b) the system we were playing is wrong.

We now have 3 or 4 players shining, you cant tell me its because Arteta developed them all in 2-3 weeks Jay!! Its because Arteta was a dipshit and has finally come to his senses!!

He’s been getting better through the season, developing well… not just 2-3 weeks.
Don’t know why you keep referencing 2-3 weeks. We’ve been doing well for over a year now.

Odegaard looks like he is developing better over that year than he did at Real Madrid.

He started this year mainly showing his ability to press intelligently, but has clearly got more comfortable with the speed and physicality of the PL as he plays more.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:But he has not developed, he is doing exactly the same as he has been doing from day 1 ! Its just now he has been given the tools he needed, he is playing in a system that works with his toolset.

Thats why I kept making the points that a) Odegaard looks good and b) the system we were playing is wrong.

We now have 3 or 4 players shining, you cant tell me its because Arteta developed them all in 2-3 weeks Jay!! Its because Arteta was a dipshit and has finally come to his senses!!

Yup. Games not changed at all.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Ach wrote:

Keown said about Odegaard on MOTD: “I will say that when he first came to the club, I was not his biggest of fans, but I have to change that opinion now because he really is developing. Clever movement that he has to receive the ball, first-class in that Arsenal midfield.”

I agree with Keown.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:41 pm

Kroenke talks a load or rubbish most of the time tbh.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Kroenke talks a load or rubbish most of the time tbh.

lol
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm

Maybe we should listen to Odegaard himself when he spoke 3 weeks ago...

Speaking to Viaplay Football (via HITC), Odegaard said: “We have a very exciting group of players here. They do a fantastic job with young players, giving us match time and helping us all the way. They not only give us the chance, but help us grow every year.

I feel that they have helped me a lot in the short period I’ve been here. I have been through a lot, despite my young age, and now I have joined a fantastic team, with young and promising players.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Kroenke talks a load or rubbish most of the time tbh.

lol

Lol
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:33 pm

Zenith wrote:Look carefully how often Ødegaard manipulates the ball to get away from pressure and progresses the play with either one touch, or maximum two touches. One of his biggest qualities is to find space in areas where there isn't any. He also uses his right foot more often than he's given credit for.

Yep, he definitely has the skill and technique to create space for himself. He's growing in confidence and starting to find his form. If he develops his strength and gets accustomed to the physical side of the game, he could turn into a handful. I think that's the area where Saka and ESR have the edge. If Ode starts turning his man and driving forward with the ball at his feet more, it's gonna create a lot of problems for our opponents.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:

Keown said about Odegaard on MOTD: “I will say that when he first came to the club, I was not his biggest of fans, but I have to change that opinion now because he really is developing. Clever movement that he has to receive the ball, first-class in that Arsenal midfield.”

I agree with Keown.

You would ! Keown would be happy with a player that just put himself about a bit, he isn't exactly someone that appreciates technique, he is more aligned with "Hulk Smash"
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:

I agree with Keown.

You would ! Keown would be happy with a player that just put himself about a bit, he isn't exactly someone that appreciates technique, he is more aligned with "Hulk Smash"

I'd say he has a fairly decent insight into the game HH.
Odegaard himself has already made the same point.

If you want you can discard their views , including the views of the actual player we're talking about (!), but that would only be to convince yourself of your argument.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:52 pm

Keown has lots of insights, no questioning that. What I do question is his ability to appreciate technique - especially when he says he didn't rate him when he first came to the club. Thats because Keown was a neanderthal on the pitch, the original caveman !! I've heard Keown critique players, he definitely more than a little bias toward the dirty side of the game, the roughhouse side.

So when Keown talks about skill or technique it doesn't register on my scale because he had none whatsoever. Its like an ugly bird telling me I am gorgeous, that means f**k all to me. If a pretty bird said it, thats some shit i want to know !! If Mesut Ozil was a pundit and started talking about players having to get "stuck in" I'd ignore everything the man said, he is the least likely player ever to get stuck in so I can't respect his opinion in that area.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:Keown has lots of insights, no questioning that. What I do question is his ability to appreciate technique - especially when he says he didn't rate him when he first came to the club. Thats because Keown was a neanderthal on the pitch, the original caveman !! I've heard Keown critique players, he definitely more than a little bias toward the dirty side of the game, the roughhouse side.

So when Keown talks about skill or technique it doesn't register on my scale because he had none whatsoever. Its like an ugly bird telling me I am gorgeous, that means f**k all to me. If a pretty bird said it, thats some shit i want to know !! If Mesut Ozil was a pundit and started talking about players having to get "stuck in" I'd ignore everything the man said, he is the least likely player ever to get stuck in so I can't respect his opinion in that area.

This isa guy that played and trained with Dennis Bergkamp. Don't tell me he does not recognise skill.
He's right about Odegaard. At first he wasn't great, but he has developed and Odegaard has said the same himself.
He's young and should keep developing too as he gets more experience of the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Leona was the one blindly supporting Wenger for years, he’s a bit of a mouthpiece for the club.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Keown has lots of insights, no questioning that. What I do question is his ability to appreciate technique - especially when he says he didn't rate him when he first came to the club. Thats because Keown was a neanderthal on the pitch, the original caveman !! I've heard Keown critique players, he definitely more than a little bias toward the dirty side of the game, the roughhouse side.

This isa guy that played and trained with Dennis Bergkamp. Don't tell me he does not recognise skill.
He's right about Odegaard. At first he wasn't great, but he has developed and Odegaard has said the same himself.

Odegaard is doing nothing now that he wasn't doing before ! There is no difference to his game.

He has begun scoring because Arteta stopped being a monumental dickwad and corrected the system. Jay, how can it be a coincidence that everyone looked shit until recently and now all of a sudden they all look good ?!! How can it be development when these players are doing the same shit they were doing before ! Odegaard looked good before but didn't have movement ahead of him so his option was a safe pass. all of a sudden we have movement and runners and options, I said, now Arteta has given him what he needs to use his tools. I said that we should sign Odegaard in the summer because he looked good - when half the forum said he was shit and not to sign him.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Odegaard is doing nothing now that he wasn't doing before ! There is no difference to his game.

He has begun scoring because Arteta stopped being a monumental dickwad and corrected the system. Jay, how can it be a coincidence that everyone looked shit until recently and now all of a sudden they all look good ?!! How can it be development when these players are doing the same shit they were doing before ! Odegaard looked good before but didn't have movement ahead of him so his option was a safe pass. all of a sudden we have movement and runners and options, I said, now Arteta has given him what he needs to use his tools. I said that we should sign Odegaard in the summer because he looked good - when half the forum said he was shit and not to sign him.

This is where you and I disagree.
I don't think we have looked shit until recently.
I think we have been showing flashes of good football for some time - over a year - but have been very inconsistent with it.
If you look at Odegaard's numbers it mirrors exactly that... he's had sporadic good games since he arrived, mixed with poor ones, but the difference is he is now starting to string performances together.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk